Future major features
In case anyone is interested, I believe I've found a workaround for this that will work for us. I've done some preliminary testing and I think it will work!
1) Create a new "blank" role with COURSE context and call it something like "Template Orientee." Use all default settings for everything else.
2) Change your user tour's ROLE setting to "Template Orientee." (I used Gavin Henrick's "Standard Course Main Page" user tour for this test).
3) With a new course shell, add the Teacher as normal, but then also assign them the Template Orientee role. This can be added at your discretion. So it could be assigned only to new Moodlers, so that the old pro's don't have to cancel it when they open up their new course shell.
I could see potentially having multiple template tours for different templates and creating a role for each of them. Or, maybe I don't even need to do that. I'll find out as I learn more about creating user tours. Time to go learn more!
After working with creating a new user tour, all morning, I've got a few "wishlist" items:
- ability to disable/enable individual steps within a tour
- ability to copy steps within a tour (to make small changes)
- ability to copy steps from one tour to another tour (import/export)
- easier moving of steps up and down within a tour (right now a new step goes to the bottom and it's slow and painful to move it up near the top, if need be!)
That's it for now, but I'm having a whole lot of fun with this!