General plugins

Re-engagement: allow timed release and improve completion rates.

Picture of Dan Marsden
Re-engagement: allow timed release and improve completion rates.
Core developersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersPlugins guardiansTestersTranslators
Peter Bulmer wrote the Re-engagement plugin for some of our clients a while ago and we have just released it in the moodle.org plugins database - One of our clients reports seeing completion in compliance courses rising from 66% to 90% as a result of using this plugin!

Using Re-engagement, a course creator defines how long they expect a learner to take to complete an activity, and after that time, Moodle emails the user if they haven't completed the target activity, hopefully bringing the learner's attention back to the course.

Course Creators are also able to use Re-engagement to provide time-released activities. For example if you want to release a quiz within your course 1 week after an assignment was completed, the Re-engagement can email the learner and release the next stage of your course.

More information on this plugin is available here:

https://www.catalyst.net.nz/news/catalyst-developer-releases-valuable-moodle-plugin
https://docs.moodle.org/en/Reengagement_activity

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
Picture of Justin Hunt
Re: Re-engagement: allow timed release and improve completion rates.
Particularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

This looks cool!

We could use this right away.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Hartmut Scherer
Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi Dan,

I was all excited about the newly released re-engagement plugin and installed it in Moodle 3.1.1. Unfortunately, I got an error message when I tried to change scales in Site administration > Grades as reported HERE. Today I wanted to uninstall the plugin. I could start the process in plugins overview but it never finished. In plugins overview, I see this:

re-engagement in plugins overview

Site administration > Notification doesn't trigger the installation. How can I completely uninstall this plugin?

With kind regards,

Hartmut

After reinstalling the plugin, I was able to uninstall it. 

Picture of Dan Marsden
Core developersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersPlugins guardiansTestersTranslators

cool - thanks for letting us know about the scale issue - I have just uploaded a new version to the plugins repo with a fix.

Thank you for your fast response. I installed the re-engagement plugin again. The problem with scales seems to be solved. 

Picture of Austin Powell
Re: Re-engagement: On Completion?

I've been testing the reengagement plugin to see if it will work for some of our courses.  I think I've got it working one way, but I can't seem to get the Email User: On Completion setting to work.  I also can't find this setting mentioned in the docs or forum posts.  I'm not sure if it's a very new feature, a broken feature, or if I'm just not understanding how it's supposed to work.  

What I think it should be doing is triggering (in this case) an email when the Target Activity is marked completed by Moodle.  Let me know if that isn't the case. 

Best I can tell though, it does not seem to be saving the target activity for me when I select one.  I set Email User to "On Completion," specify my Target activity, and click Save and return to course.  I then immediately click to edit the settings of it again, and there is "No target activity selected."  

Is this a bug or am I misunderstanding this setting's usage?

[using version 3.1.6 aka 2016082300]

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Ibrahim Fadl

Yes I am having also the same problem. the plugin is not sending emails to users and in the Target activity I choose an activity and when re-edit settings the Target activity is no more selected.

Picture of Dan Marsden

the target activity setting is only used when the tickbox "suppress email if target activity is complete" - the completion it is referring to in the e-mail setting is the completion of the reengagement activity -  takes a bit to get your head around.

I'll add some code to disable the target activity selector if the checkbox is unticked.

Picture of Austin Powell

Okay, now I think I understand.

So in order for this to send an email after an activity has been graded telling the student to move on, I'd need to use Access restrictions based on the graded assignment, and then set the Reengagement Duration to something like 5 minutes.  Got it.  Thanks.

Picture of Claudine Caro

I am also having a problem with receiving emails. 

I want an email sent out to the users when they complete a quiz activity. The quiz is identified as complete when the user successfully achieves the passing score. 

Reengagement details are:

• Email user: On completion
  • Suppress email if target activity complete: checked
  • Target activity: selected

(see screenshot)

I'm not sure if I should be checking the checkmark or not. 

Picture of Dan Marsden

The target activity setting allows you to remind users to complete an activity they have not yet completed. For example.

