Link subject(course) to multiple courses

Link subject(course) to multiple courses

by Justin Cloete -
Number of replies: 3
Hi

Let us imagine i have 5 subjects (Courses) Course A, B, C, D and E
To each of these I have added assignments, slides, workbooks ect.

I have 2 different courses:
Course 1 consists of A, B, C and D
Course 2 consists of A, C and E

I know that I can make a backup of the contents in A and restore it to Course 1 and 2.
My quesion is this is there a way that I can link or embed A into course 1 and 2 so that if I update the content of a it automatically adds the new content to course 1 and 2

Basically what I am going for is the ability to have Master copy of a subject which I update and once updated all courses that contains that subject will be automatically updated. (Including adding new resourses, updating assignments, ect)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Justin Cloete

Re: Link subject(course) to multiple courses

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Your best bet is probably to keep the content in A, B, C, D and E and then create Course 1 and 2 as overarching courses which contain metalinks to enrol those students on the relevant 'content' courses.

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Justin Cloete -

Hi Richard

Thanks for the reply, how would I go about doing this, I have never tried creating an overarching course.

I am using Joomla and Joomdle to manage the front end of the website, do you by any chance know what effect this will have on the way a course is dispaid by Joomdle.

How does moodle display an overarching course (does it display as a single course or multiple courses

Thank you

In reply to Justin Cloete

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Its simply another course, but you enable course meta links as the enrolment method on the 'child' courses and link them together

https://docs.moodle.org/31/en/Course_meta_link

I haven't used joomdle, so not sure how it would deal with these, but they are just standard courses, really, so shouldn't be a major hurdle.