New assignment grading interface in CVS

New assignment grading interface in CVS

by Martin Dougiamas -
Number of replies: 63
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Well, I promised to fix the assignment grading interface in 1.5.3 and it's in CVS now (1.5 and HEAD). I'd really appreciate some quick heavy testing of the improved interface so we can get a STABLE 1.5.3 release out the door as soon as possible.

We've fixed things as follows:
  • grade buttons are now links (which means you can use browser tabs etc)
  • popup window has teacher comments at the top
  • popup window can now cycle through all users without leaving the window ("Next" and "Save and go to Next" buttons)
  • new quickgrading feature to grade inline in one go (uses tabindex so you can tab through them quickly)
  • can choose page size
This enough to make the interface usable for 1.5 in my opinion. Future improvements (like open text entry for grades) should go in 1.6.

Example of the quickgrading is below.
Attachment newgrading.png
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: New assignment grading interface in CVS

by Brian Sea -
YES!!!!!  I love you!  Now I can rid of this grade-book modification...

I have a few suggestions for 1.6:

1. Incorporation of team assignments
2. Incorporation of peer assessment of assignments (even simple Accumulation)
3. Ability to go over 100 points for an assignments
4. Ability to put NULL values for grades (and not zeros) - is this a gradebook issue?

#1 and #2 are pretty big additions - as I believe they should go into Assignment Core (so any assignment can be a team project or peer assessed).  It would force a minor incoporation of the Workshop module also (so we move the old code to the new framework).

If I get time, I will try to put together some patches for the Assignment module, because it would force a reorganization of the UI.

Thanks

--sea

In reply to Brian Sea

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
1 and 2 are really related to the rewriting of Workshop and Exercise as assignment modules.

Otherwise, before we go into a wish-list frenzy can I just have some serious testing of this current interface for bugs?  wink

by Brian Sea -
I'm not sure re-writing them as assignment modules would work entirely... because currently the use of the modules is mutually exclusive. So, for instance, one could not have a team on-line text that is peer-assessed.

I'll be trying this new assignment module interface also...

--sea

by Brian Sea -
Quick Question:  How does this new interface alter inline commenting?  I don't see a way to change teh font color (or does the interface change if that option is selected?)

--sea
In reply to Brian Sea

by Martin Dougiamas -
It doesn't do anything different. You use the normal html editor commands to change text color if you want to do that.

Of course eventually someone will come up with a much cooler way to do inline commenting and like you I wait in anticipation of that day. wink   Even just a module to allow the teacher to return edited documents would be good enough for most people (they can use their favourite word processor to add comments).

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I have an assignment plug-in in-progress that allows the student to upload their assignment, and the instructor to respond with their own upload. Is that what you mean?

mike

by Michael Penney -

Even just a module to allow the teacher to return edited documents

This is actually available in CVS/contrib for 1.5: ReviewAssignment_1.5.

by Grigory Rubtsov -
Thanks Martin!

That are good improvements of usability.

I got two warning after update to 1.6dev, they may be useful for you:

1. On submission list /mod/assignment/submissions.php?id=117
Notice: Undefined variable: userid in /home/onlineuniversity.ru/htdocs/mod/assignment/lib.php on line 1016

2. During teacher response: /mod/assignment/submissions.php?id=117&userid=24&mode=single&offset=3&tsort=
Notice: Undefined variable: where in /home/onlineuniversity.ru/htdocs/mod/assignment/lib.php on line 672

by Mark Stevens -
Thanks Martin!  This is really cool... the best of both worlds smile  I did quite a bit of testing in Firefox and IE on Windows (Yuck wink), and it was really good.

One "bug":
When commenting with the quickgrading inline text, the "Last modified (Student)" value is changed to the same as the "Last modified (Teacher)" value.  [The pop-up editor doesn't change the "Last modified (Student)" value when grading.]
One "feature"?
When grading from the inline quickgrading, 0/10 is given as a grade even though I wanted "No grade". [Pop-up grading leaves the value at "No grade".]

