General help

Scope of Generico?

C'est Moi....
Scope of Generico?

Now that I have it working and it does what I expected, I wonder if it is limited to use within a text/description box of a resource.  Can this be applied else where such as a local theme or other control of visual attributes.

My guess is that it cannot but I am just wondering. If not, is there something other than CSS/HTML that will give me local control of visuals that will not affect other courses in the University?

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Andy Chaplin
Re: Scope of Generico?

Hi Steve,

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to use it but, for example, I used it to create the front page of a Moodle site (here) using two Generico filters to add the different elements.  Generico can be used to change the formatting of elements on a one-off basis.  Have a look at the Generico Postit example here - that might give you some ideas.

I suspect the answer to your question is yes, but it would help if you could give a couple of concrete examples.

All the best

Andy

C'est Moi....

I can see Generico instruction on installation and comments on results but nothing about how to make it work.  Up until now, all I see is that a button can be placed in the editor which will modify the background of a text box in a  resource. I thought I had that working but it is not.

You suggest that I can create a template to act as a theme for my course but I see nothing that describes how to invoke it.  Again, I see installation instruction and examples of what it does but I guess I totally missed the chapter on how to use it.

I have seen this pattern several times now. The User Tours is the same way.  When I learned about groups and groupings, I had to learn it backwards with a lot of discovery and error, mostly error.  I wrote a path finder to give to other instructors an idea in how to set them up but see no place in Moodle to submit it.  There needs to be a whole section on pathfinders.  Is there one and I am simply missing it?

Picture of Justin Hunt
Particularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Hi Steve

The most complete Generico documentation is here:

https://docs.moodle.org/31/en/filter_generico

But its not a tutorial. The best we have in the way of a tutorial are a few YouTube videos.
Search on youtube.com for "generico filter moodle" and you will see them.

It started it very simple, and it can still be simple. But there is now so much you can do with Generico that it does require some explaining.

C'est Moi....

I guess that my observation is that what is posted as explanation is nothing more then just a list of ingredients for a recipe without the directions.  If I am missing something here, let me know.

Is there no reason, for example that  at least one template in Generico, included in the download,  to be programmed already?

Is the design side of said templates limited only to the site admin or should I be seeing options for the instructor to create dedicated templates?  I see examples where entries have to be made to Additional HTML and as an instructor one cannot do that.

It looks as if a good grasp of HTML is required.

Don't get me wrong, these are not complaints but these thoughts should be in the introduction for the plugin. If I missed them, please let me know.

Similarly, I see the same observations with User_Tours.

Picture of Justin Hunt

There are a whole bunch of example templates included with Generico. They are called presets and you can choose them from the template settings page.

Only an admin can create templates. In the future that might change. But its quite a big change and would need to be done carefully.

You need to know HTML/JS/CSS to write templates, but only as much as the template you are creating is complex. 

As for the documentation. Its never good enough in open source. There are good reasons for that. But in this case, its not too bad, so just get stuck in and figure it out.

C'est Moi....

Only an admin can create templates [but preset templates are available].  You need to know HTML/JS/CSS to write them, but only as much as the template you are creating is complex.

These two statements need to be included within the introduction.  If they are already there then they have to be more visible because I must have missed them.

Having my own home Moodle, I might start creating templates and submitting them for the university admin to install but I am sure I am not going to be able to convince them to create them.

C'est Moi....

P.s.  How did you create that torn paper effect?

Picture of Rick Jerz
Particularly helpful Moodlers

I am not sure what Justin used, but I can get close with SnagIt.

Picture of Justin Hunt

Yes it was Snagit. Very useful tool.

Picture of Rick Jerz

I have been using SnagIt at least all the way back to 1996, and probably even earlier.  I think that I recall one of the first versions being shareware.  I actually have the Camtasia Suite, which is what I use to make screen videos.  I have a yearly subscription to the Suite, which seems to cost me somewhere around $100US/year.

C'est Moi....

What if we start building a pathfinder to help beginners (as I am). 

.--------------------------

This pathfinder will introduce you to a first use of Generico.  It will start after Generico plugin is installed and walk through the process to show how to add a very simple template in your course resource.  Once you see the process, you can then go back in and make changes to your liking.

1) Go to Site Admin/Plugins/filters/Generico/ template1
2) Select helloworld from AutoFill Template with a preset.
3) Click on Save Changes".
4)

Now, how do I implement this template? If these steps are already written somewhere and are not included with a lot of interstitial definitions, please tell me where it is.  I looked in the documentation for this and the links are broken.

I watched the video at https://moodle.org/plugins/filter_generico but I could not expand it to full screen and the type is too small to read so I could not follow the suggestions. In this case, text speaks far more than a short video covering too much information.  I can read, and re-read, text but stopping video and trying to backtrack for replay is a nightmare.

The "Generico Demo Course" gets into too many settings and unless one understands all of them before hand, they make no sense.  I found "How to write a template" at https://demo.poodll.com/mod/page/view.php?id=135 but it uses a template that is not included in the template preset list.

