Moodle 3.1 Integration with Active Directory

Moodle 3.1 Integration with Active Directory

by Sammy Deal -
Number of replies: 3

I have installed Moodle 3.1 on a new server running Windows 2012 R2 and need to interface with MS Active Directory on our network to access users accounts. I installed AD LDS on the server and now need to run the AD LDS Setup Wizard. One of the first selections is what type of instance do you want to create? "A Unique Instance" or A Replica of an Existing Instance" 

I tried the Replica of Existing Instance first because it says in the description that the Unique instance will not replicate with existing instances.

With the Replica of Existing I got to the point in the setup wizard to where it was to connect to the domain active directory and it would not connect.

I started asking assistance from the staff at the server farm that host our servers and still could not connect so then they recommended that I try the Unique instance option. I started this setup and it has many configuration selections? I'd like to go down the right path if someone has already been through this. I need to connect to our existing active directory so we con access user accounts for Moodle access and when a new employee starts they are accessible in the directory service to access Moodle courses. What path should I go down? "Unique Instance" or "Replica of Existing Instance"?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sammy Deal

Re: Moodle 3.1 Integration with Active Directory

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I have to start by saying that I know nothing whatever about AD. However, my normal plan for LDAP problems is to advise using a proper LDAP search tool on the Moodle server to make sure you have connectivity. It's amazing how often problems are caused by firewalls and/or LDAP server (mis)configuration. Moodle/PHP errors are usually nowhere near as helpful.

Failing that, are you sure this is really a Moodle question? I just have a suspicion that your question will be met with stony silence... but you never know wink