You can see the answers to quizzes in the source file...

You can see the answers to quizzes in the source file...

by Jason Edwards -
Number of replies: 14

Hello,

I created a quiz and noticed a that when I view the source of the quiz, I can see the answers in the HTML. In the question below, the correct answer to the question is "Layout". This corresponds with <option value "80"> in the choices. In the code below (highlighted), it indicates the correct answer in the tag <select name = "question501match80">. So the student simply views the source and can view the correct answer to all of the quiz questions. Is this by design?

Thanks

Jason

</td></tr><tr><td align="left" valign="top">The art or process of arranging printed or graphic matter on a page</td><td align="right" valign="top" ><select name="question501match80" >
   <option value="0"
>Choose...</option>
   <option value="82">Website</option>
   <option value="83">Brochures</option>
   <option value="81">Newsletter</option>
   <option value="85">Flyers</option>
   <option value="84">Catalogue</option>
   <option value="79">Template</option>
   <option value="78">Publication</option>
   <option value="80">Layout</option>
   <option value="77">Publisher</option>
   <option value="86">Postcard</option>

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jason Edwards

Re: You can see the answers to quizzes in the source file...

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I heard reports that my students were cheating on the Moodle quizzes - this would definitely explain it.

by Michael Kowalczyk -
;)
use the show quiz in "secure" window feature, (requires javascript) to prevent right click and view it fullscreen in a new window
Michael
In reply to Michael Kowalczyk

by Anthony Borrow -
Thanks for the suggestion for securing the quiz. I still do not understand why it is necessary (or even desirable) to have the correct answer even in the source code for the quiz view. I would think that when the answers are submitted that it should look up the correct answer at that point. The view itself should not know whether a given response is correct or not. I will be taking a look at the code to see if I can discern a reason. Any insights you might have as to why that particular id (question#_answer#) would be helpful. Peace.
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Timothy Takemoto -

What kind of question is that?

Have you posted a bug? I suggest that you do soon, marking it critical.

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Jean-Michel Védrine -
I can confirm this problem for match (and I think randomsamatch but not tested) questions.

by Anthony Borrow -
No I have not because I have not confirmed what is really going on. Once I understand what is happening I will do a bug report. Please feel free to file one.
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Jason Edwards -

Just filed one.

Is the "secure" feature part of 1.5? I am using 1.4.4 now, and don't see the option to secure the quiz.

Thanks

Jason

In reply to Michael Kowalczyk

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
a small anecdote about security that relies on JavaScript.

My wife works in the law enforcement 'industry' in a very large office. They use a lot of government data that (for some reason) is 'protected' by the javascript no-right-click bodge. It seems that for ages this has been a big problem that nobody could download these reports having to transcribe the data off the screen. Until me, the anarchist, heard about it and suggested turning off Javascript in the browser - seems it went round the whole building in under an hour.

Moral - it just takes one person to know the workaround and your 'security' is no security.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Timothy Takemoto -

Dear Howard

You wrote
Moral - it just takes one person to know the workaround and your 'security' is no security.

That is one moral. Another ones is "Right click provention is a must!"

By using javascript to prevent right click (a measure which can be acheived very simply), the protectors managed to protect their data 'for ages,' 'in a whole building" and presumably in other whole buildings where you have yet to give advice! Wow! From your testimony we can see that right-protect javascript is an extremely cost effective addition to ones battery of security measures.

Combined with other security measures ("bodges") it can make the insecure browser baffle buildings and buildings full of people for ages and ages.

Timothy

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
That's one way of looking at it....

Or one could say that it worked long enough to get complacent about it smile But, I do take your point.

by Yu Zhang -

Hi,

What version of Moodle are you using?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
This problem with Matching Questions is fixed in Moodle 1.5.4 and 1.6