user profile page

user profile page

by Mark Little -
Number of replies: 9

Hi,

I am trying to change the appearance of our Profile page in our moodle installation, we are using Moodle 2.97..

At the moment it looks very plain, I want to make it look better... I can't see how to do it... this is what ours look like..

Thanks

Mark

profile page

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Little

Re: user profile page

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Mark,

Which Moodle version and theme are you using?

With kind regards,

Hartmut

In reply to Hartmut Scherer

by Mark Little -

Its a very old theme from 1.9 which has not been modified alot...

but the person who did this has left the college and i am trying to pick up where they left off, but i don't really get how the themes work.. this has always been my weak bit in moodle.

just need to know how to change the part and not sure how

Thanks

In reply to Mark Little

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

OK - firstly and appreciating that you have said themes are not your area Mark but for the sake of anyone else who comes across this thread, this is NOT a Moodle1.9 theme which has not been modified a lot! 1.9 themes do not work in Moodle2 or 3 without a complete rewrite and you said above that you are using Moodle 2.9.7. They work in a completely different way and although it would be possible to recreate the look and feel of an old theme, it certainly cannot be done without that major rewrite.

I would take a guess then, that someone may well have copied that old theme across into your new site, but it isn't being recognised as such by your Moodle site and that you are actually using Clean (the default theme). You can check this by going to Site Administration -> Appearance -> Theme Selector and seeing what theme is listed there as the default theme.

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello there. I'm not a themer either but if it helps, if the Moodle site in question is the one in your profile details then it appears to be using Formal white.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mark Little -

sorry yes it is Formal Whiite

In reply to Mark Little

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You would be far better off at this point to switch to a newer theme which is responsive.  A theme this old really is not worth putting any time or energy into.  

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Mark Little -

Hi,

I can't change the theme it has has been modified by the previous staff member too fit in with our different Departments colours at the college.

I can only modify it, I wanted to add the user profile toggle in the header like some new themes have but i can't seem to get it working in the theme. That's why i am trying to update it but i don't know what to change.

Mark

In reply to Mark Little

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Ok, using the 'design sketches' you have with what you want it to look like, break this down into the different elements then using 'web developer tools' find the 'classes' etc. of those elements and use that as a 'crib' to searching the code to find where its generated.  Then with that knowledge you can start to work out how each given element could (or could not) be changed in the theme.  If not then you might have to resort to CSS rather than PHP changes.  Even though you might have been told it cannot 'change' you would be 'adding' to it and therefore not breaking what has already been done.

In reply to Mark Little

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

There is a renderer that can be overridden - take a look at the flexibase theme as I did it there to make use of flexbox and bootstrap panels. Those particular components may not be what you are looking for but you will be able to see the renderer and how I did it. (Note: Flexibase is a bootstrap3 theme using Bas' bootstrap as a parent, so you probably wont be able to just 'lift' the renderer from there, but you can use it as a guide).

Alternatively, there's quite a bit you can do just by using firebug or chrome developer tools to find the appropriate selectors and then simply using css to add some better styling to the page smile

https://github.com/roelmann/moodle-theme_flexibase/tree/master/classes/output/core_user/myprofile

HTH

Richard