To remind users they must complete quiz 1
* set email user to "after delay"
* set email delay to the timeframe you want to remind users (eg 1 week)
   This timeframe will start from the time the user is able to "view" this re-engagement. This will be the enrolment date unless you have added any settings under "restrict access" for this re-engagement.
* set to suppress email if target activity complete and select the "quiz 1"

To achieve what you want - try this:
* Set email user to "on completion"
* Add activity restriction (under restrict access) to prevent access to this re-engagement until your quiz is marked complete.
* Ignore suppress email setting (leave unticked)
* In the Activity completion settings for the re-engagement set the "re-engagement duration" to something like 1 minute. This will automatically flag the re-engagement activity as complete after the duration specified (and all activity restrictions for the re-engagement are satisfied)
* This process relies on your scheduled task(cron) running correctly on your Moodle site.

hopefully that helps - it does take a bit to understand how the re-engagement activity works, but once you figure it out it can be quite useful!

Picture of Emanuele Aloi

Hi Dan,

I'm probably doing something wrong, but the plugin doesn't work for me.
As you can see from this picture, I followed your steps to remind users that they need to complete an activity:
* set email user to "after delay"
* set email delay to the timeframe you want to remind users (5 minutes)
* set to suppress email if target activity complete and select the "Corso" SCORM Package

From what I understand, with these settings, after 5 minutes users should receive the email. But this is not the case. What am I doing wrong?

Picture of Dan Marsden

1. Make sure you have the scheduled task process running correctly (Cron) - if your scheduled task is only running every 30min it may take longer than the set period for the users to receive an e-mail.
  2. Make sure users on your site can receive e-mails from other process (for example forum subscriptions)
  3. Check to see if you are using any custom roles to assign your students to the course that need the appropriate reengagment capabilities added.
  4. Check your spam filters to make sure it's not being caught somewhere.

Picture of Debbie Brown

This sounds like a very useful plugin, and I plan to test it out. Looking through the documentation, I don't see any mention of using re-engagement to encourage learners to continue working on a learning plan.  Is this feature included, or potentially on a future road map for the tool?

Thanks

Picture of Dan Marsden

Hi Debbie, 

our roadmap is heavily influenced by client funding and community contributions. smile

The re-engagment activity uses activity completion/restriction rules to manage when the e-mails should be sent - you can have multiple notifications within a single course, or you could set up a single notification in each course within your learning plan, encouraging users to complete each stage. Some of the code might be re-usable for someone wanting to develop a different plugin to manage notifications based on competencies/learning plans, but I'm not sure if it would make sense for an "activity" plugin to manage this behaviour for competencies/learning plans.

thanks,

Picture of Amanda Welch

I noticed that the return email address for the outgoing messages is not what I need it to be. Where is the "from" email address for those outgoing messages stored? I can't seem to find anything in the documentation, nor a "settings" for this plugin...

Picture of Dan Marsden

it currently uses the core Moodle setting for "noreplyaddress" 

thanks,

Picture of chaitanya varanasi

Hi,

This plugin works perfectly. However, I could not get the activity completion part to trigger an activity after the set delay. I don't see any criteria for activity completion. I assumed the re-engagement activity to be complete 5 minutes after the Email is triggered. But that is not the case. Please refer to the screen shot. I checked the activity completion report of the course and that does not have a tick for the re-engagement activity. Am I missing something?

Activity completion criteria

Picture of Scott McNeill

Hi Dan,

Can this plugin be used multiple times? Can I have several different messages with it's own set of restrictions / parameters before being sent. 

I want to have many different email templates to be sent out to students automatically based on what stage of the course they are at or depending on what they have viewed or marked complete. These various different re-engagement emails would need to be "on file" all at he same time.

Thanks

Picture of Dan Marsden

it's an activity module, so you can add as many of them to the course as you want. Probably best that you install it and see if it meets your needs?

Picture of Zanna Karsan

Hi there, 

I'm wanting to use the reengagement plugin to send a notification to users that they have one week left to complete the course before they will become unenrolled. 

I want to send it to users 173 days after enrollment but want to suppress the email if the target activity is complete. 

I have set all the parameters as follows: 

but I am confused about the relevance of the activity completion section. It will not let me change from 'show activity as complete when conditions are met'. This means that once the first set of e-mails have been sent the renegagement will be marked as complete and any users added at a later date will not receive the reengagement e-mail. Can you help? 

Picture of Amita Takke

Hi..

I am also having a problem with receiving emails…..