Feature requests (gotta be greedy, right? smile):
1.  The pop-up editor's "Save and show next" and "Next" buttons  are fantastic... how about a "Previous" button? smile
2.  When there is no submitted assignment, there is a small empty square.  Could this be filled with text such as, "No submission"?
In reply to Mark Stevens

by Martin Dougiamas -
Thanks for the feedback!

The student's last-modified date is only added when the teacher is grading something that didn't already have a submission date.  If something was submitted by the student and this date is set then this date isn't touched when grading.  Does that make more sense now?

The zero grade vs no grade issue is an old problem which we are looking at already now.  To avoid database changes we'll probably start storing -1 in the database to mean "No grade".

by Michael Penney -

we'll probably start storing -1 in the database to mean "No grade".

We tried that, but it shows up in the gradebook as -1, freaks some students outsurprise. So we'll have to add something that tells the gradebook to display -1 as 'no grade'?

In reply to Michael Penney

by Martin Dougiamas -
No problems, assignment_grades() now handles this and passes back just a "-". This doesn't seem to affect any calculations.

It's now in CVS. You can set any submission to "no grade" anytime you want.

by Martin Dougiamas -
Sorry Mark, yes the dates were updating wrongly in quick grade mode, fixed now.

by Mark Stevens -
No worries!  It's a really cool update that will help grading tremendously... and bury the journal module forever wink

by Josep M. Fontana -
Martin,

Since you are talking about modifications to the Assignment module, could you tell us if we have any hope at all to get the word count functionality as part of the official Assignment module? smile

Perhaps I'm being a bit of a bore because after the initial post and a long (and I think) constructive discussion we had with Petr Skoda, I also asked again in other threads (could I be being ignored thoughtful). But we've spent money and time developing a functionality which could be useful for many other people and is simple enough to become a part of the official module without requiring any substantial change or code bloat. So we are wondering whether there is anything we can do to get it accepted as part of the official distribution so that all this time and money doesn't go to waste.

If this were something that involves any major changes to the structure of the module or changed the interface or usability in any meaningful way, I wouldn't be so insistent. But it is something so simple and unobstrusive and yet potentially so useful for some people... If there is a problem with its inclusion, I'd like to know. If it is just that you people are too busy with more important things, I can perfectly understand, but I would also like to know  so that I wait a little while to remind you again smile.

Josep M.
In reply to Josep M. Fontana

by Martin Dougiamas -
Busy times, Josep, don't worry.  I've posted in the other thread asking for a patch in the correct format.

by Josep M. Fontana -
Great! You don't know how happy I am. I think I'm starting to get an idea about how my younger child must feel when, after using every means at his disposal, he manages to get me away from my work and pay attention to him so that I can see what he's done or what he's showing me smile.

OK, let's see if Joan has time to do what you ask him to do quickly.

Sorry for contributing a bit more to the delay in the presentation of your doctoral thesis (14th msg. in 'display replies flat with oldest first' view). I guess I'm one of the people that "won't let you" smile.

Josep M.

by Joan Codina Filba -
We did a patch that does some of the functionality, here is how it looks like the popup window for grading... it can be found here TEST_ UPF
To enter user teacher, password Teacher

Attachment grading.JPG

by Josep M. Fontana -
Martin,

You can download the patch for the word count functionality directly from here.
This will make it easier for you. I hope this is in the form you asked us to deliver it to you. If you have any problem or we can help you in any way, please don't hesitate to ask.

Josep M.
In reply to Josep M. Fontana

by Martin Dougiamas -
Josep, in this code I don't think there's any need to create a new parameter "maximumwords", that's what the var1, var2, var3 ... are for in the assignment table.  If Joan has time to rework this it would be great, otherwise it might take a little longer to get into CVS.

by Joan Codina Filba -
Here you have the patch, is for the Moodle 1.5 stable of 10-11-2005. I used var3, and adapted the patch in order to work with the changes you did in the assignments.

Joan Codina
In reply to Joan Codina Filba

by Julian Ridden -

I have applied this patch to last nights 1.6 build and it works a treat. It even fits in nicely with the new assignment marking interface.

