install 3.+ on Mac with existing Mamp Pro?

install 3.+ on Mac with existing Mamp Pro?

by Steve Iman -
Number of replies: 4

I would like to install Moodle in order to test develop courses though I also have a Mamp Pro installation existing and doubt that I should overwrite the existing Mamp. I run WordPress locally to test features to implement in my WordPress websites. I've been unable to find guidance and would appreciate any suggestions. I can develop a database in myphp as part of Mamp Pro and have an htdocs folder in which I'd think Moodle might reside. I'd much appreciate any tips. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve Iman

Re: install 3.+ on Mac with existing Mamp Pro?

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi

That is the down side of all-in-one, GUI-enhanced packages. If know your system well and not afraid of the command line, you can do the (Unix) equivalent of https://docs.moodle.org/en/Installation_quick_guide.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Steve Iman -

Dear Visvanath: Thanks so much, though my unix skills are lacking though I think I might struggle through with Rick's suggestions. Much appreciate the help.

In reply to Steve Iman

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Steve, I run an experimental version of Moodle on my MAMP.  Here are the four quick steps.

1) Create a mysql database for moodle, use utf8_unicode_ci collation, remember the username and password.

2) Create a moodledata folder one level down from htdocs.  chmod 777 rights.

3) Download and unpack moodle into a folding in htdocs.  I tend to use "moodle".

4) In your browser, go to this moodle folder location.  Then install will start.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Steve Iman -

Thanks so much Rick. Extremely helplful.