On moodle it's shows email is send but user didn’t receive mail. When I run cron.php (manually + from cpanel) it showing this error

“Scheduled task failed: Reengagement cron task (mod_reengagement\task\cron_task),Error reading from database

Re engagement settings are:

·         Email user: After delay

·         Email delay : 10 Minutes

·         Suppress email if target activity complete: checked

·         Target activity:  course name

·         Re engagement duration  : 15 Minutes

I’m using moodle 3.2.1

Please suggest me solution

Thank's in Advance

Picture of G Tanoto

I got the same error too, which reads:

Scheduled task failed: Reengagement cron task (mod_reengagement\task\cron_task),Error reading from database

I am also running Moodle 3.2.1.  Email does not get triggered.

My intent is to trigger an email after user is enrolled to a course, with welcome message and instructions to complete the course.  See attached setup.  Any guidance on how to fix this is appreciated.   Thanks.

Reengagement details setup

Reengagement details setup

Cron Task View

Picture of Dan Marsden
we've heard of this db error occurring but no-one has provided the full debug output - can you please check error logs, enable cron debugging and provide us with the full error?

Picture of G Tanoto

Here is the cron log file that I ran by executing the cronjob manually with this command

"sudo /usr/bin/php /var/www/html/moodle/admin/cli/cron.php"

Line 2 to 6 of the log below are related to the reengagement cron job.

=======================================================================

Server Time: Thu, 16 Mar 2017 21:50:33 -0400

Execute scheduled task: Reengagement cron task (mod_reengagement\task\cron_task)

... started 21:50:33. Current memory use 20.9MB.

... used 11 dbqueries

... used 0.060420989990234 seconds

Scheduled task failed: Reengagement cron task (mod_reengagement\task\cron_task),Error reading from database

Execute scheduled task: Background processing for caches (core\task\cache_cron_task)

... started 21:50:33. Current memory use 28.4MB.

Cleaning up stale session data from cache stores.

... used 0 dbqueries

... used 0.00035309791564941 seconds

Scheduled task complete: Background processing for caches (core\task\cache_cron_task)

Execute scheduled task: Automated backups (core\task\automated_backup_task)

... started 21:50:33. Current memory use 28.4MB.

Checking automated backup status...INACTIVE

... used 0 dbqueries

... used 0.030454874038696 seconds

Scheduled task complete: Automated backups (core\task\automated_backup_task)

Execute scheduled task: Award badges (core\task\badges_cron_task)

... started 21:50:33. Current memory use 33.9MB.

Started reviewing available badges.

Badges were issued 0 time(s).

Sending scheduled badge notifications.

... used 6 dbqueries

... used 0.013742208480835 seconds

Scheduled task complete: Award badges (core\task\badges_cron_task)

Execute scheduled task: Cleanup old sessions (core\task\session_cleanup_task)

... started 21:50:33. Current memory use 34.4MB.

... used 7 dbqueries

... used 0.017548084259033 seconds

Scheduled task complete: Cleanup old sessions (core\task\session_cleanup_task)

Execute scheduled task: Send new user passwords (core\task\send_new_user_passwords_task)

... started 21:50:33. Current memory use 34.8MB.

... used 1 dbqueries

... used 0.0017468929290771 seconds

Scheduled task complete: Send new user passwords (core\task\send_new_user_passwords_task)

Execute scheduled task: Send failed login notifications (core\task\send_failed_login_notifications_task)

... started 21:50:33. Current memory use 34.9MB.

... used 0 dbqueries

... used 2.4080276489258E-5 seconds

Scheduled task complete: Send failed login notifications (core\task\send_failed_login_notifications_task)

Execute scheduled task: Legacy cron processing for plugins (core\task\legacy_plugin_cron_task)

... started 21:50:33. Current memory use 35MB.

Running auth crons if required...

Running enrol crons if required...

Running cron for enrol_category...

Starting activity modules

Processing module function assign_cron ...

... used 4 dbqueries

... used 0.040885210037231 seconds

done.

Processing module function chat_cron ...

... used 5 dbqueries

... used 0.015365839004517 seconds

done.

Processing module function quiz_cron ...

Looking for quiz overdue quiz attempts...

Considered 0 attempts in 0 quizzes.

Starting quiz reports

Finished quiz reports

... used 2 dbqueries

... used 0.027885913848877 seconds

done.

Processing module function scorm_cron ...

... used 1 dbqueries

... used 0.0086159706115723 seconds

done.

Processing module function workshop_cron ...

processing workshop subplugins ...

Starting workshop allocation methods

Processing cron function for workshopallocation_scheduled...

... started 21:50:33. Current memory use 47.5MB.

