Webcam capturing during quiz

Webcam capturing during quiz

by Cr Co -
Number of replies: 4

Hi guys, i need to develop a plug in which when a student starts a quiz should start to capture webcam images till the student submits his answers. I think I need to add some javascript files to the attempt.php file. But can someone tell me how should I go? I already developed a plug in which hooks the quiz_attempt event, so now I need to embed the javascript logic inside the quiz page. 

Thanks

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Cr Co

Re: Webcam capturing during quiz

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Would it not be easier just to have the web cam turned on from the start to the end of the day?

In reply to Marcus Green

by Cr Co -

1) During the day there can be many students who use a PC.

2) I think it's more appropriate use the webcam only during the quiz attempt.

By the way I managed to achieve what I wanted. But I have modified the attempt.php file to include a js file. I think i'll need to include that js file using a plug in so I do not change internal Moodle files.

update: the webcam accept dialog pops up every time I change question. It should ask one time (at the start of the quiz) and stay there till the final submission. :\

In reply to Cr Co

by James McLean -

Consider also that it is trivial to install 'fake' webcam software on a PC and play a video that 'looks' like it is coming from a webcam - but the student is not being actually filmed - meaning they can do as they please while they undertake the quiz.

I strongly suggest you do not trust this method.

I have bypassed these protections successfully which is implemented in some commercially available online proctoring software which is theoretically more restrictive than recording via the flash plugin. It is important to state this was done under approved test conditions to see if it was possible to bypass the protections 'in the wild' with this specific software, not via cheating in a real world situation.

Please also consider the privacy implications!

In reply to James McLean

by Cr Co -

Hi, thanks for your answer. I forgot to say that all the captures will be compared to an enrollment data set to check the identity of the student. I'm also developing an administration panel which enables the administrator to check and eventually approve the results of the face recognition system. 

So if a student uses a program which simulates the web cam recording it will eventually have a label of the program , so the admin can refuse that test.

Also if the student uses a different haircut/t-shirt/surrounding environment in the pre recorded video the administrator will be able to unmask it.