hardware and software needs for a powerfull moodle server

hardware and software needs for a powerfull moodle server

by Gonzalo Pacheco Alvarez -
Number of replies: 4

Hi there, thanks for helping me...

I'm about to get a contract for a project which consists giving a LMS service to 225,000 total users for an international companie that wants to start in Mexico but maybe it will expand to LATAM...

I think that there may be about 50,000 - 70,000 users online simultaneously because they will use the system for online training in all their areas along the country...

I really need your help because I need to know if moodle can support 225,000 registered users or more... And I really need your help about which kind of server do I need to get to give a good service to the companie.

Kind of server

RAM

ROM

Aditional services

Security

Bandwith

(Is it worthy to build my own server? How much could it cost?)

I really appreciate your help.

Regards,

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gonzalo Pacheco Alvarez

Re: hardware and software needs for a powerfull moodle server

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Of course Moodle can support even 2 million users as long as you have necessary hardware to serve with.

First question, Linux or Windows?

mentioning ROM is out of question, regarding RAM and Bandwidth, how do you intend to use Moodle? Video streaming, forum posts, quizzes etc?

Regarding location - are your users mainly located n Mexico?

In reply to Gonzalo Pacheco Alvarez

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You got a contract for a Moodle site with a quarter of a million users and you are asking these questions.... surprise

My first question would be, "is it true?".  People cast about huge numbers when they are seeking funding or just trying to look impressive. However, it is very likely that your first months/years may only need to handle a fraction of that. In which case you can run a more sensible site and can some experience and insight. 

Failing that... I know a lot about Moodle and I have quite a lot of experience in running very large Moodle sites. And I would be *very* worried about specifying a site for the sort of numbers you mention. This is not to say it won't work. It will. But you really need to know what you are doing...

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

"You got a contract for a Moodle site with a quarter of a million users and you are asking these questions.... surprise"

Exactly my first thoughts - the second one being if you have a client that doesn't know to ask you those sort of questions to ensure the person they are giving the contract to knows what they are doing, do you really want to work for that client!?

Client <-> contractor is a 2 way relationship - as a client I would want to ensure that my contractor had those kind of answers and expertise before giving them the contract, but as a contractor, I would want to know that the client had enough about them to ask me to show whether I have the level of expertise they need for such a large undertaking!

I would suggest looking at some of the bigger sites around (OU springs to mind but I'm sure there are others internationally) and speaking directly to some of them to ascertain what their systems are. But one thing that concerns me straight off is you are talking about 'a server' - singular, one, solitary... First advice in a system that size is you are going to need multiple servers, even if its just for testing, and for redundancy and fall backs, let alone separating app/database/data folder as appropriate.

Richard