Completion Tracking issue in Course

Completion Tracking issue in Course

by Whitney Lowe -
Number of replies: 8

I am having a strange problem with a particular course. The course has numerous activities that were all built in Articulate Storyline. At the end of each course activity is a button that when clicked, should advance you to the next activity. The button is programmed with the URL of the next course activity. Completion tracking is set to “on” for each activity in the Moodle course so a person can’t go to the next activity until they have completed the one prior. 

Here’s what is happening. For a number of people (but not everyone) when they get to the end of the course activity and click on the button to advance it tells them the next course activity is Hidden, (indicating Moodle doesn’t acknowledge the current activity completion). They should be able to go on to the next activity because the current one has been completed. It then bumps them back to the main course page where they have to go through that activity again. If they go through it again, they are able to click the button at the end and advance to the next course activity on the second time through. It seems that completion tracking is not working the first time through. This is especially strange because it is not happening to everyone that is going through the course. 

Any idea what might be causing that?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Whitney Lowe

Re: Completion Tracking issue in Course

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Depending on version of Moodle, I think completion is run with cron so depending on how often your cron is running it might take a few minutes for the completion to register.  I would suggest not using the link in the Articulate storyline itself but have it go back to the main course page where the next lesson should appear momentarily and allow them to continue.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Whitney Lowe -

CThanks Emma. Do you know if there is a way to increase the frequency of the Cron? The reason we link to the next activity in the Storyline file is that we used to have the course navigate as you suggested. However, our client wanted students to be able to click a link and go immediately to the next activity without going back to the main course page. Seems like increasing the Cron frequency may help that if it is possible. 

We are currently running 2.7.5. Would bumping up to a newer version possibly speed up the Cron?

In reply to Whitney Lowe

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Cron is totally separate to Moodle.  It is run on your server.  Depending on what OS you are running on, you need to find your cron file and edit it there.

e.g. On Linux Debian

crontab -u www-data -e 

If you are hosted, you have an option somewhere in your control panel to edit it.  

On newer versions of moodle, you can also set the frequency of selected tasks in admin settings/server/scheduled tasks.  But they are still dependent on the frequency of cron.

You also need to take into consideration if running cron every few seconds is going to put unnecessary load on your server.  It should be ok but it really depends on your server resources.

by Whitney Lowe -

Is it possible that because the link to open the next activity is in the Storyline file (and doesn't actually require the person to click on the activity in the main course page), that it is not recognizing the current activity as complete when they finish because they got there from the previous Storyline file and not from clicking on the link in the Moodle page?

In reply to Whitney Lowe

by Whitney Lowe -

Also I am noticing some weird coding in the Restrict Access box.  I looks like this:

Could that have anything to do with it? I can't clean that out. Every time I try to delete it and save the course page, it is back in there the next time I open up the course. 

In reply to Whitney Lowe

by Emma Richardson -

This isn't your password is it - autofilling from the browser settings maybe?

by Whitney Lowe -

No this isn't my password. Auto fill is possible, but that is not anything I have entered in there...

In reply to Whitney Lowe

by Just H -

I see that code now and then when my connection is slow (it's the code attached to the button) but it "should" render the button when the page has finished loading.