Bulk Restore from CSV - courses not quite as expected

Bulk Restore from CSV - courses not quite as expected

by Dan Jeffries -
Number of replies: 4

Hi

I am trying to create numerous courses via the CSV Bulk Course Upload facility, however I seem to experience some problems once the courses are restored.

Here's what happens:

1. After uploading the CSV file, I then upload the Backup course file

2. However, Moodle also asks me for some information about the course - Type, Sections etc.

Should this not be taken from the backup file?

3. All courses are restored, however their appearance is different. Yes it may use the Grid format (which I specified) but it loses settings such as Grid Size, border colour etc. Blocks are also not laid out as they were in the original course.

This means I then have to go in and tweak all the settings for each course and re-arrange/delete the blocks.

It takes far longer for me to do this than to manually restore a course, which I know will look exactly like the original course.

Am I doing something wrong in the Bulk Upload settings? Or is this the expected behaviour?

Thanks in advance!

Dan

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dan Jeffries

Re: Bulk Restore from CSV - courses not quite as expected

by Just H -

Lost me here, why would you bulk upload courses and then restore a course?

In reply to Just H

by Dan Jeffries -

Sorry if I'm not being clear...

When you upload the CSV file, you can state that it restores from a specific backup file (see attached).

BUT it also asks what Course Format you want.

Does the Backup file take precedence over these settings?

Even so, when using the backup file, it doesn't restore exactly as expected - losing settings such as Grid Size, for example.

Hope that helps!

Dan

Attachment Screen Shot 2016-08-23 at 14.46.49.png
In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Anything mentioned in the csv backup file will take precedent over the default settings that you put in the screen shown here.  However, your collapsed topics settings are going to come from how you have them set in your default collapsed topics settings in admin settings in moodle.  They are not going to come from the backup file itself.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Dan Jeffries -

Thank you Emma - that makes sense! I'll double check the default course settings for Grid and give it a go.