Great work Joan.

by Chris G -
We installed latest assignment cvs today. Current issues with online assignments:

1. Submissions page view should default to "last modified (student)" date descending (i.e. most recent date first). Instead it defaults to Name. Selecting "last modified (student)" brings up date ascending, requiring yet another click to toggle to date descending.

2. Teacher's email notification of assignment submission is not displaying student's name properly.

3. Urgent Feature Request: Easily show all assignments submitted by a student.
(Without having to install participants or recent activity blocks which can be seen by all. Our students write long essays and we respond with long feedback, so quickgrade option doesn't work for us.)

Thanks for all the hard work. We appreciate Moodle.
In reply to Chris G

by Yu Zhang -

Hi Chris,

Could you please give some examples of wrongly displayed student names (i.e what should the name be and what is displayed?)

Thanks,

Yu

In reply to Yu Zhang

by Chris G -
Ho, Yu. Email notification reads:  " has updated their assignment submission" without giving any name.
In reply to Chris G

by Yu Zhang -

Thanks for the bug report! Will look into it asap.

Yu

In reply to Chris G

by Yu Zhang -

Hi Chris,

I tried a couple of things, and it's working fine for me. I could not duplicate this problem without knowing some of the settings. Could you please try this?

In the mod/assignment/lib.php, around line 1222 is this line.

$info->username = fullname($user);

Could you comment it out, and try this instead:

//$info->username = fullname($user);

$info->username = $user->firstname.' '.$user->lastname;

Thanks,

Yu

In reply to Yu Zhang

by Chris G -
Hi Yu, Thanks for your efforts and superfast response.

I tried your suggestion but still have the problem with some students.

It seems to happen with those students who have not visited their profile, so their "edit profile" asterisk is flashing.

If they edit their profiles (adding city/town and description) the email notifications then work properly.

We are using the amember integration described elsewhere in these forums, so maybe it's something to do with that.

In reply to Chris G

by Chris G -
Just noticed there's a thread on this bug at http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=29247

Can anyone advise how to fix the sort order problem I described above? Thanks.
In reply to Chris G

by A K -
Just hit this problem on a new Moodle system (my first) which went live over the weekend. Students' names missing from the start of the email. And yes, it does look as if it might be happening where the student hasn't yet updated their profile.

Following addressed to Moodle programmers...

I did a grep on a string from the email ('has updated their assignment submission for'), expecting to find a variable (uninitialised?) in front of it. Sure enough found the following in lang\en\assignment.php.
$a->username has updated their assignment submission
for '$a->assignment'

It is available here:

$a->url';
I don't know PHP at all - maybe one day - but found a quick reference card online and it told me (I think) that $a->username is using an instance variable, username, of an instance of some class referenced by $a. (Excuse non-familiarity with PHP!)

Other code in assignment.php uses instance variables: assignment, teacher, url, username of the same object. I guess this would trigger related bugs if $a doesn't reference an object upon entry or else references an only-partly initialised object.

In fact I can see the 'wrongly-generated'(?) URL in the same email. The code responsible is
$string['emailteachermailhtml'] = '$a->username has updated their assignment submission
for <i>'$a->assignment'</i><br /><br />
It is <a href=\"$a->url\">available on the web site</a>.';
which just happens to wink create a valid HTML <a href> tag when the $a->url is empty. Perhaps this was intentional (or saved checking the integrity of $a).

There is nothing I can see in assignment.php which creates an instance and assigns it to $a, so I guess that there is an assumption(!) upon entry to assignment.php that an in-scope (global?) variable $a exists and references an instance of the right class. Could this be a dodgy assumption? (I think so - hence the missing name in the email).

Q: Where and when is (or, rather, should be!) $a set?
Q: What calls assignment.php?
Q: Wouldn't it be better (if it's possible) to pass the instance (referenced(or not!) by $a) as a parameter to assignment.php - less bug-prone than relying on variables not explicitly initialised within assignment.php (and a bit more OO / resilient)? At the least it might be good to have a comment at the top of the code stating the assumption about the value of $a upon entry.

I wonder whether this code (using $a) might have got in by being copied / pasted from somewhere else without being checked carefully?