... no workshops awaiting scheduled allocation. done. (1 dbqueries, 0 seconds)

Finished workshop allocation methods

... used 6 dbqueries

... used 0.023093938827515 seconds

done.

Finished activity modules

Starting blocks

Processing cron function for recent_activity....done.

Processing cron function for rss_client....

0 feeds refreshed (took 0.0015809999999999 seconds)

done.

Processing cron function for configurable_reports....done.

Finished blocks

Starting admin reports

Finished admin reports

Starting course reports

Finished course reports

Starting gradebook plugins

Finished gradebook plugins

Starting repository plugins

Processing cron function for repository_dropbox...

... started 21:50:33. Current memory use 51MB.

done. (1 dbqueries, 0 seconds)

Processing cron function for repository_filesystem...

... started 21:50:33. Current memory use 51MB.

done. (3 dbqueries, 0.01 seconds)

Finished repository plugins

Starting local plugins

Finished local plugins

... used 41 dbqueries

... used 0.21423602104187 seconds

Scheduled task complete: Legacy cron processing for plugins (core\task\legacy_plugin_cron_task)

Execute scheduled task: Background processing for gradebook (core\task\grade_cron_task)

... started 21:50:33. Current memory use 51.5MB.

... used 2 dbqueries

... used 0.0035550594329834 seconds

Scheduled task complete: Background processing for gradebook (core\task\grade_cron_task)

Execute scheduled task: Background processing for events (core\task\events_cron_task)

... started 21:50:34. Current memory use 51.6MB.

... used 2 dbqueries

... used 0.00325608253479 seconds

Scheduled task complete: Background processing for events (core\task\events_cron_task)

Execute scheduled task: Calculate regular completion data (core\task\completion_regular_task)

... started 21:50:34. Current memory use 51.6MB.

... used 6 dbqueries

... used 0.013550996780396 seconds

Scheduled task complete: Calculate regular completion data (core\task\completion_regular_task)

Execute scheduled task: Background processing for portfolio plugins (core\task\portfolio_cron_task)

... started 21:50:34. Current memory use 51.9MB.

... used 0 dbqueries

... used 2.0980834960938E-5 seconds

Scheduled task complete: Background processing for portfolio plugins (core\task\portfolio_cron_task)

Execute scheduled task: Background processing for legacy cron in plagiarism plugins (core\task\plagiarism_cron_task)

... started 21:50:34. Current memory use 52MB.

... used 0 dbqueries

... used 0.00024795532226562 seconds

Scheduled task complete: Background processing for legacy cron in plagiarism plugins (core\task\plagiarism_cron_task)

Execute scheduled task: Send calendar notifications (core\task\calendar_cron_task)

... started 21:50:34. Current memory use 52MB.

Updating calendar subscriptions:

... started 21:50:34. Current memory use 52.9MB.

Finished updating calendar subscriptions.

... used 1 dbqueries

... used 0.0052797794342041 seconds

Scheduled task complete: Send calendar notifications (core\task\calendar_cron_task)

Execute scheduled task: Sync external blogs (core\task\blog_cron_task)

... started 21:50:34. Current memory use 52.9MB.

... used 2 dbqueries

... used 0.0056819915771484 seconds

Scheduled task complete: Sync external blogs (core\task\blog_cron_task)

Execute scheduled task: Background processing for question engine (core\task\question_cron_task)

... started 21:50:34. Current memory use 53.3MB.

Cleaning up old question previews...done.

Cleaning up old question statistics cache records...done.

... used 6 dbqueries

... used 0.02364706993103 seconds

Scheduled task complete: Background processing for question engine (core\task\question_cron_task)

Execute scheduled task: Forum mailings and maintenance jobs (mod_forum\task\cron_task)

... started 21:50:34. Current memory use 53.4MB.

Starting digest processing...

Cleaned old digest records

... used 6 dbqueries

... used 0.024367094039917 seconds

Scheduled task complete: Forum mailings and maintenance jobs (mod_forum\task\cron_task)

Execute scheduled task: Incoming email pickup (tool_messageinbound\task\pickup_task)

... started 21:50:34. Current memory use 53.1MB.

Inbound Message not fully configured - exiting early.

... used 0 dbqueries

... used 0.001176118850708 seconds

Scheduled task complete: Incoming email pickup (tool_messageinbound\task\pickup_task)

Execute scheduled task: Cleanup event monitor events (tool_monitor\task\clean_events)

... started 21:50:34. Current memory use 53.4MB.

