Essential Beta for M3.1 released

Essential Beta for M3.1 released

by Gareth J Barnard -
Number of replies: 68
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear everyone,

If you have a test server running Moodle 3.1, please could you test the first Essential 'beta': https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_essential/releases/tag/V3.1.0.1 and report any issues here in the first instance.  You will need a little skill to download the zip file, extract the contained folder to the themes folder and rename it to 'essential'.

I have not released on the plugins DB to reduce the inadvertent placement on production servers.  DO NOT use in production!!!!

Because of the overwhelming support on Moodle Garage (http://www.moodlegarage.com/) - thank you to everybody who has sponsored - I have added two new (plus alternatives) colour settings for the striped element of tables.  Currently the grade book, question bank and plugins overview tables have been catered for directly.  I have also fixed the carousel for RTL so that it logically flows in the correct direction.

All sponsors will have a credit in the final version of the readme file at the end of the crowdfunding campaign.

If you are interested in what has changed, please visit: https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_essential/compare/V3.0.1.4...V3.1.0.1

G

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

Re: Essential Beta for M3.1 released

by Gisele Brugger -
Hello Gareth

I installed version : 

3.1.0.2 (Build: 2016061701)   2016061701

In ../moodle/mod/forum/view.php?id=xx

i see this error:  Exceção - Call to undefined function theme_essential\output\mb_strlen()

error

with developer debug enable:

Error code: generalexceptionmessage
Stack trace:

• line 428 of /theme/essential/classes/output/core_renderer.php: Error thrown
  • line 406 of /theme/essential/classes/output/core_renderer.php: call to theme_essential\output\core_renderer->return_to_section()
  • line 37 of /theme/essential/layout/tiles/twocolumncontent.php: call to theme_essential\output\core_renderer->course_content_footer()
  • line 40 of /theme/essential/layout/columns2.php: call to require_once()
  • line 1028 of /lib/outputrenderers.php: call to include()
  • line 958 of /lib/outputrenderers.php: call to core_renderer->render_page_layout()
  • line 121 of /mod/forum/view.php: call to core_renderer->header()

thank you a lot 

In reply to Gisele Brugger

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks, but that has been in for ages.  If you navigate to your installation to the url part '/admin/environment.php' you will find that 'mbstring' is not installed, hence the error.  Please correct this as per the Moodle docs for that page.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Gisele Brugger -
Hello Gareth
Now i installed php-mbstring   (php7)
Its OK now.

ps: mbstring(php7.0)  was in conflit with php5-mbstring

I removed and purge

# apt-get remove --purge php5-mbstring

by Christophe Gaboret -

Dear Moodler,

We installed this theme on a Moodle 3.1 (Build: 20160523).

Apparently, everything works fine.

We can improve verbosity of logs if necessary.

Please feel free to contact me if you need any further information.

Regards,

Christophe.

In reply to Christophe Gaboret

by Gareth J Barnard -

Dear Christophe,

Thank your for testing.  Please do any more checks you feel suitable for your use cases.

Kind regards,

Gareth

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Gareth,

Have installed and run on a sandbox environment - Haven't spotted any major issues, but will continue testing and let you know if I do.

Thanks for all your efforts and hard work on such a popular theme!

R

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Gareth J Barnard -

Thank you Richard smile

I've been fixing some issues mostly to do with RTL and will release 3.1.0.2 beta soon.  Everyone can follow the development here: https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_essential/tree/master

G

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

lol - didn't get to RTL testing yet! :D

Looking forward to seeing it released

by Sam Stevens -

Top right menu text on old nav bar position is tiny until scrolled. Fine if you use the new positon.

In reply to Sam Stevens

by Gareth J Barnard -

Dear Sam,

That area has the user picture for which I cannot replicate the problem.  What browser and version are you using please?

Gareth

by Sam Stevens -

Hi Gareth,

Ah yes I have some css not to display the user pictures and didn't realise that they now floated over the menu text. I guess I'll have to go to the other navbar or use some css trickey to sort it then. Unless there is an option I am missing?

Also another problem both on Chrome 51.0.2704.103 and IE 11. When entering a bottom level "cog"menu it changes all the formating and stops all the links from working. I've purged all the caches on both the client and server side. (also removed my custom css in case that was causing any problems)

These screenshots show it. After clicking on Apperance > Themes > Essential > General the cog icon changes and then I am unable to select any of the other menu items. Clicking on Security (for example) does nothing. 

In reply to Sam Stevens

by Sam Stevens -

Actually just noticed my live site which is on moodle 2.7.3 and essential Build: 20140708 does exactly the same cog thing. Menus do continue to work on that site though.

Any ideas, Setting fontawesome to be retrieved from the cdn makes no differnce.

In reply to Sam Stevens

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Sam,

I think there is a BUG in Moodle and nothing to do with Essential at all. The Site Administration menu is very sluggish and appears to stop working for no reason, which suggests that the JavaScript is not working efficiently enough.

I don't understand it really, but I have had the same problem this week and it is driving me insane as there is not way to test it as it can be intermittent. So it could be your IP broadband connection, your browser, your computer...the list is endless.

