Jcross problem: #’s on crossword appear clickable but nothing happens

Jcross problem: #’s on crossword appear clickable but nothing happens

by Jill Hart -
Number of replies: 3

My Hot Potatoes Jcross crossword puzzles do not work, as nothing is clickable, although they appear to be, with the pointing hand. 

When I "create a webpage", the crossword puzzle looks as it should, but when clicking on the numbers, nothing happens. The "across/down" clue with space to type in your answer does not pop up. The "check" button also does not work, and does not change colour when resting the cursor over it, although I see the pointing hand. 

I have Hot Potatoes 6.3 and am using Windows 7. I used the 6.3 installer and not the Java Hot Potatoes download. I have uninstalled Hot Potatoes twice, once with its uninstaller, and once with the control panel. I have registered it under my name, although it's free and only asks for my name and if I am an administrator. I just put in my name. 

A curious thing, is that when I uninstall it, and reinstall it, my name shows up in the registration popup. I expected it would be blank. The second time I changed my name slightly (added an initial) and when I uninstall/reinstalled Hot Potatoes, the changed name showed up. I would have thought it would show nothing if it had really uninstalled. 

The files are all in one folder, and there are no spaces in the name. I have attached the files if you need to look at them. I hope you can help as I cannot think what else to do.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jill Hart

Re: Jcross problem: #’s on crossword appear clickable but nothing happens

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Jill,
thanks for supplying the files to test on.

The problem is caused by the apostrophe in the button text: Here's the next letter

I will fix the HotPot module to handle this situation, but in the meantime, you can workaround this issue by removing the apostrophe from the the button text.

regards
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Jill Hart -

Hi Gordon,

Thanks a million! It works perfectly now. I just changed the button text to "here is" rather than "here's" and it works! I would never have thought of that. Thanks again for responding so quickly, and for changing the program!!

Jill Hart

In reply to Jill Hart

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Jill,

this issue is fixed now. Please arrange for the HotPot module - and TaskChain module if you have it, on your Moodle server to be updated at the next convenient opportunity.

regards
Gordon