Upgrade to 3.1.1 - New Grading UI Not Working

Upgrade to 3.1.1 - New Grading UI Not Working

by Piotr Krok -
Number of replies: 8

When a teacher goes to grade a submission, the new grading UI does not load properly. The page that is supposed to have the new grading UI instead has multiple (3) loading icons along with 'Saving changes...' text. Most of the time the page will continue to load indefinitely, but it has on occasion loaded some of the components.

To bypass the issue for now, quick-grading seems to be an option, but I would really like to find out what is cause the issue.

Upgraded version from 3.0.4 to 3.1.1 without any errors being displayed.

Running on Windows Server 2012, IIS 8, MS SQL 2014,  PHP 5.6.23

Attachment Capture.PNG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Piotr Krok

Re: Upgrade to 3.1.1 - New Grading UI Not Working

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

- Switch on Debugging (right up to Developer and display errors)
- Reproduce the problem
- Check for displayed errors and warnings and also check your web server's error log for logged errors (don't skip this step)

If still nothing...

- try it again with your browser's javascript console open (e.g. in Chrome, View > Developer > JavaScript console)
- Check for JS errors (red) in the console. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Piotr Krok -
No errors through debugging mode.
The server log shows 3 posts to    .../lib/ajax/service.php?sesskey=....     that show error 500
No js errors.

In reply to Piotr Krok

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

There should be more information in the logs than 'Error 500'. Have you missed any of the message and/or are you sure debugging is turned right up to 'Developer'. Please, at least, show us the full error entry. 

by Piotr Krok -
I raised the level of PHP error reporting and got multiple timeout errors

PHP Fatal error:  Maximum execution time of 300 seconds exceeded
...lib\weblib.php
...lib\classes\session\handler.php
...lib\external\externallib.php

I upped the max_execution_time to 600 seconds and it loaded the page. (only worked once - timed-out on 2 other attempts after that)
I noticed that the course i was testing it with had ~1100 participants, so that might have been exasperating issue.

I tested another course with 30 participants and this time the page took 11 seconds to load.

That still seems somewhat excessive. (also the 'Saving changes...' text never disappears)
From what I remember, in the development discussion they had courses with 300 participants load in a shorter time period then that.

In reply to Piotr Krok

by Howard Miller -

Yep - sounds like something is wrong. 

Let's start with...  Performance_recommendations

I can't help you much with Windows unfortunately. There are one or two round here who probably can. You really need to run some monitoring to see where the pinch point is though. 

by Piotr Krok -

Doesn't look like it's a hardware bottleneck. Running on our test server CPU jumps from ~1-2% to about ~20%.  Memory usage goes from ~15% to ~17%.

PHP performance:

• enabled Opcache - no noticeable improvement
  • FastCGI is configured
  • increased memory limit to 2Gb - no noticeable improvement

For IIS, I could not find the registry keys listed - maybe it was written for an older version of IIS.

It would be interesting if someone else could report on their experience of M3.1 in a Windows environment. 

In reply to Piotr Krok

by Damyon Wiese -
I just pushed a performance fix in MDL-55284 that will probably make this work for you (and make everyone elses day better too).

If you know how you can pull that patch directly - or wait until it is included in a weekly.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Piotr Krok -

Yup, that fixed it. Thanks for the help!