Username and real name

Username and real name

by Nigel Hoath -
Number of replies: 7

Hi.  Moodle seems to want to display real names (or is it just me wink).  On the surface a nice touch.  But real names are not unique.

Is there any add in or option that allows tool tips to easily display both (ie. hover over real name and see username) or if not as second best the option to display Moodle username and not real name?

Cheers for any input.

Nigel

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nigel Hoath

Re: Username and real name

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Site administration -> Users -> Permissions -> User policies -> Show user identity.

In reply to Nigel Hoath

by Nigel Hoath -

Tim thanks so much for a precise and rapid reply.  Must be too much burning the candle at both ends because I hunted but clearly missed that.

Still would like tool tips but that solves our problem. 

Cheers

In reply to Nigel Hoath

by Nigel Hoath -

Or have I spoken too soon?

That option allows

Show user identity

• ID number
  • Email address
  • Phone
  • Mobile phone
  • Department
  • Institution
but not username.  Is that available in Moodle 3 I wonder?

Cheers

In reply to Nigel Hoath

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Some Moodle developers think that revealing username is a security issue. Therefore, they do not offer that option in the user-interface.

However, if you force the setting in your config.php file, for example with

$CFG->showuseridentity = 'email,idnumber,username';

then you can make it appear.
Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Nigel Hoath -

Tim again thanks for your guidance.  Sadly that option applies to certain places where usernames appear but not all.

And I'm sure you'd know if a tooltip option existed so I guess we will have to develop one.  But shouldn't be too difficult.

Not sure I understand the security issue as for that to be the case the password would have had to be compromised. 

ps I'm sounding like a grump when in truth I'm very pleased with Moodle big grin

In reply to Nigel Hoath

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The user profile has several alternate name settings (phonetics or alternative) which can be used by then setting the Full name format and Alternative name format on the Users > Policies > User Policies page

e.g. firstname lastname, alternatename might give something like Admin User, Richard or Mohammed Mohammed, Tahir and Mohammed Mohammed, Ali

(I once taught a class with 7 "Mohammed Mohammed"s out of 17 boys, but all with different 'known as' names smile )

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The world of protecting identities can be a little odd. It has become widely accepted for example that revealing your name and bank account number is very foolish and will result in your bank being unable to stop random individuals emptying your account. 

Yet for about 100 years this was the only way of making a non cash payment, i.e. you wrote a cheque with your name, signature, bank account number and sort code and gave it to anyone you wanted to pay. And somehow, banks managed to (mostly) not give the contents of your account to any random stranger with this information.

I used to work for a company  selling "Identity Protection" (or snake oil as it is sometimes known)