What is the statement, and where is it placed, to demonstrate this "HelloWorld" template?

Picture of AL Rachels
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

I feel exactly the same way when it comes to most of the instructional videos available for stuff like this. Like you, I like the written word, with pictures as needed, so that I don't get stuck with the hassle of "stopping video and trying to backtrack for replay."

You've mentioned it a couple of times, but I have to ask, since I don't know...what is a "pathfinder?"

C'est Moi....

A pathfinder is an overly simplified description on how to do something for the first time.  It is intended to take all of the guesswork out of a task and once accomplished, the student has a working model that can expanded on the steps to explore the task for additio0nal results. One does not hand out a working model because it robs the student of making the discoveries which lead to acquisition of the basic skills for the course.

For example, I spent a lot of time learning how to use groups and groupings. Through trial and error, mostly error, I finally had it working.  During the process, I took notes and wrote a 6 step pathfinder, w2ith cautions and explanations, so at other instructors can see how to use groups and groupings.

I created these throughout my career as a librarian and now that I am teaching HTML and Visual BASIC programming languages, I have dozens of them.  They walk the student through the development of a simple project.  Students see what all the nooks and crannies do and the follow up assignment is to design their own projects using the same structure.   Sooner or later they use the pathfinder only as a reminder on how to do something.

I want to develop a pathfinder for Generico.  At the moment, I have no idea on how many steps it will entail but I do plan to fill in the gaps between what a beginner needs to know and what an expert believes has been explained.  They are rarely the same.

Picture of AL Rachels

Sorry to take so long to reply, but been visiting Dr.'s office all morning.

I thought that might be what a pathfinder was but wanted to make sure. Over the years I wrote a bunch of them for my students and always just called them written tutorials. I tended to separate them into three categories. intro, intermediate, and advanced. They were all written for 12 to 14 year old, seventh and eighth graders, in a Computer Applications Class. The amount of detail in each tutorial directly correlated to the category I placed it in.

C'est Moi....

Path finder update:
-------------------------------------------------------------

This pathfinder will introduce you to a first use of Generico.  It will start after Generico plugin is installed and walk through the process to show how to add a very simple template in your course resource.  Once you see the process, you can then go back in and make changes to your liking.

1) Go to Site Admin/Plugins/filters/Generico/ template1
2) Select helloworld from AutoFill Template with a preset. For now, ignore all the text boxes that follow.
3) Click on Save Changes".
4) Open a resource that has a description field. (Assignment for example)
5) Enter case sensitive statement {GENERICO:type="helloworld"} into the description field or if your atto editor has generico installed, click on G and the available templates will be shown. Save and exit. 
 6) Click on the assignment and you will see a statement like: Welcome <yourname>. You are awesome. You look like this <your pic is installed>.

Congratulations, you have now been Genericoded.

A good step from here is to select a preset for the rest of the templates.

-------------------------------------------------------------

More to follow as it develops.

Picture of Justin Hunt

Thanks Steve, that looks really good.

C'est Moi....

"Over the years I wrote a bunch of them for my students and always just called them written tutorials."

I find that "Pathfinder" is inviting than tutorial....
There are other K-12 terms that I avoid too.

Picture of AL Rachels

Yes, I agree, "Pathfinder" does sound more inviting and I used to adopt new language like that on a regular basis. I guess it was just a combination of circumstances that made it so that I had never heard of it.

What you have so far is looking pretty good. Do you ever include pictures?

Many of my former students struggled if I only used words. Usually needed to include lots of pictures for them.

C'est Moi....

Other terms I don't use are: "Life long Learners", and "Study your homework", and one term guaranteed to indicate a lame professional develop lecture is "Modality".  I will even throw "pedagogy" in there.

I tell my students that I don't want them to learn anything from this course.In K-12 you were told to learn your math tables.  I tell them never to study their homework. In K-12 you were sent home to study your a history chapter.  All of this is dead end education, task based always has a terminal. or a final point which all too often is a letter grade and that is it.  For me, education is a continuum not a goal.

I tell them to "make a study" of something and more so: "Every course you take, you should make a study of it.  Your job is to go beyond the assignment.  Go beyond the instructor. Bring something new into the subject. "

Ok, off the soap box for now,......

Just wondering . . .

Nice soapbox.

Distracted me from my writing.

[Warning: OT] I was reading this today: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caleb_Gattegno

One of my students is a fan of this guy.

A little quote follows.

"Gattegno noticed that there is an “energy budget” for learning. Human beings have a highly developed sense of the economics of their own energy and are very sensitive to the cost involved in using it. It is therefore essential to teach in ways that are efficient in terms of the amount of energy spent by learners. To be able to mathematically determine whether one method was more efficient than another, he created a unit of measurement for the effort used to learn. He called that unit an ogden, and one can only say an ogden has been spent if the learning was done outside of ordinary functionings, and was retained. For example, learning one word in a foreign language costs one ogden, but if the word cannot be recalled, the ogden has not truly been spent. Gattegno's teaching materials and techniques were designed to be economical with ogdens, so that the most information can be recalled with the least sense of effort"

C'est Moi....

