Best practice for this question type?

Best practice for this question type?

by Sam M. -
Number of replies: 3

We are using moodle for a Bible institute, and a lot of our questions are something like "Which verse in the Bible refers to..." where the answer is a specific Book, chapter, and verse, like "Matthew 1:25."

We'd like to use auto graded answers so I'm looking for the best way to do this. We could use short answer, but there are so many ways a student could write a book name that it would be marked wrong many times. (Matt. 1:25, Matthew 1 : 25; M.1.25; Matthew 1, 25; Matt. 1-25, etc.)

I was thinking we could use a dropdown box with all the books of the Bible in it, then another with all the possible chapters (1-150), and other with verses (1-150). All of there selections would need to be correct for them to get the answer right.

Is there a better way for me to do this? And if this is the best way, how would I go about creating a question like that? Using "select missing words" seems like it'd be a nightmare to try and create.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sam M.

Re: Best practice for this question type?

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

If you use cloze, you could just add three separate blanks to fill, one for book, one for chapter, one for verse and then you could use the drop down lists.

Alternatively, you could provide instructions that explain how they should enter book,ch,v in the blank...but of course we know that students don't always read instructions!!

In reply to Emma Richardson

Re: Best practice for this question type?

by Sam M. -

Thank you, I didn't know drop down lists were an option in the Cloze format. I hadn't used it before.