Custom icons for activities on Navigation bar

Custom icons for activities on Navigation bar

by Gabriel Rodriguez -
Number of replies: 11
Hi, I have  a question. It is possible to assing a different navigation Icon for each activity in a topic?

for example if the activity is watch a video, I want to change the navigation icon for a youtube icon, if the activity is read some text, change icon for a book, etc.

I hope you can help me.

Thanks.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gabriel Rodriguez

Re: Custom icons for activities on Navigation bar

by Simon Rediss-Whitfield -

You change the icons in the pix folder (moodle/Pix) in your moodle core

In reply to Simon Rediss-Whitfield

by Gabriel Rodriguez -

Thanks for your help and answer.

If I change the icons in the pix folder, it change for all activities for example, but I wish to set a diferent icon for each activity in the navigation bar.

For example a video icon for an activity related with watch a video, a book icon for activity related with reading, etc.

Thank

by Just H -

Perhaps a screenshot explaining what you want would be helpful. At the moment I'm not sure what you mean as activities already have specific icons. I "think" you want to put icons into the breadcrumbs?

In reply to Just H

by Gabriel Rodriguez -
Hi,

For example  set a different icon for each Assignment inside a Topic.

I add a screenshot  with a box draw.

Thanks again.

Attachment Navigation.png

by Simon Rediss-Whitfield -

If you change the video icon to a youtube icon then all videos will display the youtube icon.

If you mean can videos have different icons, not without some heavy modifications to core code.

In reply to Simon Rediss-Whitfield

by Gabriel Rodriguez -

Yes, I mean videos have different Icons.

Thanks for take a time for answer.

by Troy May -
"If you mean can videos have different icons, not without some heavy modifications to core code"

That is too bad no one in the dev community has implemented something like this before.

I too would be greatly interested in having an option on our activity configuration pages which allows the ability to apply a custom icon to the activity, as well as change the link's text colour, font-weight, etc.

Then, you could differentiate specific activities by say Required/Recommended/Optional, or any other attribute that would otherwise require that specific activity to stand out.

This would be a NICE addition to basic Moodle functionality.
In reply to Troy May

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Troy,

Except for the icons, you can do what you want, right now, today, by using the Generico filter and one of the preset span or tag bundles, or even one you've altered to your specific needs.

There are a couple of things that have to be set to allow this to work. The Generico Atto toolbutton as well as the Generico filter have to be installed and set so it applies to both content and headings. It also helps to have the Atto Preview toolbutton installed.

Once you either create the filter templates you need, or adapt pre-existing ones, you're all set to start using them to mark your assignments like you want them.

The final trick is to place the Generico filter in the description text area, until you get it to look exactly like you want it. You then cut if from the description text area and paste it into the Assignment name text area and save the assignment.

Depending on how you define your filter, you can change the font, font size, font color, background color, etc., and make your activities stand out however you want them to. You can even add a live countdown timer to help cut down on the number of "I didn't know it was due today!" excuses.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Troy May -

Thanks for the info, Al! I will try it & get back with how it went.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Troy May -
Hi again Al,

I have had some luck with the Generico filter system. It works well enough for custom display of things. However, I still think having configuration attributes on each Activity config page would be best.

Imagine this "Edit activity" page:

Wouldn't that be nice when you need to have multiple activities on a single section or course page?

In reply to Troy May

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Troy,

I agree that it might be nice to have customization capabilities right there in any activity, but on the other hand, you would be limited to only those Moodle HQ choose to implement, if they went for your idea. Think of all the activities that would need to be modified to add the new appearance settings. Using a Generico filter, I can customize any of the activities, right now, any way I want to. Plus, if someone dreams up something new today, it can be added as a filter right away, whereas trying to get it coded and added to X number of activities, probably would not happen very soon, if at all.