Downloaded submissions file name

Downloaded submissions file name

by T W -
Number of replies: 6

Hi,

When I download submissions from an assignment, Moodle prepends the user name to the file,

But if in my course enrol two student with the same name, After download I don't know who owns the file,

Is there a way to add idnumber to the file name or any other solution?

Thanks

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to T W

Re: Downloaded submissions file name

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You've got two students called Tova Weingarten? And... they both submitted with the same file name? 

If you have two students with the same name on your course, how do you differentiate them anyway? It's always going to be a tricky one - the differentiator will vary from site to site (e.g. email, idnumber etc.). I don't think there is any way, but it might be worth opening a request at (tracker.moodle.org) suggesting adding an option to control which part(s) of the user profile make up the filename. 

In reply to T W

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

If their middle names are different and if you have access to site settings, you might try changing the Full name format under Administration > Users > Permissions > User policies, so that instead of the default setting, language, you use firstname middlename lastname. This will add their middlenames as part of the file download. You could also try firstname alternatename lastname and make sure they put something different into the alternate name field of their profiles. You can also try other combinations of name settings listed in the directions for Full name format. and Alternative full name format.

Currently, in my 3.0.4+ site, I am using firstname "alternatename" lastname. I have students put their nickname in the Alternate name field of the General section of their profiles. It shows up everywhere in Moodle with the quote marks around it, but the quote marks are stripped out when I download files for grading. I tell them at the start of the year to be "Clean" with what they put there, and that I reserve the right to change any inappropriate entry. This gives them the opportunity to have me call them whatever they are normally known as, in case they don't go by their normal first name. e.g. "Bob" instead of Robert.

In reply to AL Rachels

by T W -

Thanks,

But I want to add the IDnumber...

Maybe you know what mean the number after student name?

In reply to T W

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I don't know of any way to make IDnumber appear as part of each filename unless you teach your students what their IDnumber is and require them to use it as part of all submitted filenames. The (1) in the first entry does indicate that Tova 1 uploaded the same file as Tova 4 and selected rename the file, instead of overwrite.

The numbers you have marked are referenced in the Moodle documentation as: "You can download a zip file containing all of the assignment submissions by selecting the ‘Download all submissions’ options from the Choose menu at the top of the grading table, or in the settings menu. The files will have a Moodle unique identifier appended to the name, not your institutional student ID number."

In reply to AL Rachels

by T W -

Thank you for your reply

In reply to T W

Одг: Downloaded submissions file name

by Dimitrij Mijoski -

I ran into the same issue a day ago. I used the "Download all submissions" feature and I was grading students in a separate table and I needed the Student ID.

The current format of the filenames is: <Name> <Surname>_<possbly_submission_id>_assignsubmission_file_<original filename>

If groups are used, the group name is prepended, as i found out today on the demo courses on this site.

I think this should be changed, maybe separate option to be added, so student ID is added in the filename.