Migrating 1.9.4 successful, except on iPad, repeat login issue

Migrating 1.9.4 successful, except on iPad, repeat login issue

by Debbie Kay -
Number of replies: 2

Hi

I am wanting to upgrade my moodle from 1.9.4 to a newer version, so am creating a copy site first to test the upgrade.

When creating the copy version, I thought I had been successful until I realised that when viewing on an ipad, when I click to access any resource it returns me to the login page. Then once I login again, it takes me to the desired resource.

The top navigation links and forum posts once in the forum work OK, but all others go to login page first.

This does not happen on my desktop.

I have not been able to run the search and replace as per the docs as I get a 404 when trying to access http://mydomain.com/moodle/admin/replace.php - even though the file is there in the admin folder.

I have tried in Safari and Dolphin ipad browsers - the issue happens in both. I cleared the history and cache, but no joy.

I tried to upgrade anyway to see if the issue would go away, but whilst the upgrades (minus the search and replace) seem to be successful (got up to 2.6) the login repeat issue on the iPad remains, though does not happen on my laptop.

Can anyone offer any help or advice on this?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Debbie Kay

Re: Migrating 1.9.4 successful, except on iPad, repeat login issue

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Which version did you upgrade to and how (in outline) did you do it?

Could you try a different iPad just to eliminate some oddness in your iPad?

In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Migrating 1.9.4 successful, except on iPad, repeat login issue

by Debbie Kay -

Hi Howard

Many thanks for your reply.

After much reading and testing with no success, I tried starting from scratch with new backups of my original site DB, moodle files and moodledata folder and did get successful migration and upgrade - at least without the repeat login issues. (The second time I was able to run the replace.php script and this seemed to fix the repeat login issue.)

I now have a different problem, in that from 2.2.11, site images are missing.

As I have not used images extensively, I could just add them again in 2.2.11 but wonder if it is how I upgraded which caused the issue?

An outline of what I did is below:

For making the copy installation:

I made the copy by backing up the DB, and compressing and downloading the moodle files and moodledata folders first.

Then created a new DB and imported my saved copy into it.

Then unzipped the original moodledata copy folder to a new, empty folder - moodledata2 (then moved all files so directly in the moodledata2 folder.)

Then repeated the above with the moodle folder files - moodlecopy.

Then I changed config.php in the moodlecopy folder to reflect the new db name, URL and moodledata2 locations/names/password as appropriate.

For the upgrade:

To 1.9.19 - I changed the name of the moodlecopy folder to moodlecopy-old

Created a new empty folder called moodlecopy and uploaded and extracted the 1.9.19 installation zip downloaded from Moodle site.

Then copied across the config.php file from the moodlecopy-old folder.

Then logged in as Admin and ran the upgrade.

I repeated this process without any errors for 2.2.11 and then 2.6 - have stopped there for now.

Could this process by why images are missing?