Restore 1.9 course to 3.0.5

Restore 1.9 course to 3.0.5

by Paul Sharpe -
Number of replies: 9

Can anyone suggest the shortest route to restore what I believe to be a 1.9 course (it's a .zip) to 3.0.5.  

, but this doesn't work for me with 3.0.5.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Sharpe

Re: Restore 1.9 course to 3.0.5

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

"doesn't work" really doesn't help. 

What does "doesn't work" look like?

In reply to Howard Miller

by Paul Sharpe -

"Doesn't work" === returns you to the previous screen where you upload your backup course i.e. you can't ignore the message that the backup format isn't supported as per 2.5.

In reply to Paul Sharpe

by Paul Sharpe -

Here's a screen grab of the error.  Continue returns you to .../restorefile.php?contextid=...

Attachment restore.png
In reply to Paul Sharpe

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

They *should* work....

Is there any chance that you have unzipped and then re-zipped the file?

Failing that, try with Debugging turned on (all the way up to Developer and display errors selected). You may need to check your web server's error log

In reply to Howard Miller

by Paul Sharpe -

No.  The file was downloaded from SAGE.  It's meant to contain Moodle teaching resources for Field, A. (2013). Discovering Statistics using IBM SPSS Statistics. SAGE.  There's no additional information with the attached debug settings, and no indications of why it fails in the web server error log.

Attachment debug.png
In reply to Paul Sharpe

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

+1 to what Howard asked ... but just to verify the .zip file is a moodle 1.9.x backup ...

Unzip the backup.   In the directory where it unzips see if there is a 'moodle.xml' file in the archive.  If it exist then one can assume it's a valid moodle backup and as Howard said, it should work.

The video you've linked to, however, shows restoring a backup to an existing course.   Is that how you are trying to restore?  That should work as well, but option is different from restoring a backup to a new course.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Paul Sharpe -

It looks like the file is mis-labelled on SAGE's website. The zip contains a single file CC_Field_DiscoveringIBMStatistics_4e_01152016.imscc, which I'm guessing is a Canvas course.  All of their downloads appear to be either Canvas or Blackboard courses, regardless of what the links indicate.  I've emailed SAGE to see if they have a Moodle version.

Thanks Ken and Howard.

In reply to Paul Sharpe

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

imscc is the clue.  It's not a moodle backup but a SCORM/IMS Common Core Package.

There was another related discussion:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=260498

'spirit of sharing', Ken