Hopefully this might provide a clue that someone who knows PHP, Moodle design (and the OO world) might pick up. Sorry if I've made some bad guesses as a non-PHP programmer. I think I should become familiar with the bug-tracking / CVS part of Moodle at some point to check / report this properly, but no time right now. Meanwhile I found http://moodle.org/xref/nav.html?stable/mod/assignment/lib.php.source.html
which I guess is an 'official' source code reference and the same code (i.e. use of $a, not initialised in assignment) appears to exist in both the stable and development sections. Perhaps someone who is familiar with the bug-tracking / CVS could kindly check this?

BTW, very impressed with Moodle overall so far - excellent community... destined for increasing growth and success, I suspect.
A.
In reply to A K

Re: New assignment grading interface in CVS - unitialised / object / null reference?

by A K -
Just appended to yesterday's posting to try to catch the attention of PHP / OO Moodle programmers.

Thinking about the original symptom - missing user names in automatic assignment emails occurring sometimes - I suspect that of the various paths taken to reach the code in assignment.php some of them cause $a to reference an instance of some class with some of the aforementioned variables (including username) holding values and some don't. The connection made earlier with the problem not occurring if a user has updated their profile could, I guess, either be:
(i) because updating the profile causes some persistent data to be stored which subsequently results in the object referenced by $a to having (more) fully-initialised state when the object referenced by $a is created from persistent (database) data , or
(ii) because it leaves $a referencing a (more) fully initialised object (which may or may not be saved as persistent data).

If (i), it would suggest that the source of the user name used to initialise the object referenced by $a is either a different one(!) from that stored in the database, or that somehow the name has been set but not written to the database by the time the row is used to initialise a new object referenced by $a.

Possible follow-up routes include:
- identify the class which defines the four instance variables mentioned previously and see where it is used, in particular where it is constructed and whether checks are performed for full initialisation (there's got to be a user with a username if they just submitted an assignment that generated the nameless email - why isn't it in the object referenced by $a?)
- find the places where $a is made to reference an object prior to entry to assignment.php

My lack of knowledge of PHP leaves me not knowing about variable scope or inline code inclusion, either of which could be relevant when looking for how $a came to reference a not fully initialised object, or no object at all, upon entry to the code in assignment.php.

Hope someone who knows PHP / Moodle design might pick this up.

A.
In reply to A K

Re: New assignment grading interface in CVS - unitialised / object / null reference?

by Stephen Digby -

asignment quick grading freeezes each time it is used.

Individual grading with and using the "save & Next" works fine.

Couold it abe another issue with MySQL5 (which caused me problems with "Display a Dircetory".

Still using the last 1.5.3 something (as I can't figure out the instructions for upgrade to 1.6 !!!

by David Fountain -
Great improvement, thank you. No problems so far.

by David Fountain -

Excuse me if I'm posting in wrong place or talking out of turn - very new to this.

Don't think it is a bug.

Should the 'comment' text box in quick grading expand width ways to fill the column? When I reduce the other columns using the - key it stays the same size although the comment column itself gets wider.

In reply to David Fountain

by Martin Dougiamas -
No, it's not meant to (but it would be nice, I agree) ... making forms react to a surrounding table would be very difficult technically.

by Anthony Borrow -
I've been testing the new assignment grading interface which looks great. I was using
lib.php,v 1.134 2005/11/04 06:50:30 moodler Exp $ and was having no problem using the Save and Next button; however, when I upgraded to to lib.php,v 1.139 2005/11/10 00:22:57 skodak Exp $ the save and next button disappeared. It appears to be related to $nextid not being available because of a failed query. In my case:

When I clicked on the Update link it goes to:
http://jesuit185/moodle152/mod/assignment/submissions.php?id=103&mode=single&offset=3&tsort=%20ORDER%20BY%20timemodified%20ASC

I get a SQL syntax error because of the lack of space between ASC and LIMIT:
SELECT u.id, u.id, u.firstname, u.lastname, u.picture,s.id AS submissionid, s.grade, s.comment, s.timemodified, s.timemarked, ((s.timemarked > 0) AND (s.timemarked >= s.timemodified)) AS status FROM mdl152_user u LEFT JOIN mdl152_assignment_submissions s ON u.id = s.userid AND s.assignment = 21 WHERE u.id IN (135,639,787,791,800,829,847,864,873,885,887,772,756,653,661,670,677,678,692,711,718,740,896) ORDER BY timemodified ASCLIMIT 3,1

Somehow, a space has been forgotten at the end of $sort so when it is concat'd with $sort.$limit in the query it is producing an SQL error. I'm searching for where $sort is defined to see the difference between the versions but I wanted to make to post this so that it could be fixed in the CVS.

