Recommend upgrade of AMP versions for Moodle 2.9- 3.0.4

Recommend upgrade of AMP versions for Moodle 2.9- 3.0.4

by Chris Chapman -
Number of replies: 4

Hi all, well its that time of year again (for most of us), where we begin our summer upgrades etc..

A bomb has been dropped at our institution and our moodle environment needs 'extensive' work, after the dismissal of certain IT staff... but anyway,

Currently we are running Moodle 2.9.3+ on Linux kernel 2.8.3.7, Apache 20051115, PHP 5.5.27, and MySQL 5.1.69 and the IT guys want to know the latest recommended Apache, MySQL and PHP that will play (relatively) nice during the upgarde of our 2.9.3+  to Moodle 3.0.4 + a multitude of third party plugins. 

Ideally the latest of each would be ideal, especially PHP 7... although I have heard of plugin problems with PHP 7?

Thanks in anticipation.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Chapman

Re: Recommend upgrade of AMP versions for Moodle 2.9- 3.0.4

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Officially... https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moodle_3.0_release_notes#Server_requirements

Moodle (core) is tested with PHP 7 but it is highly likely that optional plugins may not have been. You would need to establish that for yourself. However, if your site is dripping with plugins then it's probably sensible to stick with PHP 5.6.

The version of Apache is not critical - you would generally be advised to keep your Linux site up to date with whatever the package manager provides. 

You will, of course, be testing the upgrade on a test server before doing this on the live site wink

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I agree with Howard (as usual). PHP7 is clearly the future but there may be plugins that have an issue with it. In upgrading my own plugins I came across at least one PHP7 quirk that needed fixing.

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

+1 to everything Howard said but just one detail to add for the sake of covering it all ... that of operating system.   One would assume your new technical folks would choose to use a long term support (LTS) version of the operating system.

Reference: https://linuxlifecycle.com/

Advantage in selecting 'lastest/greatest' IS in versions of things like MariaDB or PHP 7.   And, the goal for Moodle might need to be 3.1 (which, I believe is a LTS version itself) ... or if stopping at 3.0 setup in such a fashion that it's 'easy' to upgrade from 3.0 to 3.1.

Hopefully, food for thought/consideration.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Linux kernel 2.8? Not even listed in https://www.kernel.org/.

Apache 20051115? Is not a version no., I think, more like the API date stamp.

What is your Linux distribution? And the version?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)