Using shibboleth and other authentication methods at the same time

Using shibboleth and other authentication methods at the same time

by Dirk Grunwald -
Number of replies: 1

We previously used LDAP authentication. In that setup, we had a password box that would accept user input and if the user was manual or ldap, they would login from that box.

When we switched to shibboleth and disabled the ldap authentication, I expected the configuration to more or less follow the same options - you enter name & password, hit enter and be logged in. However, by default, none of the shibboleth logins would work at that box -- I'm directed to the invalid login dialog. 

So, I changed the alternateloginurl to be /auth/shibboleth/index.php (the apache config had that file protected by shibboleth). Now, when people login, if they're not in the manual category, they get directed to the authentication website to login; granted, they only have to do this once per session.

I'm wondering if this is the intended operation? Ideally, we would have the information from the login box directed to the shibboleth agent without being directed to a different website.

And, it's not clear to me how to use shibboleth and another authentication method since we need to modify alternateloginurl to get anything to work.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dirk Grunwald

Re: Using shibboleth and other authentication methods at the same time

by John Okely -

Are you using a custom theme? You could try switching the theme for your user to clean and see if the problem still happens so you know if the theme is the cause.

The login button in moodle should redirect straight to shibboleth if it's the only auth method (without the need for alternateloginurl). And if it's used with another auth method you should get a page asking you whether to go to shibboleth or normal authentication.