Creating a non-editing teacher-type role, who can see all courses?

Creating a non-editing teacher-type role, who can see all courses?

by Michael Mollard -
Number of replies: 1

Hi,

We have a decent sized moodle site (2.9.3), with a few hundred courses spread over 12 year levels of college.  All of our courses are NOT self-enrol (we automate that process, and also use cohorts extensively for group enrolment.

I have a group of teachers whose role is to assist students who need help, across any secondary year level, any course.  They need to be able to 'access' any course on an as-needed basis, because the student they are assisting could be enrolled in any of the courses, and the teacher may not know all the courses beforehand.  I understand there is a non-editing teacher role, but since the role is assigned during enrolment to a course, and the teacher doesn't know which course they'll need access to at any time, it doesn't really solve their issue.

I think what I'm asking is, is there any way for a user to be assigned a non-editing teacher type role across all courses (or a category, or group of courses)?  Do I look at enrolling them in ALL courses, or somehow activate a self-enrol ability on all courses.  I want to avoid the teachers getting a pile of email from each course (from forums etc).

Has anyone done this, or similar?  Or do you have any ideas on the best way to achieve this?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Mollard

Re: Creating a non-editing teacher-type role, who can see all courses?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I think it will work if you just assign the Non-editing teacher role as a site-level role, using Admin -> Users -> Permissions -> Assign system roles.

Now, of course, you can't do that by default. First you need to go to Define roles, and change the setting so you are allowed to assign non-editing teacher there.