User Tours

Re: User Tours

by Damyon Wiese -
Number of replies: 18
I added a project page for this feature to the Moodle dev docs: https://docs.moodle.org/dev/User_Tours_Project
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Shamim Rezaie -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Damyon,

Thanks for the good plugin. I see that it is using bootstrap-tour library and as you have already mentioned it is too tightly depended on the Bootstrap 2.2. I want to suggest using Introjs (http://introjs.com/#examples) as it is an independent simple javascript library. Good thing, it does support RTL as well.

In reply to Shamim Rezaie

by Andrew Lyons -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Shamim,

Unfortunately intro.js does not have a license compatible with Moodle and so we cannot use it.

I have been working on a new JS library which is licensed under GPL with all of the features we require, which is also extensible, supports i18n, LTR/RTL, accessible, responsive, and supports auto-positioning.

I hope to complete this library shortly and update the usertours plugin ready for integration into core.

Andrew

In reply to Andrew Lyons

by Shamim Rezaie -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I thought GNU AGPLv3 is compatible with Moodle licence.

Thanks for the clarification

by Andrew Lyons -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Shamim,

Intro.js is under a dual license. It's under AGPLv3 before version 2.0.0, and for non-commercial use. For commercial use it's under their commercial license.

Although Moodle itself is non-commercial, many of its users are commercial and would likely need to obtain a commercial license for intro.js.

I'm not a lawyer so of course, I could be wrong.

Andrew

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Andrew Lyons

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The tours plugin is one of the nicest Moodle things I have seen in quite a while, congratulations to Andrew and Gavin on your excellent work. 

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Marcus Green

by Andrew Lyons -

Thanks Marcus,

With a few more tweaks I'm hopeful that it will make a powerful addition to core for many users.

Andrew

In reply to Andrew Lyons

by Shamim Rezaie -

not sure if this is a good place for suggestions. I think it would be better to make the background colour (the dark grey colour that covers page) lighter so content could be still read through it.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Mark McKay -
I agree with Shamim on a lighter overlay.
In reply to Mark McKay

by Cam Howard -

I also wanted to lighten the backdrop so it's easier to see the page behind the tour.

I found the following works well in a custom CSS file or the custom CSS field on the theme (in Site admin > Appearance > Themes > [themename] ):

.tour-backdrop { opacity: 0.5; }

In reply to Cam Howard

by Guido Hornig -
Picture of Plugin developers

I added  the following CSS to make it more readable.

But I have some trouble with the bread crumb, otherwise I would have set the opacity to 1

.tour-step-background {
  background-color: white;
  background-image: initial;
  border-radius: 0px;
  opacity: 0.5;
}

I also changed the close button:

.popover[class*="tour-"] .popover-navigation [data-role="end"] {
background-color: #7a7a7a;
float: right;
font-size: 0.9em;
margin: 10px;
}
.popover[class*="tour-"] .popover-navigation [data-role="end"]:before {
    content: "\f011";
    font-family: FontAwesome;
    left:-5px;
}

and the footer info:

.usertour a {
  color: #c0c0c0;
  padding-left: 21px;
}

.usertour a:before {
     content: "\f09c";
    font-family: FontAwesome;
    left:-5px;
}

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Kerstin Namuth -

Thanks to all who have worked on this great new feature!
Now that I see it, I realise I have been waiting for it for ages.

Is there a way to add a choice for the user to take the tour several times? A Pause-button. As it is now, you might click away the pop-ups at the beginning and you don't get a chance to bring them back. Which seems a bit of a waste.

In reply to Kerstin Namuth

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

You can reset the tour from the bottom of the screen, if that helps. Or did you mean something else?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Kerstin Namuth -

Thanks Mary, this was exactly what I meant.

But, since I did not find it in the first place, I think our users might not either. Many of them are not very familiar with LMS. I think a choice to end or play later would be helpful for them. Play later would make the tour appear aigain.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Kathleen Zarubin -

Hi Mary, I wasn't sure where to post this. First the user tours are FANTASTIC!!! Great work! 

2 questions 

1. Is there a place to ask if anyone has a made a tour you are looking for? - I love the Tour Repository but I can't seem to find a place to make 'overall comments or requests' ( I see you can make a comment under a specific tour) 

The actual tour i am looking for is a tour to help people update their user profile (just in case anyone has done one and is willing to put it up lol) - I know I can create my own tour (which is a great feature!) I just do not want to re-invent the wheel if one already exists and my 'skill level' is pretty low (But it might have to get better smile 

2. The Tour about  User Tours - is great but I just worked out that when it highlights some things (like arrows to move the order of tours up or down)  when you click next on the tour it actually makes that function 'work' (as in the order of the tour really changes) - Any idea how to make it stop doing that? (I did also post that comment under that actual tour. 

Thanks everyone 

Cheers 

In reply to Kathleen Zarubin

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Kathleen - glad you like the user tours smile

1. I don't know of such a tour if it isn't in the repository but you are more than welcome to make one and add it to there!
  2. That's an interesting comment about the tour of user tours - I will install it myself and have a look, although we really need a user tours expert to suggest a solution for you.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Kathleen Zarubin -

Good Morning and thanks for this reply. Looks like I might be 'enhancing my skills' lol smile 

Oh and if I do end up being able to produce a workable tour I will DEFINITELY post it to the tour site smile 

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Vicke Denniston -
Picture of Testers

Is it possible to put a tour on a feature, but only  in a specific course or category? If we want a tour in an orientation class, but not in regular classes, or to customise a tour for a program or class.

In reply to Vicke Denniston

by C Behan -

Hi Vicke,

Use the "Apply to URL match" to specify a particular course or category. 

For example if the course id (last few digits of the course page url) is 432, in the "Apply to URL match" field, enter /course/view.php?id=432

Catherine