Is it possible to have badges with the same name?

Is it possible to have badges with the same name?

by Federica Marra -
Number of replies: 2

Dear all,

I would like to know if it is possible in Moodle to create badges with the same name.

Some of our badges have an expiring date and after that the students need to take the course again.  Problem is that not all of the badges are awarded straight after the course is completed.
In this way the expiration date gains more time than what actually should be.
(example: course is held in April 2016 and expiration of the badge is April 2017. The badges are awarded in June 2016 so the expiration date is June 2017 and students have two months of "grace period".)

It would be great if we could create different badges, but with the same name, and give to them different expiration dates

I hope I made myself clear! Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Federica Marra

Re: Is it possible to have badges with the same name?

by Stuart Mealor -

I'm just investigating this question for a client.

My understanding is that Badges must all have unique names. I think the logic here is that even if a Badge is hidden or removed it still may need to be 'available' - for example to check the validity.

If I discover any solution to this I will post bak here.

In the meantime, the best option seems to be adding the year to new Badges, e.g. Health & Safety 2016.

In reply to Stuart Mealor

Re: Is it possible to have badges with the same name?

by Federica Marra -

Hi Stuart, thanks for your reply.

I understand the logic behind, nevertheless it would be great if course badges could have the same name, as there is another unique key (course id) to allow the differentiation. Whereas for the site badges I understand the importance of an unique name.

Looking forward to hearing from you in case!