migrate Moodle from hosted to self-hosted site if you don't have full access on hosted instance

migrate Moodle from hosted to self-hosted site if you don't have full access on hosted instance

by Mike Warner -
Number of replies: 13
Hi all,

I'm investigating the options for automating a migration from a hosted Moodle (where support is horrible) to our own Moodle instance.  I know that, with admin-level credentials, I can screen-scrape, etc. to get just about all of the data, but that would be time consuming to build and tricky to make sure that I don't miss anything.  Since it's a hosted environment, he can't install modules or anything that could help with this.

Are there any tools that I haven't found in my searches or does anyone have any tips?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Warner

Re: migrate Moodle from hosted to self-hosted site if you don't have full access on hosted instance

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Mike, how BIG is your Moodle currently on hosted account? I mean, size of database and  moodledata folder?

regarding missing, you can download moodledata and database on to your local machine, and make sure you have fully, then all is left is to upload to your new server. btw, you can as well use your local machine as staging server to see if everything came intact.

It's definitely not time consuming, as long as you have bandwidth in abundance.

In reply to Usman Asar

Re: migrate Moodle from hosted to self-hosted site if you don't have full access on hosted instance

by Mike Warner -

I don't have full access, but I do see the Migrate Database option under Site Administration >  Experimental, but I've never tried it and it will probably raise red flags in the host, I imagine.

I see no way to get the moodledata folder data.

We want to test the migration without letting them know until we're sure that the migration strategy works.  I'll ask whether his contract has a clause that allows him to get a full export of the database and uploaded files.

In reply to Mike Warner

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

If you migrate the database from within Moodle, it should not alert the host and it is really none of their business anyway!  It is your data!

Unless you are on on service that it fully supporting moodle for you, you should have some sort of file access to the server.  

Depending on the size of the site, you could just export your courses and then rebuild by restoring to the new site.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Mike Warner -

It's a fully supported instance, so there's no cpanel or ftp access.  Well, I use the term "supported" loosely, given the poor quality of support.  LTI outcomes from established vendors are still not working after many months of trying to get them to fix it.  That's the reason for the migration.  Plus, while I wasn't told how much, I'm sure that they're paying too much for what they're getting.

In reply to Mike Warner

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Mike, define them a new company policy of yours, to keep back-up of Moodle (together with DB, moodledata and moodle) folder on site. (This is one possibility)

The one you're talking about, migrating DB, I would think about using it  as last resort, as in most cases, database resides locally on hosting servers, and possibility of giving remote access to transfer DB over will may become hurdle, unless you are setting up server in house, then it can be a possibility.

Even if they haven't provided you with CPanel that you can look into your account files, which may look like the reason, as CPanel cost licensing fee, the least they could have done is given FTP access to the root of your account, additionally given you PHPMyAdmin to access your database, both of which are free to implement, and I dont have any doubt if given a valid reason, they can' provide you with both.

And reason can be simple, you dont even have to define a new company policy, just tell them that you have to manually upload some data  into moodle and  moodledata folder and for database, you need access to look into tables. This way you can backup both without issue and giving them a clue that you have plans to migrate., and they shouldn't have any issue with that as well, for both FTP and PhpMyAdmin isolates your account with others residing on the server.

And if they are so sensitive in giving access to customers, then as Emma said, backing up courses and restoring them into new moodle - this will give your moodle a  fresh start as well.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Usman Asar

by Albert Ramsbottom -

Its your data and not theirs

The only way that your host wouldn't have access in CPanel or such alike to Mysql backups and moodle/moodledata backups would be if you had signed a rubbish managed agreement or you haven't paid your bill

If its the former then demand they give you backups immediately 

Albert

In reply to Albert Ramsbottom

by Mike Warner -

You're right, Albert.  It is my friend's company's data.  I was just hoping to run a test migration for a feasibility check before making the decision to break from the hosted Moodle company.

In reply to Mike Warner

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Some of the fully supported companies will not let you remove your data.  I would simply tell them you want to do some testing and need a copy of the website and see if they will give you access.  

Once again, another option would be to just backup the courses and restore them to a new site.  If the host site gives you trouble, that might be your only option.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

"Some of the fully supported companies will not let you remove your data"

That would seem to be a very, very good reason not to use them in my view, though I suspect people find out a long time after the choice of hosting is made.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Emma Richardson -

Totally agree but that is another story and the op has to deal with what he has!

In reply to Mike Warner

by Olumuyiwa Taiwo -
Picture of Plugin developers

Have you asked them for a copy of your database and moodledata folder and they've refused to give that to you? It's your (friend's) data and it doesn't seem right (and probably illegal in most jurisdictions) that they'll refuse to give it to you.

In reply to Mike Warner

by Mike Warner -

Thanks, all.  My friend is going to see if his company can resolve the issues with the hosted service first.  If he can't, I'll suggest copying the database and exporting the courses.

Mike