Log password reset

Log password reset

by Bert van der Hooft -
Number of replies: 5

I'm struggling how to find in which log login attempts and password resets of users. 

Where can I find this?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bert van der Hooft

Re: Log password reset

by Melanie Johnson -

Hi there,

To reset your password, firstly, you click on the triangle besides your account. Then click on  Preferences -> Change Password. Here you enter your current password and new password -> Done!

In reply to Melanie Johnson

by Bert van der Hooft -

Hi Melanie,

Thanks for your answer. I now realise that I need to be more specific.  

As an adminstrator I want to see in the logs the resets for passwords and the failed login attempts. Cannot find them in the logs.

Bert

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Depends on version of Moodle now ... older versions had an option when viewing server logs for failed logins.   Newer versions there is no dropdown selection now for failed logins but they are included in the logs if one selects errors.

http://yourserver//report/log/index.php?chooselog=1&showusers=0&showcourses=0&id=1&user=&date=&modid=

There is also an option to turn on Notifications - Site Admin -> Server -> Security

Display login failures

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Yeh - the current log viewer, unless I am missing  something, is rubbish. 

For anything "interesting" I usually end up digging into the database table. Which you shouldn't really have to do. 

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Bert,

Notification of failed log ins is actually a setting that is easy to put into effect for admin. By default it is se to No and Email Nobody. Just go to Administration > Site Administration > Security > Notifications. Add a check mark for Display login failures, select who you want to Email login failures to, and set the number for Threshold for email notifications.