"What you have so far is looking pretty good. Do you ever include pictures?"

Yes, pics will follow in the later drafts.

C'est Moi....

My Generico Pathfinder draft is now over 3 pages long and since I find it easier to format this in HTML it is now on my web site.  Feel free to explore it there.  I have covered a few more preset templates and suggested a use for the toggle preset.

Your suggestions for improvement are welcome especially for spelling, continuity and grammatical issues.

I would now like to cover importing a preset from someone else and need to know how to do this.  I saw some interesting timers but forgot where.  One showed a count down clock that would time out when the assignment is due.

Also, I setup the toggle to say Read More rather than Click Me.  Once in the toggle, is it possible for that toggle to say Read Less that would close the toggle?

These are probably questions best asked else where so I would like someone to tell me where to go.

C'est Moi....

P.S.  I just brought in assign_countdown.

It is so easy it is scary,.....

Picture of AL Rachels

Your web site Generico Pathfinder is looking really nice. Being able to "customize" a copy of a filter made by someone else, e.g. Read More vs. Click Me, is one of the major advantages of this tool. For my own versions of pathfinders, I prefer using Moodle books as the built in table of contents makes it easy to organize info logically for something like Generico filters.

"It is so easy it is scary,....." which is why Generico gets mentioned as a possible solution to so many "how to" questions. I would imagine it should be possible to change back and forth between Read More and Read Less, but at the moment I'm at a loss as to how to go about it.

C'est Moi....

Many hours spent doing it and not only do I enjoy it but it is more of a formal note-taking so I can go back and see how I did something.  My Group/Grouping Pathfinder came in very useful 6 months later.

I have three more topics to cover my Generico pathfinder and then I will figure out how to submit it that others might find it useful.

Picture of AL Rachels

Depending on how you produce it, such as a Moodle page resource, wiki, book, etc. you could export it as a single item and pass it around just like we are doing with Generico '"bundles" with the only problem then being keeping it small enough to be uploaded.

Another possibility would be to see about getting Generico added to the documentation wiki like some other plugins, and have pathfinders as sub pages.

C'est Moi....

Is there a location of these generico bundles?
A search did not seem to find any.

Picture of Just H

You've been posting in the thread where people have been sharing them: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=324771

C'est Moi....

You've been posting in the thread where people have been sharing them: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=324771

Yes, I have been toggling around in various places.  I guess I was  looking for a list of them so I can choose.  I believe I downloaded two countdown bundles from there. Generico Showcase does seem to be a better venue for this but I did not see all that many threads there.  I guess it is just a matter of time.  As a matter of fact, I am posting there right now on my other computer..  I believe I have exhausted my original purpose here....

Bundles = presets?

Picture of Just H

Yep. my bad, when I said presets read bundles. Presets just makes more sense to me than bundle in this contextusing terminology is a wonderful thing ... if only we can all speak the same lingo cool 

Picture of Justin Hunt

I apologize for the terminology, its partly because when you start talking about templates it all gets a bit abstract. I mean what do you call a template for a template?
(I called it a preset.) 

template: the collection of settings that generico uses to build a widget or a snippet, when it filters.

preset: a ready made template that ships with Generico by default, that can be used as is, or modified to make a new template.

bundle: a template exported to a text file, that can be imported as a new template on the same or a different site.

I suspect that to Generico newbies (the world population -100) those definitions are still a bit abstract.

Re the Generico showcase. I compiled a set of 40 or so templates on one of my sites, for a properly curated and documented showcase. But I had a disaster last month when during a server migration, the backup file for that site turned out to be corrupt. I would love to see a proper showcase, and would love to see themes ship with Generico templates etc, like wordpress shortcodes. So I am all for it.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
C'est Moi....

I mean what do you call a template for a template? (I called it a preset.)

As do I, it makes total sense to me.  I cannot see how a preset can be a template. Is not a template a container and the preset the contents to be placed into said container?

bundle: a template exported to a text file, that can be imported as a new template on the same or a different site.

Is it not imported into a template?

I had a disaster last month when during a server migration, the backup file for that site turned out to be corrupt.

I too had such a catastrophe.  I now keep numerous backups, revisions, and the like.. I impress on my students that every time one sits down to work on a program that a backup is to be made so that if you mess up on today's work, you can easily go back one revision.

At least Template and Preset/Bundle are easier on the brain than Groups and Groupings!

Picture of Just H

"Another possibility would be to see about getting Generico added to the documentation wiki like some other plugins, and have pathfinders as sub pages."

You mean like this page in the docs: https://docs.moodle.org/31/en/filter_generico big grin

What would be good is adding all the presets people are making to it along with "pathfinders". Can't say I've used any but I have been reading the other thread with interest; after a while it gets unwieldy from a UX point of view.

Picture of AL Rachels

Aha! You found one of the needles! big grin

Picture of Just H

We just need to herd some livestock through the docs to get rid of some of the hay cool

C'est Moi....

Moo.....