Moving moodle data folder alone into a much bigger server

Re: Moving moodle data folder alone into a much bigger server

by Ken Task -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Well, I'll add a late 2 cents ...

There are (as Howard had mentioned - muc) some directories contained in moodledata whose locations would affect 'speed' of the server (page loads, etc.) IF all of moodledata was moved to an NFS or other storage type server.     There are others ... the sessions directory in moodledata as well as the temp directory and it's contents.  Where the space is eaten up is filedir and trashdir (the latter if not running cron/task often enough).

With those in mind, I've setup servers where 'filedir' is an alias that points to a  mount point that really goes to an NFS server.   It's the only 'bottleneck' when it comes to 'speed' then.

Nice thing about that setup ... anytime the current NFS fills up it's easily switched to something even larger and actual 'downtime' could be a matter of minutes.

Food for thought?

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by saleem parambat -

I would explain a lilttle bit,

The moodle installation is for a medical university. each year we would have to add atleast 1000 more students and hav to keep thier activities in the server.We need to keep the data for atleast 5 years in the server, since one student will atleast study here for 5 years.

my server hard disk have atleast 1 TB data storage, its getting out of space when i keep these many students data.

Any suggestion or solution for this problem?

In reply to saleem parambat

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Yes - get (bigger) network attached storage. 

This should be day to day stuff for a college IT department I would imagine.