upload feedback files without student file submissions

Re: upload feedback files without student file submissions

by Phil Blyth -
Number of replies: 6

Hi,

Sorry I've been away. I can't see any issues with what you have donesad . From Moodle 3.1 (I think that is when it was introduced), you can also upload a zip with folders containing documents.

So if you have folders in the following type of structure, using the same naming convention provided in my earlier post, you can zip it up and upload via the same mechanism, and then it is the naming of the folders which is important (e.g. a folder called 'Dolores McLaughlin_42_assignsubmission_file_') rather than the individual PDFs. The benefit of this is that you can create a folder structure, and then dump in the various files from markers as they come.

• AllMyFeedbackFiles
    • Dolores McLaughlin_42_assignsubmission_file_
      • FeedbackStudent1.pdf
    • Elsie Hamilton_30_assignsubmission_file_
      • FeedbackStudent4.pdf
    • Hazel Bender_48_assignsubmission_file_
      • FeedbackStudent3.pdf
    • Malcolm Wagner_50_assignsubmission_file_
      • FeedbackStudent2.pdf
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Phil Blyth

by Claudio Delpino -

First off, thanks Phil for your instructions.

I've created a small google apps script for this task, if anyone is interested ?

I will upload it to this post once I finish some extra fuzzy name matching. 

Thanks again!

In reply to Claudio Delpino

by Sarah Ricketts -

Hi Claudio,

I'd be very interested in this google apps script if you have got it working successfully?

Thanks
Sarah

In reply to Sarah Ricketts

by Claudio Delpino -

Yes, it actually has been through two iterations now succesfully... 

Now, it takes scores and written feedback from a google sheet, and files structured in a folder per student and tries to match them to the names in the google sheet.  It then assembles the folder structure required with the files and a pdf made via gdocs with the written feedback. Of course it also fills the csv with the scores (and the csv is used in the first place to learn the student codes). 

I will see in the next week how can we go about publishing it / making it available for public development. 

If you (or anyone  else) want to let me know some more about your intended workflow, please do so, so I can have it in mind when polishing the I/O. 

Best!

Claudio

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Ryan Cool -

Hi all - 

I just created an account to let you know that I was able to upload manually created feedback files using the directions in this thread! Thank you!

I had an assignment that had multiple submissions, but I only wanted to mark-up the assignment expectation sheet that I had saved as a PDF file (I didn't want to mark-up, and upload, multiple files for each student). When I downloaded the assignments, they were named by Moodle as Firstname Lastname_1234567_assignsubmission_file_Filename.docx. I simply saved a version of my assignment expectation sheet for each student and named it Firstname Lastname_1234567_assignsubmission_file_.pdf where Firstname, Lastname, and 1234567 corresponded to the values from the submissions that I downloaded from the students.

I DID NOT have to create a folder for each student.

When I do this again, I will actually name the file by entering the name of the assignment after the assignsubmission_file_ portion of the name as Moodle is showing that each student has a file named ".pdf" as a feedback file. 

.pdf

For this project I should have named it Firstname Lastname_assignsubmission_file_WordProject.pdf. Then the students would see a file named WordProject.pdf as their feedback file, not .pdf as mentioned before.

Hopefully, this makes at least a little bit of sense???

Thanks again!

Ryan

In reply to Ryan Cool

by Claudio Delpino -

Thanks Ryan, 

Interesting news!

It would be interesting if anyone can confirm if the folder structure is necessary or not, even in the multiple uploaded files per student case.  I will try to test it before I begin to finish off the script discussed with Sarah, but I am a bit busy now. 

Best

Claudio

by Ryan Cool -

That is a good point Claudio. I only submitted one file per student. I have never tried to submit multiple files per student.

It does seem like properly named folders might be the way to go, especially if you can script the creation and naming of them. I started with the same blank grading template for each student, and then I made a copy of it and named it so that Moodle would know what to do with it. It was a very tedious process...

Ryan