Databases: moodle and other DBMSs

Databases: moodle and other DBMSs

by Laurence Breeze -
Number of replies: 10
I work as a DBA for a educational institution that is considering using moodle. However, we already use the Ingres and MS SQL DBMSs and would prefer to continue to restrict the range of DBMss for practical reasons. Is there any possibility of either of these DBMSs being supported by moodle and if not what would be needed for us to do to get moodle working on either of these DBMSs? In addition if we were to "port" moodle to one of these 2 DBMSs would there be any longer term effort required?

TIA.

Laurence Breeze
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Laurence Breeze

Re: Databases: moodle and other DBMSs

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Laurence,

Please check the discussion MS SQL Server and Moodle v1.5. You may find other discussions in the Databases forum of interest too.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Laurence Breeze -
Many thanks for this link.

This is very interesting and useful. It appears that a number of people have done the work necessary for moodle to work with MS SQLServer. My understanding from the above discussion is that the postgres.php and postgres.sql files need to be converted to ado_mssql.php and ado_mssql.sql files. In addition a different version of datalib.php and setup.php are required.

Whilst we use MS SQLServer our main DBMS is Ingres which is now an open source database. If we were to do the work to create the necessary modules/libraries for moodle to work with Ingres could these be incorporated into the main moodle product ? I work for the Open University in the UK who are considering moodle as their VLE solution.

Regards

Laurence

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Laurence,

It's good to hear that the Open University are considering Moodle. approve If you develop a solution for Ingres then I hope it can be included in Moodle.

by David Scotson -

One problem is that Moodle uses the ADOdb library to connect to the various supported databases and I can't see Ingres on the following list of supported databases:

http://phplens.com/lens/adodb/docs-adodb.htm#drivers

I also found this comment on the ADOdb forums:

http://phplens.com/lens/lensforum/msgs.php?id=12194&x=1

I'm guessing that means an order of magnitude more work to support Ingres than MSSQL, though you may want to get that confirmed by someone who knows more about ADOdb and see whether trying 'odbc if all else fails' is a worthwhile strategy.

On the other hand you could view adoption of Moodle as the perfect opportunity to explore the possibilities of Postgres (or MySQL).

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
My longstanding plan for Moodle is to move to the ADOdb Data Dictionary which would allow us to specify schema in a database independent XML form rather than the database-specific way we do it currently. 

This would simultaneously make it easier for developers to support multiple databases, and give us wider support out of the box (adding Oracle and MSSQL immediately, with others later).

It's a really big move, though, and with MySQL and PostgreSQL working so well there's not a huge incentive just yet ...
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Richard Wendel -

I have, if anyone would like, used the Oracle Migration Workbensh (Free) to generate the full create scripts for the entire Moodle DB. I am in process of loading it and will see how well *grin* it will play together...

I will attach the create.sql script if someone asks.

In reply to Richard Wendel

by Richard Wendel -

And for those who don't think the Oracle development is worth it for the small shops, look at

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/xe/index.html

Oracle 10g Express Edition, just released.

Free to develop, distribute, and deploy.

Single CPU, 1GB RAM, 4GB User Data (not including system) restriction (Not a box restriction, but it just won't use it, just like Microsoft's MSDE)

by Rich Wilson -
A co-worker of mine reports that that Oracle Express install also installed Apache, without warning, which messed up his IIS.

by hjhjh uiuiuiui -
I  am very interested in the create script to play a bit with it.
Would you attach it?
I'm sure others will also be interested, when they read more about Oracle Express edition.
Thanks in advance and have a nice day.
Manuela Mueller

by Tim Tate -
It's been a few months now since your post, do you have any updates on working with Oracle?  Did it work easily?  What's the procedure?