True Newbie wonders how to get DFWiki into her Moodle

True Newbie wonders how to get DFWiki into her Moodle

by Susan Sedro -
Number of replies: 6
Hi, I'm just setting up my first Moodle on the space I recently purchased at BlueHost.com.  I know next to nothing about Apache Servers, PHP and the other good things that make Moodle do what it does.  Moodle installed just fine since the site has Fantastico.

Now I'm looking at the delights of DFWiki and wishing I had it to use on my Moodle.  I've been poking around in the documentation but don't understand the basics of what I will need to do.  I assume I will download the DFWiki module.  FTP it to my site.  Expand it on my site, and then...?  How do I get it into Moodle?

Everything associated with Moodle seems to be so well documented that I'm certain this is documents some where, I just haven't found it.
Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Susan Sedro

Re: True Newbie wonders how to get DFWiki into her Moodle

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -

HI Susan,

the dfwiki zip file contains the files and directories that you have to copy into your moodle main directory (the mod, lang, and blocks directory, I think).

Then you have to enter in your moodle app as admin user and then the module will execute its update sscrits. Just remember that right now dfwiki does not yet support postgresql, so you should be using mysql.

Now you just have to add dfwiki activities or dfwiki courses.

I recomend you use the last version, we released two days ago, is proiving to be pretty stable.

Cheers and wellcome to moodle.

Marc

In reply to Ludo (Marc Alier)

by Steve Wright -
Are there any step by step instructions for this anywhere?

I'm struggling with follwoing exactly where to put which directory or what has to be done as an admin.

To use dfwiki seems like the way forward but without *clear* (and i mean DLEAR, numbered, step by step without assuming anything) documentation of installation it just seems a little too difificult - I'm going to try piecing together the scant instructions to date and seeing what happens, and maybe documenting it.

Any help appreciated!
In reply to Steve Wright

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Hi steve...
the dfwiki zipfile comes with 3 directories ( sometimes within a main directory called dfwiki_1.0_rev2006xxxx ...)
mod lang and course
you must copy this directories inside the main moodle installation dir.
Then you have to enter into the "admin"  page of moodle logged as an admin user .
Then dfwiki will start updating the database, as allways you install a new module.
Then you can add a "dfwiki" activities in you courses.
Feel free to use the dfwiki blocks by turning editing mode on... as when you play with your moodle courses...
Regards
Marc

In reply to Susan Sedro

by Steve Wright -
Hi Susan, I've been getting a little lost on this too - have succesfully installed dfwiki and tried to create a simple step-by-step to doing this here

I think we're both looking for something like this http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Contents#For_readers which is for mediawiki, or a similar level of documentation to that in the moodle manuals.

I think we'll need to create this ourselves - Ludo's been a great help (thnaks) but there seems to be a lack of the kind of guide we're both looking for - what each block does, how to start etc. I like what i see of dfwiki but find it complex to use - also wonder what the issues are with visiblke groups or not.. (old bug for moodle wiki module)
In reply to Steve Wright

by Miguel Reyes -
Hello steve,
I tried to follow your instructions, and I was able to copy and paste all the folders to my moodle dir, but when I tried to gain access to my admin page the mod will update my database and everything, but at the last minute it will get stuck saying it needs to update the database with dfwiki, I keep clicking to go back to the page or even go back to the main page of the site and it will keep taking me to the admin section to update database for dfwiki, (no errors) any suggestions in what might be the problem with the install...

Miguel

PS:
Fedora Core 4
PHP
Apache.

PS: setup the rights to the folders to be apache (I had that problem before) so no rights issues. what else could it be?

thank you for your help
In reply to Miguel Reyes

by Steve Wright -
No idea - sorry mate, Ludo'll be your man - good luck!