BCU theme remove "My Courses" in top menu bar

BCU theme remove "My Courses" in top menu bar

by Annali Nicolaou -
Number of replies: 8

Hi,

I run Moodle 2.8 | BCU theme | Course format: Grid.

On my top menu bar there is a link called "My Courses" which I am struggling to remove. As per image 3.jpg attached.

I have managed to remove the icon next to the wording with CSS, but I cannot seem to get rid of this menu item.

I am not sure if this is something that has to be edited out with CSS/HTML, or if there is a back end setting in Moodle to get rid of this option?

The HTML code for this item is:

<a title="My Courses" data-toggle="dropdown" class="dropdown-toggle" href="https://dpshome.ctrack.co.za/CtrackLMS/my/index.php"><i class="fa fa-briefcase"></i><span class="menutitle">My Courses</span></a>

and the CSS is:

.navbar .nav > li > a {
  border-bottom: 3px solid #0082c8;
  border-right: 0 solid rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.2);
  color: #fff !important;
  float: none;
  font-size: 14px;
  font-weight: 400;
  line-height: 40px;
  margin-bottom: -3px;
  padding: 0 20px;
  text-decoration: none;
  text-shadow: none;
  text-transform: none;
}

ANY help with this issue will be greatly appreciated,

Kind Regards,

Annali Nicolaou

(Edited by Gareth J Barnard - Nothing to do with the Grid format so title adjusted as to not be misleading for others - original submission Wednesday, 17 August 2016, 12:39 PM)

Attachment 3.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Annali Nicolaou

Re: BCU theme - Grid Course Format | remove "My Courses" in top menu bar

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Guess I will give you the first standard answer that BCU is no longer supported and you should really consider switching to Adaptable theme.  Very few of us have any way to give you specific responses on this theme as most all of us have already made the switch.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Annali Nicolaou -

Hi Emma,

That is bad news sad Will I be able to install Adaptable on my Moodle 2.8 Framework?

If I decide to upgrade my Moodle to 3.1, how will this impact my LMS that might not be compatible with my older version plugins?

Thanks so much

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
All you have to do is, get the list of additional plug-ins and see if they have updates available to support latest version, or even if not latest, then 3.0, should be available for plug-ins supporting 2.8.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I would highly suggest trying to upgrade simply for the performance improvements.  Not sure if it is just me, but I have seen performance improvements with the last few versions.

I would suggest setting up a test site (you can do this on your desktop computer, there are windows and mac installers) and testing out your plugins.  I still use several plugins that haven't been updated for many years but still work.  Others don't so you really just need to test them all on the new versions, regardless of what the documentation says.

So far, with 3.1, I have only had to uninstall one of my 38(!!) plugins and that is the login/logout block.  

Re: BCU theme remove "My Courses" in top menu bar

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

If you have access to the files on your moodle server then you could remove the code that adds
the "My Courses" link in teh BCU theme. The filename is called renderers.php and the location is as follows:

moodle/theme/bcu/renderers.php

This is the code:

https://bitbucket.org/bcu/moodle-theme_bcu/src/c063c933ff21b56149c156a10110b6fdf4b86f1e/renderers.php?at=BCU-185&fileviewer=file-view-default#renderers.php-838:885

You will need to scroll down that page and find the part that is highlighted in blue.

Its an option...not the best of fixes but it will stop the list being generated and displayed.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Annali Nicolaou -

Oh my goodness Mary, you are a rockstar! Thank you SO much for helping me with this. I have been struggling with this for such a long time.

We are definitely going to upgrade to Moodle 3.1 with the new  Adaptable theme, we are just waiting for more server space in order to start implementing this on a Dev environment before we go live.

I have one last question please. The "Home button" has a roll over button that displays "No enrollments found" (image attached), how do I remove that? PHP is not my strongest suite, and I have looked at the code, but it's all Greek to me smile I suspect you remove it somewhere here:

if (isloggedin() && !isguestuser()) {
            $branchtitle = get_string('home');
            $branchlabel = '<i class="fa fa-home"></i> '.$branchtitle;
            $branchurl   = new moodle_url('/');
            $branchsort  = 9998;
            $branch = $menu->add($branchlabel, $branchurl, $branchtitle, $branchsort);

I basically just want a Home button, that takes the user back to the main page & the Help button.

Thank you!!!!

Attachment 5.jpg

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

Has this always happened? Or has it just started since you removed the My Courses link?

I only ask because "No enrolments found" looks more like the title of the My Courses link when no enrolled courses exist!

If so then the I need to check how that link is added to menu bar...

Mary