... used 0 dbqueries

... used 8.2969665527344E-5 seconds

Scheduled task complete: Cleanup event monitor events (tool_monitor\task\clean_events)

Cron script completed correctly

Cron completed at 21:50:34. Memory used 53.4MB.

Execution took 0.727149 seconds

Picture of Dan Marsden
We need the extra debug information that should show around the line:
"Scheduled task failed: Reengagement cron task (mod_reengagement\task\cron_task),Error reading from database"

but you will need to either look at your server error logs, increase the debugging level and turn crondebugging on to see more information around this - (further info on debugging cron should be in the docs/forums somewhere.)

Picture of G Tanoto

Here's the debug log from the cron job.  By the way, I am using MySQL 5.7.16 on AWS RDS

=========================================================================

Execute scheduled task: Reengagement cron task (mod_reengagement\task\cron_task)

... started 10:47:57. Current memory use 21.1MB.

Adding 0 reengagements-in-progress to reengagementid 4

... used 11 dbqueries

... used 0.06115984916687 seconds

Debug info:

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ' r.emailcontentmanager, r.emailcontentmanagerformat, r.emailsubjectmanager,

' at line 2

SELECT r.id as id, cm.id as cmid, r.emailcontent, r.emailcontentformat, r.emailsubject,

r.thirdpartyemails,, r.emailcontentmanager, r.emailcontentmanagerformat, r.emailsubjectmanager,

r.emailcontentthirdparty, r.emailcontentthirdpartyformat, r.emailsubjectthirdparty,

r.emailuser, r.name, r.suppresstarget, r.remindercount, c.shortname as courseshortname,

c.fullname as coursefullname, c.id as courseid, r.emailrecipient, r.emaildelay

FROM mdl_reengagement r

INNER JOIN mdl_course_modules cm ON cm.instance = r.id

INNER JOIN mdl_course c ON cm.course = c.id

WHERE cm.module = ?

ORDER BY r.id ASC

[array (

0 => '25',

)]

Backtrace:

* line 1094 of /lib/dml/mysqli_native_moodle_database.php: call to moodle_database->query_end()

* line 260 of /mod/reengagement/lib.php: call to mysqli_native_moodle_database->get_records_sql()

* line 54 of /mod/reengagement/classes/task/cron_task.php: call to reengagement_crontask()

* line 75 of /lib/cronlib.php: call to mod_reengagement\task\cron_task->execute()

* line 65 of /admin/cli/cron.php: call to cron_run()

Picture of G Tanoto

I think I found the root cause, which is the SQL statement in the lib.php file.  There is an extra comma in the statement for the $reengagementssql variable in line 249 of the file.

After removing the coma and re-deploying the plugin, it works now.  I have attached the revised file.  

This is a really nice plugin.  Thanks.

Picture of Dan Marsden
Awesome! - thanks for that info, I've fixed it in the github repo as well.

Picture of Andrea Rossi

Same here. I'm a bit confused about the "Activity Completion" section.
My intention is to send notifications (emails) to students continuously after a delay.
The re-engagement status can be considered as "complete" only on target activity completion.

How can i set the plugin for setting up the described scenario?

EDIT: I'm on Moodle 3.1

Picture of Robyn Lambell
Re: Re-engagement: activity completion

Hi, This is a very useful plugin but I am also a bit confused about what settings I should put for activity completion. 

I am confused about the relevance of the activity completion section. It will not let me change from 'show activity as complete when conditions are met'. This means that once the first set of e-mails have been sent the renegagement will be marked as complete and any users added at a later date will not receive the reengagement e-mail. Can you help? 

I am writing a work instruction for others and the Moodle documentation covers everything up to here.  I would like to know what I should put here and why I tell others to do that.

This question has been posted twice in this forum but I could not find an answer to this particular questions.

Picture of Kristin Merritt

Is there a way to get the re-engagement tool to read from an assignment's open date to remind them an assignment is due?

Picture of Dan Marsden

Great to hear you are finding the re-engagement plugin useful!

The plugin uses the standard Moodle activity restriction settings. There are a number of 3rd party activity restriction plugins but I couldn't see one that would allow you to base it on another activities "open date", However you can use a date restriction on the re-engagement activity by choosing to add a restriction, then selecting the "Date" restriction type and using the same date as the open date of your assignment.

