Tests showing total score between tries

Tests showing total score between tries

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Number of replies: 11
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
I hope this is not a question from your FAQ ;(

First of all I must congratulate the makers of the Quiz module. It played a key-role in convincing my collegues to use Moodle rather than a propriatory product!

I've planned a rehearsal-test for everybody, teachers as well as students, to get used to the interface. There's one remaining issue: The students see the total number of points between submissions. That way, they get some feedback _before_ the test is over!

This is the setup:
- the test needs a password, which is given to them in the exam hall
- the test is in "safe-mode". They are adviced not to use any other "window" (that will be superviesed)
- students are allowed to keep on submitting until the dead-line, the last attempt counts. No need to say, they shouldn't see any results during the test!
- there's no penalty for retrying

I can set everything as above exept for the third point. Thers's a whole field of option boxes, 3x6 if I remember right. Whatever I do there, the students can see their total score after each submission.

I could reduce the risk by setting the maximum number of tries to 3. But why those option boxes don't behave, is a big quesion.

What am I doing wrong?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

Re: Tests showing total score between tries

This question remains unanswered. I would like to know whether the question is not clear or this behaviour is something normal?

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
I'm wondering about the quiz settings myself. Could someone explain the review options:

Responses Scores Feedback Answers
Immediately after the attempt:
Later, while the quiz is still open:
After the quiz is closed:
In reply to Chardelle Busch

by Timothy Takemoto -
Chardelle

I think that

Responses: are the things that the student chose. The student will be shown what they themselves chose on the review page.
Scores: Scores are the score that they got on each question in the quiz.
Feedback: Feedback is the feedback that the teacher has set for each response. 
Answers: Answers are the correct answers for the test. This is the dangerous one to select.

Immediately after the attempt is for 2 minutes after the student submits their answers apparently.
Later while the quiz is still open, is until the deadline of the quiz.
After the quiz is closed is after the deadline of the quiz.

E.g. if one is scared that students might tell each other the answers then one might not want the answer (correct response) shown until after the quiz.

I am not 100% sure though. I think that perhaps "answers" is being used to mean responses given by students, correct answers, and selectable responses at various places in moodle but I am not sure.

Timothy
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
Thanks Timothy,

For me, it seems I can only get all or nothing. The choices sound nice, but don't seem to work independently. I'll have to give them another try after 1.6, maybe I have something messed up.

It would be nice if Total Score was an option--that would solve the original problem in this post, of the Score showing between attempts. I would use that option too for a quiz I have that isn't scored (I use it to just give the feedback, and there is no real score). I think I'll add this to the bugtracker.

Okay, this is a feature request now: Bug #4276 To add Total Score as a quiz review option.

Hello Chardelle, hi Timothy

Thanks for the responses!

From the discussion I gather that "Tests" behave the way I've described. The next question is 'fcourse, is it a bug or a feature wink

Whatever the outcome, before making any changes to the source, be sure to document how that matrix of 3x6 switches is supposed to control the tests. With and without the new switch suggested by Chardelle.

If there is none, I could give a try it with the information supplied by Timothy.
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Charles Libby -
I have found that if I say later while the quiz is still open means the student gets a grade if they save at the bottom of the quiz.  This then displays the answers even while the instance of the quiz is still open.  After the quiz is closed means after they have finished this instance of the quiz.  I had trouble with this initially and had to play with these settings to prevent my students from cheating.

Charles

by N Hansen -
I'm still confused what they mean. I've filled bug 4483 about this so that a clear explanation can be included in the help file. Please vote for it if you are confused too. And if you do understand what they mean, and can write up something for a help file, feel free to do so.

by Orestes Mas -
Picture of Translators
You can set the quiz maximum grade to 0 points, which effectively prevents the quiz score to be shown to your students. Later, when the quiz is closed, you can reassign the grade to the value you want and do a "regrade attempts" to give your students the final score.

Hope this helps.

Orestes.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Orestes Mas

by Tom Breuel -
Yes, that sort of works. But it has other disadvantages (like not being able to see scores as the test is going on and easily forgetting about it). I think the Quiz module should really address this through the configuration options. If showing scores is not selected, I think it shouldn't show scores.
In reply to Tom Breuel

by Orestes Mas -
Picture of Translators
I agree with you, obviously. I think to this solution only as a temporary workaround.