The difference between the two lib.php files seems to be that the latest one uses the sql_paging_limit function.

Old: $limit = " LIMIT ".($offset+1).", 1";
Current: $limit = sql_paging_limit($offset+1, 1);
Temporarily I have replaced it with $limit = ' '.sql_paging_limit($offset+1, 1);

Now I'm off to find that sql_paging_limit function.

Peace - Anthony

In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi and thanks for the detailed problem report!

I can see the problem in code now, but I am not able to connect to the CVS server sad sad sad
I will fix it as soon as it starts working again...
In reply to Petr Skoda

by John Papaioannou -
This has now been fixed in CVS. Thanks for the detailed report from me as well, if all reports were like that Moodle would have no bugs left by now! approve
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by James Dugal -
I found that after applying the quickgrades changes to assignments, from the
10 Nov 2005 tarball, I was unable to set a grade using the old popup method.
It ignored whatever I entered, and refreshed the page with no changes made at all.
I did succeed in changing a grade by using quickgrades, however.
And, when I set the admin variable secureforms to NO, I was then able to
set/change grades via the (old) popup method.  Yet previously, I didn't observe an problems running with secureforms =YES.  I mention this in case it helps anyone, and also if it encourages any further modification.
--James

In reply to James Dugal

by James Dugal -
I think I've found the source for this problem.  process_feedback() in mod/assignment/lib.php was changed to invoke data_submitted() with a new argument, 'nomatch'.  This would only apply to offline assignment grading via popups, since other types (online, uploadsingle, etc.) define their own data_submitted() function in assignment.class.php.  Should not they also provide a 'nomatch' argument?

I've made this change on my test system and that solved the problem.
--James

by James Dugal -
I'm running with the 1.5.2+ tarball of 10 Nov 2005, more or less. I found this problem:

If an assignment had submissions, but had not been graded prior to
applying the quickgrade modifications to lib.php, those assignments
will appear as "No grade" if viewed in the quickgrade mode, but will
appear as 0/100 (or whatever) when viewed outside quickgrade mode.

Here's a fix to show them as '-' (thanks to the new display_grade() behaviour):

*** lib.php~    Fri Nov 11 13:55:03 2005
--- lib.php     Fri Nov 11 14:44:00 2005
*** 937,943 ****
              foreach ($ausers as $auser) {
                  $picture = print_user_picture($auser->id, $course->id, $auser-
>picture, false, true);

!                 if (!$auser->grade and !$auser->timemarked and $quickgrade) {
                      $auser->grade = -1;//Martin's hack to prevent 0 showing up
 and select no grade instead.
                  }

--- 937,943 ----
              foreach ($ausers as $auser) {
                  $picture = print_user_picture($auser->id, $course->id, $auser-
>picture, false, true);

!                 if (!$auser->grade and !$auser->timemarked) { // jpd fix for 0
/100 to show as '-'
                      $auser->grade = -1;//Martin's hack to prevent 0 showing up
 and select no grade instead.
                  }

Essentially, it seems to me that there is no need to qualify the replacement of zero by -1, by whether we're in quickgrade.  Testing for zero and timemarked==0 ought to suffice.
--James

by James Dugal -
I have noticed that the new quickgrade changes to the assignment module,
result in the setting of the timemodified (Student) column, when no
student activity has occurred.  I thought this was just for submittal
dates, not for instructor modification timestamps (ie, when setting a grade,
or when the initial 0 => nograde, is changed to -1 => nograde).