More info on activity restrictions is available here:
https://docs.moodle.org/en/Restrict_access_settings

You can also see a list of the 3rd party activity restrictions here:
https://moodle.org/plugins/browse.php?list=category&id=57

Picture of Joseph Piper

Greetings,

I love this plugin! My only question is, is there a way to change the contact name of the email. All users are receiving the email from "Home" as seen before. Is there a way to change this?

Thanks,

Joseph

Picture of Dan Marsden

it should be using the standard settings in your outgoing mail configuration:

see: https://docs.moodle.org/en/Mail_configuration#Outgoing_mail_configuration

Picture of C Behan
Hi there,

Just sharing a nice short and clear explanation video for the Reengagement activity here:

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Picture of So Re
Re-engagement: no email for custom role memebers

Hi,

At first I'd say thank you for that amazing plugin.

We are on Moodle Build 20170525. Members of our custom roles are not getting any reminder mail. For members of the built in standard student role it is working fine.

This results in the question if special permissions are required on the custom role or are mails only sent to members of the standard Student role?

THX!

Sören 

Picture of Robyn Lambell

Hi, This is a very useful plugin (thank you) but I am also a bit confused about what settings I should put for activity completion. 

I am writing a work instruction for others and the Moodle documentation covers everything up to here.  I would like to know what I should put here and why I tell others to do that.

This question has been posted twice in this forum but I could not find an answer to this particular questions.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Picture of Hugo Ribeiro

Hi there,

Were you able to figure this out? I also find the completion part a bit confusing, specially because it forces to use completion.

This question has been asked here a couple of times and I'm still unable to figure this out.

Thanks in advance,

Picture of Robyn Lambell

Hi Hugo

No I have not and not sure that an answer if there is one has been posted. 

I have left it at 5 minutes and it appears to work but I would like to know if it is correct and if not what it should be.

Cheers Robyn

Picture of Dan Marsden

The duration settings/activity completion allows you to facilitate timed-release content in the course - see:
https://docs.moodle.org/en/Reengagement_activity#Timed_release

If you're not using timed-release you can just leave it blank.

The documentation site is a wiki - feel free to edit and improve it further!

Picture of Robyn Lambell

Thanks Dan.  Greatly appreciate your reply.

Picture of Hugo Ribeiro

Hi Dan,

Thank you for this great plugin. 

I have one question: the course name variable doesn't seem to be working. I get %coursename% on the message. Is this right or is it another variable, for instance fullcoursename?

%userfirstname% %userlastname% are both working.

Thanks in advance,

Picture of Dan Marsden

Picture of Hugo Ribeiro

That's it. Perfect.

Thanks!

Wazza

Hi Dan,

Love this plugin. But one question:

I have set up this activity and I have scheduled mail to be send next week.

However, I've come to my senses and do not longer want that this scheduled mail wil be send.

I have now set the re-engagement activity to send no Email to users.

This does not seem to work... the scheduled mail is still being displayed. Will it send the Emails anyway? I have also run the scheduled task for re-engagement, but this did not clean up the list of scheduled mails that will be send.

Is this correct behavior? Once scheduled, it can not be undone?

Wazza

Truncated mdl_reengagement_inprogress

John Provasnik at Moodle Moot US
Re-engagement: "Receive notification of reengagement completions"

Hi all - I was looking at the permissions for this module. 

Any idea what these two permission means? 

• Receive notification of reengagement completions

• Start Reengagement

I wasn't sure if one was for the student and one for the teacher.

Docs here didn't mention the permissions: https://docs.moodle.org/34/en/Reengagement_activity

Picture of Dan Marsden
Re: Re-engagement: "Receive notification of reengagement completions"

Hi John,

"receive notification" isn't used and shouldn't be there, I've just removed it from the codebase in github.

"Start Reengagement" is given to students and controls which users in the course will be listed in the re engagement activity.

thanks,

Picture of Adeel Mankee
How to send notifications to multiple users at the same time

Hello Dan -

We want to send email reminders to multiple users in a group. Can we do that with re-engagement plugin? We have tested but are not able to do so. Perhaps, we are doing something wrong. Please advise since this will cut a lot of manual work for us.

Very best,

Adeel

Picture of Hugo Ribeiro

Hi Dan,

Wondering if you can help me out. This is my usage..

I have a re-engagement pre-configured on several course's templates - which are invisible - with pre-enroled cohorts. Those emails are cancelled once a SCORM activity is completed, something that never happens because those are just templates. Unfortunately it seems those users are receiving a reminder for those courses so my question is: in order to send the emails does the code check if the course is visible? 

