Competencies and learning plans questions

Höfundur Dan Leighton -
Number of replies: 12

Thanks for this Mary,

Really interesting. We have now got this up and running...to an extent. We are struggling to work out how to get it all to work!

We have a course, with an item that can be manually ticked to say it is complete, the teststudent has been assigned to the cohort, which is assigned to the learning plan. The competency framework is setup and the competency assigned.

The teststudent has now ticked the activity complete and, in the course, it tells them they have met 100% of the competencies...however, we are not seeing that the learning plan template has been completed... What are we missing!

There is something amiss in the chain I feel.

It would be very helpful indeed to have a diagram or even just a checklist to go through in order to ensure that all will work as expected... Couldn't find how to investigate that on the Mount Orange site...

Help would be very nice. I have been waiting for this Competency system to arrive since 2006...so I am quite impatient to get it working!! stórt bros

Thank you for all your time and effort as always!

Meðaltal dóma: -
In reply to Dan Leighton

Re: Moodle Tip: See competencies and learning plans in action

Höfundur Mary Cooch -
Mynd af Documentation writers Mynd af Moodle HQ Mynd af Particularly helpful Moodlers Mynd af Testers Mynd af Translators

Hi Dan

CBE is still in its early stages in Moodle and I am still in the early stages of learning it - and things will be improved, clarified, as we go along. I'll go off and experiment with your settings now.|

When you say "completed" it will not actually say "completed" even if 100% of it has been passed (unless you manually mark it as complete or unless the completion date is set) But if you are meaning that it doesn't say 100% in the Learning plan then...

Can I check - the activity they manually tick and which has a competency assigned to it - does it only exist in the one course or is this competency in any other courses in their learning plan?

Do you have the setting enabled of Push course ratings to individual learning plans which is in Site admin>Competencies >Competency settings?

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Moodle Tip: See competencies and learning plans in action

Höfundur Dan Leighton -

Early days are always fun bros

- When you say "completed" it will not actually say "completed" even if 100% of it has been passed (unless you manually mark it as complete or unless the completion date is set) But if you are meaning that it doesn't say 100% in the Learning plan then...

Um...where do I actually mark it as complete...I can't for the life of me, figure out where that would be! The Learning Plans block appears to be empty of anything...

Ah...when I change it to - complete on review...it appears in the learning plans...

It has now been completed...ran the cron.php...still no luck

-Can I check - the activity they manually tick and which has a competency assigned to it - does it only exist in the one course or is this competency in any other courses in their learning plan?

Correct...

- Do you have the setting enabled of Push course ratings to individual learning plans which is in Site admin>Competencies >Competency settings?

Ah...will check that...

Checked. Yes it is ticked...
In reply to Dan Leighton

Höfundur Mary Cooch -
Mynd af Documentation writers Mynd af Moodle HQ Mynd af Particularly helpful Moodlers Mynd af Testers Mynd af Translators

If you want to manually mark a learning plan as complete then, as manager or admin, click on a person's profile and then click on Learning plans and then for a particular learning plan,click Edit and then "Complete" as in screenshot:

You have to do this for each individual though.

When you say "the learning plans block appears to be empty of anything" - yes -you only see stuff in it when a user sends a competency for review. See Learning plans block

(Incidentally, I'm going to split this discussion and move it into the dedicated Competencies forum as I think it will be better located there for future discussions.)

In reply to Mary Cooch

Assigning learning plans

Höfundur André Romijn -

Hi Mary,

Is there a limit to how many members of a cohort can be? Smaller cohorts it gives no problem to sync to learning plan template, but we have one cohort of 800 users and it will not create learning plans for those.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

André

In reply to André Romijn

Re: Assigning learning plans

Höfundur Mary Cooch -

Hello André - that is interesting as I wonder if it is timing out? I had planned on testing this myself on a large cohort after I come back from holidays. In fact, our QA  development site has many users so I will go over there now and try myself with a large cohort (back in a moment...)

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Assigning learning plans to large cohorts

Höfundur Mary Cooch -

I have tested this on the QA site with 9 thousand users and on a smaller site with 2 thousand. And yours is even smaller at 800 but none of them seems to allow learning plans to be created. I hope it is something simple such as time out needing to be extended (sorry; I'm not a technical personstórt bros ) but I have reported it just in case: MDL-55313

In reply to Mary Cooch

Höfundur Jean-Philippe Gaudreau -

Hi Mary and André,

I just commented on the MDL-55313 issue explaining that what happens here is that the plans are created from a cron task when more than 50 plans need to be added. ;)

Cheers!

Meðaltal dóma:Useful (2)
In reply to Jean-Philippe Gaudreau

Höfundur Mary Cooch -

Hi Jean- Philippe! Thanks  very much for your prompt reply!

I was going to reply on the tracker and test out the cron (so we can close the issue as not a bug) but to be honest, I have been trying to stop work for the last four hours as I am supposed to have started my annual holiday (going to France tomorrow bros ) So I should not really be on here!

André -perhaps you would like to check with the cron task  and let me know, and we can close the report before I get on the plane?

In reply to Mary Cooch

Höfundur André Romijn -

Hi Mary & Jean-Philippe,

Checked! Indeed cron task takes a bit of time but then all learning plans are issued. It might be good to add in manual that it might take some time, subject to how many users per cohort, before all learning plans are created.

But most important - it works and is a great asset to Moodle!!

Thanks ( and enjoy your holiday Mary!)

André

Meðaltal dóma:Useful (1)
In reply to André Romijn

Höfundur Mary Cooch -

Great bros Thanks Jean - Philippe and André. I will make a note in the documentation

And now I really, really must turn off my computer!

In reply to Mary Cooch

Höfundur Mary Cooch -

Just as a final note to this forum thread - we're currently running our Learn Moodle MOOC and yesterday we successfully assigned a cohort of  3634 users to a learning plan template - so it does work bros It's a bit scary though, because when you do it first, no cohorts are created but if you are just patient and wait for the scheduled task, then it all comes out good in the end!

In reply to Mary Cooch

Höfundur André Romijn -

Thanks Mary for reporting this! Would be interesting to find out what goes wrong....