LMS in the NHS

LMS in the NHS

by Ben Sewell -
Number of replies: 1
Hello,

I work in a large NHS trust and we currently use totara as our LMS instead of the NHS OLM system. We have many benefits from using this system but wondering if anyone is using Moodle in NHS Trusts?

I always like to see what other trusts are doing and the pros / cons of each system?

A few must have features I'm unsure if Moodle has now.

1. Multiple completions of a course -
The main stumbling block we have is a member of staff attends a course that expires at a set date. We manage this with certifications in totara language, so a user will have many topics that they need to do for mandatory training and they can take them as and when necessary to keep to date with Mandatory Training compliance

2. Staff Data Hierachy - We take a data feed from our HR system to populate our totara based LMS. Can this be done in Moodle.

3. Data reports - totara has a lot of data report tools that can be run within the system, without this we can get round this through web based reprorting tools via things like configurable reports or even better things like web based JReport and other tinkery tools.

Any Help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ben

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ben Sewell

Re: LMS in the NHS

by Just H -

Totara is basically a fork of Moodle which added more business orientated functionality (possibly over simplifying but that's the general gist of it). Although Totara had a bit of a play with a community edition ("Seedlings") that died a death and was behind core Moodle by a couple of releases anyway. Although, I believe there may be something new on the horizon.

Along the same lines is Remote-Learner's ELIS. Remote-Learner, unlike Totara, publish their enhancements/added functionality to the public as plugins on github. Therefore, if the reason for the question is purely financial it would be worth having a look at the functionality ELIS can bring to the table and compare it with what you get with Totara (bearing in mind you would then have "the cost" of maintaining a purely open source system unless, of course, you moved to a commercial arrangement with Remote-Learner similar to your current deal with Totara).

Another option along a similar vein is IOMAD which could also worth comparing to see if it would meet your requirements. Can't say I've looked into IOMAD much since it was released but I have read good things about it.