If not is there a way to solve this?

Thanks in advance

Picture of Dan Marsden

The latest version in github checks for "active" enrolments but it doesn't make an explicit check to see if the course is visible - if you're using an older version of the plugin, make sure you update with the latest version from github and see if that helps.

Picture of Hugo Ribeiro

Thanks Dan!

However this version sent the emails nonetheless. Do you think you could point me the direction where this could be added on the code? I'm not a pro coder, but could have a look into.

Kind Regards

Picture of Dan Marsden

I'd probably change the sql used to get re-engagements in lib.php reengagement_crontask() so that it didn't return re-engagements for courses that were set to not visible. Someone else here might help with the code if you're lucky!

John Provasnik at Moodle Moot US

Hi - If I wanted the module to send a daily reminder (for 14 days max) to complete an activity, how would I achieve that with the settings? 

I was trying "email delay" = 1 day

Reminder Count = 14

But It's saying the limit is 10... even though the help icon says "less than 5 days - limit of 10 reminders" so I wasn't  sure what I am doing wrong. 

Assistance appreciated. 

Thanks,

Picture of Hugo Ribeiro

Thank you! 

Well I think I was able to update the query successfully, but as soon as I updated to github version and access reengament activity I got this error: Exception - Call to undefined function mod_reengagement\table\get_viewable_roles()

The emails are sent anyway. Maybe I've updated the plugin badly?..

As for the code, when the time to send emails comes it will check if the course is visible or not.

SELECT cm.id as id, cm.id as cmid, cm.availability, r.id as rid, r.course as courseid,
                                r.duration, r.emaildelay
                          FROM {reengagement} r
                          INNER JOIN {course_modules} cm on cm.instance = r.id
			  JOIN {course} c ON c.id = r.course
                          JOIN {modules} m on m.id = cm.module
                          WHERE m.name = 'reengagement'
			  AND c.visible = 1
                      ORDER BY r.id ASC
What do you think?

Picture of safiyullah mohamed

Hi, I have a course with Single activity which contains SCROM package. How can i add re-engagement on this. Re-engagement only supporting Topic format type course alone. Please  guide me 

Picture of Emma Richardson
Documentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

You can't unless you switch from single activity.  Single activity means just that.  Re-engagement is an activity...

Picture of safiyullah mohamed

Thanks Emma.

If i change the format as  "Topic format" and contains one scorm and re-engagement then is there any possibility to open the scorm directly if i click the course instead showing course activities. 

Picture of Dan Marsden

try changing to topics format temporarily, add re-enagement to the course (make sure it's under the scorm package that shows) - then swap back to single activity format... it might just work.

Picture of Niall Sheehan

Good morning Dan.

We have installed the plugin on one of our sites and getting an error when a teacher or course content creator attempts to configure the activity. The error is: Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: notlocalisederrormessage

If edited/configured by an admin we don't see the error. Are special permissions needed to make this plugin work?

Thank you

Picture of Dan Marsden
That sounds like:
https://github.com/catalyst/moodle-mod_reengagement/issues/43

The user must have "reengagement:startreengagement" or "reengagement:editreengagementduration" to view the page.

reengagement:startreengagement should be given to students by default.

reengagement:editreengagementduration should be given to teacher and non-editing teacher by default.

You should be able to see the other capabliities related to the re engagement in your role configuration.

Picture of Ted Long

I'm really interested in using this plug-in but every time I try to set it up I just seem to tie myself up in knots and double-negatives!

I've got a couple of uses in mind, but would really appreciate anyone's help in selecting the correct settings to implement as I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong dead

Use Requirement 1:

Our courses consist of 3 SCORM packages and then a certificate activity when complete.  I'd like reminder emails to be sent to users two weeks after enrolling on the course but only if they haven't yet completed it?  And then this reminder to follow every few weeks thereafter?  But obviously not to email anyone who completes it.

(Maybe a separate issue, but what happens if users were enrolled on the course before we add the reengagement activity to it?)

Use Requirement 2:

Once a user has completed the course, I'd like them to receive a one-time summary email a few weeks after completion which can summarise what they learnt in that course.

If anyone could assist with what settings I need to do / get in place, that would be amazing!!  I'd owe you forever!!

Thanks

Ted

Picture of Ted Long

Anyone? sad