Navigation block visible for teacher only in editing mode

Navigation block visible for teacher only in editing mode

by Gerald G. -
Number of replies: 4

Hello all,

We have a problem with the navigation block for teachers. The block should be hidden for students, but visible for teacher and admins. For students and admins it works quit fine, but teacher only see the navigations block, if they turn on the editing mode.

The same question was discussed before in the forum with the link below.

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=204336#p1276047

Is there a solution for this problem or any workaround?

Thank you for your answers.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gerald G.

Re: Navigation block visible for teacher only in editing mode

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

I moved this from the theme's forum as this is not a theme problem, unless this works differently in another theme.

In order that people can help you can you please tell us what version of Moodle you are currently using and also what permissions have been set in the Navigation block?

Thank you

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Gerald G. -

Thank you for your answer.

We use Moodle 3.1.1 and the navigation block has the following permissions: moodle/block:view is set only for manager. 

In course editing mode a teacher can see the navigation block despite he/she has no permission for it.

We discovered that the authenticated user overrides the permission of the teacher and student role for this block in a course. If the correct permission are set.

In reply to Gerald G.

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Gerald,

I discovered the same problem. And I don't know why the navigation block is visible for teachers while in edit mode. I also set view and edit block permission for the teacher's role to allow - no success. 

If you can allow teachers the course creator role, they will see the navigation block. If this is not suitable for you, you may have to create a new role based on the course creator role and prevent some or most of the course creator's additional capability.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

In reply to Hartmut Scherer

by Gerald G. -

Thank you for your answer. 

We are not able to assign the course creator role to the teacher.