How can I remove the tracking details from the main timeline within a course topic?

How can I remove the tracking details from the main timeline within a course topic?

by Billy Zwiener -
Number of replies: 11

I hope I phrasing the subject line correctly. Probably easiest to see my attached picture to understand what I am trying to remove. Basically, I dont want the student to see text such as "external tools 2" "SCORM packages 2" etc... even the prgress I would like to NOT show here.

I would like to remove the details

Where would I assign the setting so that these simply state the subject headline and not the inner details of what is within?

Thanks for any direction here.

moodle 3.0

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Billy Zwiener

Re: How can I remove the tracking details from the main timeline within a course topic?

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

The uploading of packages like SCORM has in the settings page a block of settings named Appearance. The checkbox cleared should remove any information about the file. I am assuming that you have erased the viewable title of the SCORM from your graphic. The same block also allows you to hide the attempt status, which should hide the Progress indicator.  

In reply to Colin Fraser

Re: How can I remove the tracking details from the main timeline within a course topic?

by Billy Zwiener -

Colin, here is a screen shot of that "appearance" section if Im in the right place. As you can see it is set to not show status so again, Im confused as to why that setting, if thats where its pulling it from is ignored. Thanks for any ideas. P.S. Changing that setting DID hide it from the students dashboard but does NOT hide it from the courses timeline. sad Perhaps Im wondering if this is overidden at a global level? It appears that my quiz is also set in "appearance" to NOT show tracking, yet it shows there as well.

by Billy Zwiener -

Allow me to also state that I have gone in to 

Dashboard / ► Site administration / ► Advanced features

Enable completion tracking

enablecompletion

Default: No (this is checked to yes and I have changed it to NO)

When enabled, this lets you turn on completion tracking (progress) features at course level.

Default completion tracking

completiondefault

Default: Use activity default (changing to "Do NOT indicate activity completion"

The default setting for completion tracking when creating new activities.

Now these adjustments have absolutely hidden the students check marks and progress indications HOWEVER it does not have any impact on that SCORM, external tools, etc. showing from the timeline. After making those changes I now see this:

You can see that "progress" has been eliminated is 1 step closer but WHY does it continue to show the contents of that area??? I mean the student has no idea what a SCORM, or External Tool is and this clutters the area and is quite cumbersome when there are 25 some categories to scroll down through with this uneccesary info being repeated over and over. Any advice? I mean is there a setting for what is displayed in the timeline?

by Just H -

Not sure if there's a setting for it, it's nothing to do with a SCORM package per se (it's basically a list of all activities within that topic);  therefore, I think the easiest option would be to hide it with CSS.

In reply to Just H

by Billy Zwiener -

Just H. Can you point me to how I might hide that with CSS? I might just be forced to choose to display everything on one page, which causes a lot of scrolling down, but at least the scrolling down doesn't show anything that might confuse a student more than they already are. Meaning if I choose 

Course layoutHelp with Course layout
  Show all sections on one page  Show one section per page 

It clutters the page with assignments but at least they are labeled for the student to understand, unlike this useless SCORM and extrenal tool nonsense

by Just H -

Might depend on your theme (not sure) but try adding the following into you theme's custom CSS (if it has it):

.course-content .section-summary .section-summary-activities .activity-count {

display: none;

}

by Billy Zwiener -

Some more info that might help with what you are looking at:

My course is in "topics" format

This annoyance is displayed when I choose to have the course layout set to "show one section per page" in hopes that the user can click on a section heading and then proceed. 

Why moodle decides that the student needs this info is pretty aggravating at this point. I've been scouring admin windows for hours trying to eliminate it sad

by Colin Fraser -

No no, the page I am talking about is the upload page. Go to the package on the course page, click on the package edit icon, and edit the package appearance settings. Sorry, Billy, I should have made that clearer... duh...blush  I am afraid I don't have a SCORM package on hand to get a screenshot of it. 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Just H -

Colin, as I said above, it's not a SCORM issue - it's a list of ALL activities in a topic when the topic format is set to show one topic per page..

In reply to Just H

by Colin Fraser -

Yes, I understand that Just, but not everyone is prepared, or has the access, to hack their code, so when the resource is originally placed into a section, the details can be removed by using the Appearance settings. AFAIK, this applies across all uploaded resources, irrespective of where they appear. As well, a lot of people are not prepared to hack their code every time they upgrade/update, We must also recognize that once the person who performs the original hack moves on, which they can do frequently, the hack may be lost at an upgrade. I try to leave detailed instructions on what hacks I have performed, as well as which permissions I have altered to suit the enterprise need, but I am one of few. Even then I get calls when my successors can't find the code I hacked either because the hack is no longer necessary or the code block has been moved to another php file or is not on line 229 but on line 551. It is just another way of doing the same thing, not as clean, perhaps, but easier in the longer term I suggest.     

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Just H -

I'm not sure you do understand to be honest.

You've pointed the OP to the SCORM module twice when it's not a SCORM module issue. The line of text that is left now the OP has removed valuable functionality (completion tracking) is a function of the Topics format, no more no less - it is purely a list of the types of activities and the number of each type, in that Topic, nothing to do with a given activities settings.

Adding custom CSS is not what I would class as a hack but, unless someone can point to a setting I missed in the Topics format, it's the cleanest and safest way I know of to get the OP's desired affect.

---------

Note that the OP's original screenshot is showing the start page of a course but only 1 topic title, there will be multiple topic titles with the "offending" text under each depending on what is in the given topic.