Quiz battle : interested ?

Quiz battle : interested ?

by Ulrike Albers -
Number of replies: 1

Hello everybody,

Have you ever used this activity in classroom ? Concerning a specific content, groups invent themselves a number of questions for a quiz. The members of the other group(s) then have to take the quiz ; the group that invented the hardest quiz is the winner.

I really like that activity because it is a nice active way to work on factual knowledge content.

In Moodle, this could be realized by using a plugin that allows glossary entries export to quiz - I saw there used to be such a plugin (it generated multiple choice using random answers). There is a developer (see this discussion) who could propose that... that's why I came here to see if anybody's interested

Thank you

Ulrike

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ulrike Albers

Re: Quiz battle : interested ?

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Ulrike,

I used to let my seventh and eighth grade students (11 to 14 year olds) create questions on new subjects for bonus points. It was a lot of extra work on my part as I had to look at a lot of bad questions just to find one or two that was anywhere near good enough to use.

Eventually, I started having them do preliminary sorting of the questions by using the Hot Question plugin and 'voting' for the best questions. They could post their questions, by name or anonymously, then everyone else in their group could see and vote for it, if they thought it was a good question. Each classroom period was in a group (4 groups) and each group had their own Hot Question activity with a group restriction on it so their questions could not be seen by the other groups.

Full disclosure, I maintain the Hot Question activity now. Students liked doing this enough that when the original maintainer dropped support, I took over so we could keep doing our "Question Contests" plus there were other ways we used the activity, that allowed for student input.