Controling changes and history of who was there last?

Controling changes and history of who was there last?

by Rick Dennis -
Number of replies: 2

We will have many users. The question was asked, If someone messes a section or course up, is there any way to figure out who did it?

Is there any version control on the files?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rick Dennis

Re: Controling changes and history of who was there last?

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Many 'users' doesn't necessarily mean many people with editing control. Do all of those users need editing rights? Assuming we are just talking about teachers as students shouldn't be able to edit the content anyway, then could some of those teachers be non-editing teachers?

Moodle logs may provide some evidence as to who changed something, or who visited the page and when and along with examining the database you may be able to track down who did something, but whether you could definitely say what they did, I'm not sure, particularly if there are multiple visitors to a page and multiple changes - I'm not sure you would be able to tell which user had made which change. But it may go a long way towards showing what you are looking for in many cases. (I've never had to go beyond that when a tutor has said something 'has been changed' on their course, usually to say, yes - and you were the only one online and active on that page within a few seconds of the change being made smile but then I only have maybe 2-3 tutors with editing rights on a course, rather than 'lots of users')

If you have that many editing teachers and concerns over Teacher A editing Teacher B's sections, then maybe a reorganisation of content could be considered.

Give smaller groups of teachers 'sub courses' linked to the main one through course meta-links. Teachers then could have editing rights over their own 'sub-course' and non-editing teacher rights over the other sub-courses and the 'master course'. You could even clone the non-editing teacher role and customise it to grant additional capabilities as required.

Another possibility would be to ensure the content is in activity/resource descriptions. As far as I can see a 'label' can only be edited by someone with editing rights within that course (even if teacher role is assigned - they have no editing button) but if the content is a description of some other resources, say a 'Page' or File or quiz or assignment, and the user is assigned a role with editing capabilities over that resource (e.g. teacher role - but on the resource not on the whole course, where they may be a non-editing teacher), then you would be able to grant specific people editing rights over specific resources without having full editing rights over the entire course.

Those strategies may not (will not) provide version control and may not prevent sections/courses being messed up, but it may provide more control as you would have more limited numbers of people with editing rights over particular elements of the content, and a smaller subset of them with full editing rights over everything.

In reply to Richard Oelmann

Re: Controling changes and history of who was there last?

by Rick Dennis -

Thanks Richard.

I will keep this in mind.