Was this Moodle site upgraded from 1.x?

Was this Moodle site upgraded from 1.x?

by Lewis Kapell -
Number of replies: 5

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I didn't know how to find it on the forum search.

I have been hired to manage a Moodle site running 2.0, and upgrade it to 3.0.  One of the cautions I have read on the Upgrading pages is to be aware of database schema issues, that may arise if a site was originally installed with 1.x and then upgraded to 2.0.

Is there a way to tell if this site was originally upgraded from a 1.x installation?  I have asked the other employees on this project but they don't know either.

Thank you.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lewis Kapell

Re: Was this Moodle site upgraded from 1.x?

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Tell tale signs that site was a 1.9 ... now a 2:

* legacy file system ... is it on? (system wide) and do you see any such references in courses?   A migrated 1.9 site put the entire system in legacy and at the course level (if a course was used as a template for beginning a new academic year etc. - a common practice), the course was in legacy and carried that to the new course when restored.   A course developed from scratch in the 2 environment didn't have to have 'legacy' and by defaults (unless changed) wouldn't have a 'legacy' link in course admin menu.

* exploration of moodledata directory ... *might* find residual course ID directories which is how <-1.9's stored files and other items related to courses.   Use of certificates was one item found on some sites - a course ID number in moodledata, inside that a moddata, inside that more numbered directories (course ID's), inside that more numbered directories (user ID's) and finally a 'Certficate.pdf' file by the same name in all directories.

Strongly suggest researching any addons/plugins/themes and their availability in the destination version.

Check installations plugins then check https://moodle.org/plugins/.    Some plugins/addons don't have a 3.x compat version.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Lewis Kapell -

Each of the following queries yields zero records:

select count(*) from moodle_app.m_course where LEGACYFILES<>0;
select count(*) from moodle_app.m_page where LEGACYFILES<>0;
select count(*) from moodle_app.m_resource where LEGACYFILES<>0;

I also don't see anything in the MoodleData folder that seems to match the old file structure.

So I guess it is a reasonable assumption this was installed originally as a Moodle 2.0 and not upgraded from an earlier version.

Thanks.

In reply to Lewis Kapell

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

If previous admin cleaned up moodledata directory after migrating from 1.9 to a 2 then no, no CID directories would exist.

Moodle files primary table is mdl_files.

Try this query:

select component,filearea from mdl_files where filearea="legacy";

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Lewis Kapell -

select component,filearea from mdl_files where filearea='legacy'

yields zero rows.

Thank you.