Moodle 3.1 with php7?

Moodle 3.1 with php7?

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -
Number of replies: 5

New installation, new/faster computer, Linux, Apache  if all this is needed.

Getting errors and we will diagnose but first we need to know if php7 will work before we put in the time.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve Ambro v3.8

Re: Moodle 3.1 with php7?

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Core moodle yes, plugins probably. I have not found a plugin that does not work correctly but when testing code I have written there were things that needed tweaking for PHP7 so you might come across some issues. I would err on the side of waiting a little longer to go live with PHP7 unless it would solve some pressing issue (performance?)

by Marina Glancy -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Moodle Workplace team Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Here is the summary of what can be expected when Moodle is being installed on PHP7:

https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moodle_and_PHP7

In reply to Marina Glancy

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

Thanks, we did see that have have decided to stick with PHP5 instead.
Apparently there is no advantage to using PHP7 and twerking it.

by Marina Glancy -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Moodle Workplace team Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

All performance tests show significant improvement on php7 but if you have a very small site you probably won't notice it.