What's the desired behaviour here?
--James
In reply to James Dugal

by Martin Dougiamas -
Do you have the latest CVS code?  This bug was fixed earlier this week.  For an offline assignment, this still happens the first time, so that the student "activity" has some sort of stamp.
In reply to James Dugal

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I have just commited some last minute fixes for fastgrading:
  • page is not flipped when you save grades
  • you can submit changes with hidden grade or comment column
  • default submission grade was changed to "-1" (nograde), so now the dates are not updated when there is no change

Please test it tomorrow and report any bugs or regressions so that I can fix them before 1.5.3 release.

Thanks!

In reply to Petr Skoda

by Petr Skoda -
The grading mechanism is still broken, I will need a day or two to fix it properly sad
I hope it will be ready before the 1.5.3 release...
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Petr Skoda -
I've got a bad and good news:
  • big grin: I think I have fixed all assignment grading problems on my test server, I will commit it to CVS tomorrow
  • sad: I did no manage to get it into 1.5.3, so the upgrade to 1.5.3+ nightly will be needed

In reply to Petr Skoda

by Martin Dougiamas -
It's not technically announced yet so get it in quick.  Thanks!

by Petr Skoda -
Working on it...
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Petr Skoda -
It is in CVS, I wish I had more time for testing. Anyway grading is now much more consistent in all types of assignments. Both numeric and custom scales should work without problems.

For the first time fastgrading is fully functional and popup grading works again too smile

All ungraded submissions have grade==-1  in database which means "No Grade", and are always displayed as dash "-".

There might be small problems with ungraded assignments submitted before this patch, they display grade "0" - IMHO it should not cause much trouble...
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Martin Dougiamas -
I'm still not sure what the functional problems were, it was all working last I looked at it ... was this a result of the security-related changes to the table class made since then? I'm glad you've attended to them anyway!

This all shows why the policy of not making new features in the stable branch is a good one, even if we do have exceptions to the rule occasionally.

by Petr Skoda -
One group of problems was related to inconsitent use of "0" and "-1" for "No grade". The second was that fastgrade and "Next" in popup were adding new submissions, resulting in 0/100 grade before submission and other display problems. Previous patches fixed custom scales in gradebook, some encoding problem and other minor issues.

In any case I am going to monitor the bugtracker and forums for assignment related problems and fix bugs that might surface wink
I do not intend to add ANY new features, if anybody wants to improve assignment, please do so only in HEAD...
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Martin Dougiamas -
Thanks, Petr! Good catches. approve

But, what happened to the "next" buttons in the popup? I just noticed they're gone! surprise

(Edit: seems to be a bug related to very large classes only ... I've filed bug 4351 to remember it)

by Mark Stevens -
There were two, right?  "Save and next" and "Next"... Extremely useful... would hate to see them go... Wasn't there a "Previous" button too? wink  (Teachers don't only grade one way through a class smile)  At any rate, thanks again for everything and thanks for the tab & shift-tab in quickgrade smile
In reply to Mark Stevens

by Anthony Borrow -
I agree that having a Previous button would also be helpful and should be fairly easy to implement. I do not see much use for Save and Previous as that could be handled by the sort before starting the grading. But I have found occasion when I realize that I forgot to make a comment and wanted to go back.

by Anthony Borrow -

Martin,

Did you see  Bug #4344? When I have debug on I get the SaveAndNext and Next buttons. When I turn debug off for the site they do not appear in the popup. Peace.

by Thomas Eibel -
I'd like to give the following inputs for improvement in the grading modul:
  • I work with courses, where students are gathered in groups: I'd like to inlcude a certain group into grading for a certain activity and exclude all the rest. Since in the left column of the "exceptions"-fields I always see all students, this is a mouse-milking work. If I had a button to select e.g. the students of group A, group B, ... or all, it would be easier to give grading to only one (or some) group and exclude all the others
  • I like the "letter scale", since I can adopt points to our grading system. On the other side, I have to fill the form for every course. Is it possible to have it accessibel overall? Or at least to export/import the letter scale.
  • When I export the gradings, I get all the points in my list, even if I marked it as "exclude from grading". Bonus-Activities are not recognizable as such. I'd need to get a printout, that shows me the same information as the online grading module.
Thanks and best regards
thomas eibel