Moving staging site to live

Moving staging site to live

by Albert Ramsbottom -
Number of replies: 6

Hi

I have 86 moodles built in Azure using the azure.cloud.app domain and need to go live with them

Apart from the obvious DNS and moodle config changes is there anything else I should be aware off??

I understand that one might need to SED the DB to replace URLs or using the DB search and replace tool

Does anyone have any advice for stuff I might have missed

Cheers

Albert

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Albert Ramsbottom

Re: Moving staging site to live

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hallo Albert

I don't understand the question: Aren't these moodles are not on-line now? Or, are you planning to migrate them? Only then this database search-and-replace should happen. Read https://docs.moodle.org/en/Moodle_migration, especially https://docs.moodle.org/en/Moodle_migration#Update_links_containing_wwwroot_in_the_databse.

If it is a migration, how exactly to handle it depends on the operating system. What is yours? Happen to read about Azure's love affair with Linux: https://linux.slashdot.org/story/16/06/21/1754243/microsoft-nearly-one-in-three-azure-virtual-machines-now-are-running-linux.

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

What does 'built' mean?  How were those 86 instances 'built'?

Azure is a virtual operating system for hosting *guest* operating systems - which could be Linux (any flavor) or Windows - competitors (actually leaders): Amazon and Google.

Other (leaders in) virtual services from Amazon as an example, offer EC2's but with various options for cores, memory, space and of Ubuntu, CentOS, etc.    And they also offer storage virtual machines as well as dedicated DB servers.

Google ... same thing ...  have a one button click install of CentOS 7.1 minimal upon which I've installed PHP 7 and am using MariaDB 10.1 ... with a Moodle 3.1 (not bragging just providing an example).

So are all 86 of the instances you have 'built' on ???? operating system on a single guest OS?

OR do you have 86 separate Azure hosted guest OS's of X 'built' - each of the 86 having their own web server (IIS or Apache), DB server, with PHP X, etc..?

Since you've already said they are 'built' ... installation of each instance of a Moodle would have required the setup of a web server, a DB server, etc and they must already have DNS (FQDN).   So it sounds like you now plan to 'migrate' 86 instances from their currently hosting situation to these 86 'built' Moodles.  IF that's true ... we're talking just migrating and not migrating and upgrading at the same time, are we?

86 instances of Moodle on *one* operating system where not only the web services reside but also the DB's for those 86 + the moodledata directories for those 86 instances has to be one hoss of a box.

'spiriit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Albert Ramsbottom -

Sorry chaps

They are live on the internet using the cloudapp domain from Azure so I am asking do I need to replace any URLS in the Database when I go live with the proper domain

Ken:

Thanks for you help but I know what Azure is as I have already built 86 moodles in it. smile

Thnaks

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Yes, I figured you did ... that was really for others who might now be trying Azure. ;)

So the bottom line answer ... now that I know exactly ... yes, you will have to do search and replace to remove 'azure' domains to 'whateverthesiteshouldhavedomain'.

Interesting ... guess you're use of Azure is among the 60% of guest OS's that are Linux.   Makes me wonder why Azure is a 'better choice' - sorry, just thinking out loud.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Albert Ramsbottom -

Thanks

It was a corporate decision before I arrived. Its OK got a few bugs but to be expected

These 86 were 86 of the 1028 moodles that chose a fresh install rather than an upgrade, just if you were wondering

I will probably SED these URLs then!!

Thanks