Implementing Lesson Module in the Mobile App

Implementing Lesson Module in the Mobile App

Napisane przez: Elton LaClare ()
Liczba odpowiedzi: 12

Since the Quiz Module was implemented in the latest version of the mobile app, a lot more users have been paying attention to the app and it's potential going forward. In particular, the ability to download content to be accessed offline has intrigued me and my fellow teachers working here in Japan. 

During a series of large earthquakes that occurred in April of this year, it became impossible to conduct normal face-to-face classes with the students. Although they were able to continue studying using their smartphones, students soon began to remark that using Moodle through a mobile browser was consuming valuable data at a time when they needed internet access to keep informed of the various emergency measures in place. 

While we were aware of the possibility of creating SCORM packages for the students to download and access offline, very few teachers had any experience of creating SCORM content, nor was it likely that the school would be able to purchase expensive authoring programs at that time. 

We were in desperate need of a "within-Moodle" solution, and one of the first things that came to mind was the Lesson module. If the Lesson module were available via the Moodle Mobile app, we would be able to curate content and conduct assessment, all the while enabling considerable choice as to which content is consumed (something not easily accomplished in either the Quiz or the Book module). 

Although the context of post-earthquake Japan might seem highly specific, it's likely that teachers and learners in a variety of different situations would benefit from having offline access to Moodle Lessons. For example, what about remote communities where internet access via a mobile device is limited, unreliable and/or expensive?

Średnia ocen:Useful (1)
W odpowiedzi na Elton LaClare

Re: Implementing Lesson Module in the Mobile App

Napisane przez: Marinda Faasen ()

I would like to add my voice to this. I have experimented with a lot of software to create SCORM modules, including iSpring, but they are all data intensive. The only one that comes close to the lesson module is exeLearning, but it is very basic and cannot do what the lesson module can do. 

Data is also limited, unreliable and expensive in South Africa and we are trying to reach students in rural areas. Many of them work on mobile devices. 

I am also trying to promote Moodle in schools, so if the learners can download the content to their devices while in school, so that they can study at home where they do not always have Internet access, it would be great. 

Napisane przez: Achintya Bakre ()

I was looking for this feature too. Having lesson available in moodle mobile app for offline access will increase the usability of the mobile to great extent.

We are targeting rural population in India where there is challenge of inconsistent data connectivity. Currently we are unable to use moodle mobile as we have many courses which rely on Lesson activity.

Is it coming in next releases of moodle mobile app for android? is there any work around currently available?

I have created a new feature request in the Moodle Tracker asking the development team to consider implementing the Lesson module in the Moodle Mobile app. As mentioned by other commentators, this could be a significant advantage to users in areas with limited internet access and/or high tariffs for data usage. If these issues affect you or your learners, please consider voting for MOBILE-1733 in the tracker. 

Napisane przez: Juan Leyva ()
Obraz Core developers Obraz Moodle HQ Obraz Particularly helpful Moodlers Obraz Plugin developers Obraz Testers

Hi,

I'm the Mobile team leader, thanks for your suggestions and feedback (and for opening the issue in the tracker).

Certainly, the lesson module is the most requested one (of those missing in the app), in the last Moodlemoots we did Mobile Workshops and the participants voted for the lesson module too.

I did an initial evaluation to evaluate how difficult would be to implement it and I noticed that the current code will require a complete refactor, moving code to new functions/APIs that can be exported via Web Services so the mobile app can "communicate" with Moodle.

It would be a lot of work but I think we would be able to do it, I see it difficult to land in Moodle 3.2, but Moodle 3.3 sounds reasonable.

Regards, Juan

W odpowiedzi na Juan Leyva

Napisane przez: Iván Yivoff ()
Did anything happen with this?

Moodle 3.3 is already out, but we still have trouble accessing Lesson activities through the app... smutny
W odpowiedzi na Iván Yivoff

Napisane przez: Mary Cooch ()
Obraz Documentation writers Obraz Moodle HQ Obraz Particularly helpful Moodlers Obraz Testers Obraz Translators

Yes, I can confirm that with the latest version of the Mobile app, lessons are available through the app. Do you definitely have the latest version of the Moodle Mobile app? (download link)

W odpowiedzi na Mary Cooch

Napisane przez: Asle Klock ()

My lessons are available through the app, but I can't see any download-button in the right upper corner to download the content so I can use it offline.  Are lessons now available offline throug the app?

Bet regards Asle

W odpowiedzi na Asle Klock

Napisane przez: Juan Leyva ()
Obraz Core developers Obraz Moodle HQ Obraz Particularly helpful Moodlers Obraz Plugin developers Obraz Testers

Hi Asle,

if your lesson uses questions, the teacher needs to enable the download in the lesson settings (via 'Allow lesson to be attempted offline using the mobile app')

W odpowiedzi na Juan Leyva

Thank you for your answer!

Unfortunately I'm not able to find that setting.

W odpowiedzi na Asle Klock

Asle,

The setting is a little hard to find. Select the gear icon to edit the

Lesson settings, then go to Availability and expand the options. At the

bottom you will see a 'Show more' link. Select this and you will see an

option to 'Allow Lesson to be attempted offline using the mobile app'. Set

the answer to 'yes' and you should be fine. Try it and report back here

please. When I did this myself, I found the Lesson became very slow and

some of my custom audio players did not work...

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 21:21 Asle Klock (via Moodle.org) <

Thank you for you patience! Now I found it uśmiech

I have only made a litte test-lesson with some pictures and pages, so I don't know if the offline-mark make the lesson slow. I will report later if I recognize that.