The only way this will get fixed, if it is a BUG, is for one of the Developers to have the same problem.

Lets hope Gareth has noticed this too?

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Sam Stevens -

Hi Mary,

No that is nothing to do with this one. Had that pre 3.1 and the new essential. This is different. Looking at it though it does exibit the same behavious on Clean. So might be a core problem. All tries to do it quickly enough but after getting to the bottom of a tree it then locks the menu.

In reply to Sam Stevens

by Gareth J Barnard -

I've noticed oddities with that menu in M3.1 in general and not pinned it down.  Its strange that an icon could break JS / AJAX.

And Sam, no option for the user picture you're missing.

by Gareth J Barnard -

Ok, there is a specific Essential issue with this menu thang more than Clean but happens in Clean too.  Need to think.  M3.1 has made links of the folder items to an overall page for all the pages within it.

by Gareth J Barnard -

Ok, for me to replicate in Clean:

With security folder open on the postfixing URL '/admin/category.php?category=security'.  Try and open 'Appearance' then 'Themes' by clicking on the icon and not the words.

It looks like the ARIA JS event is firing, but not the AJAX request to get the menu items.

Please could others confirm this before I raise a tracker.

by Gareth J Barnard -

Ok, it looks like when you are on an 'admin' sub-page that this happens because the "/ajax/getsiteadminbranch.php" is not being made.

by Gareth J Barnard -

Ok, for me, definitely happening all over the place with 'Chrome' in Clean.  So if on 'Add new category' - URL postfix -> course/editcategory.php?parent=0 - then 'Users' -> 'Accounts' and 'Appearance' -> 'Themes' fails to work.  Remember to always click on the icons / images.

Moodle 3.1+ (Build: 20160616)

Not an Essential issue, but a core one.

by Sam Stevens -

Have already opened https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-54977 but in my lack of javascript knowledge speak. Perhaps you could add some info to it please Gareth to support?

Are you saying if you click on the icons rather than the text for the menus it should work? It still doesn't if i try that.

In reply to Sam Stevens

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Sam,

No, clicking on the icon makes it easier to replicate the issue.

G

by S. Ali -

Hello Gareth,

Thanks for releasing the M3.1 Beta so quickly! I haven't had time to do testing as yet, but hopefully this weekend.

I was wondering if you would most kindly be including the requests from: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=334052#p1345937?

Regards,

s.ali

In reply to S. Ali

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi S.Ali,

Thank you.  I looked carefully and considered the detail of: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=334052 and decided to provide the list stated on http://www.moodlegarage.com/.  I concluded that I did not want to muddy the waters and have M3.1 specific enhancements which would be tricky to back-port.  They are best left as separate contained entities to be funded separately.

I have already added new bits and continue to test the theme and hope to have a release candidate out soon.

Kind regards,

Gareth

by Gareth J Barnard -

by Francisco Gómez -

Marvelous!

I have tested in Moodle 3.1+ (Build: 20160623) and it works pretty well. Go ahead with this great work.

Have a good day.

Francisco.

In reply to Sam Stevens

by Gareth J Barnard -

Looks like this can be temporarily fixed by disabling 'linkadmincategories'.

by Christian Milani -

Hello,

as usual thanks a lot for your work, I love this theme!

I just installed 3.1.0.5 on a moodle 3.1.1 upgraded from moodle 2.9.5 and works great, just 2 questions:

1)
why did you change how the affix on the oldnavbar work? I did prefer the old way (on moodle 2.9) where u had to scroll to the menu (height of the header and not the navbar) before it started affixing ( in affix.min.js -> top: function(){return a("#essentialnavbar").height()} and before was #page-header).

in this new version you force the top of the #essentialnavbar to the height of the logo + position:fixed and after you scroll 40 px you affix it.

A blank space (40px) is added at the bottom of the page-header leaving an hole over the breadcrumbs with high logos.

2)
is there an easy way to use the old pix_core_originals (grey) without renaming the folders?

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Christian Milani

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Christian,

Ok:

1. This was down to this: https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_essential/issues/641 - because the gradebook floating headers in core JS are a nightmare!  I've not noticed a 40px issue, please post a screenshot to demonstrate.
  2. Yes, run 'grunt svg' - read the full instructions in 'Gruntfile.js'.  This was done so at least the standard set of icons where the same colour.  This is all down to the fact that the core AJAX JS injects the image icon file directly rather than calling pix_url as the PHP code does.  If it did in the AJAX call to the PHP then there would not be a problem as the icons would be the overridden FontAwesome ones rather than the SVG files.  Until this morning have I worked out a possible test that does not use a contributed theme that may justify a core tracker issue with the Clean theme as a bug to get this sorted.  However, things in core that are issues for contributed plugins don't tend to get accepted.

G

by Christian Milani -
thanks again for your great theme!

here is an easy example of a fresh essential 3.1.0.5 installed in a new 3.1.1 with 130px logo height

scrolled just once

by Gareth J Barnard -

Thanks.

That image looks smaller than 130px height.  Are you setting the 'logoheight' setting?

by Christian Milani -

Hello, I didnt modify the logo width and was still 65px (that's why it was small)

here is the example with 500px width and 130px height

these are the only 2 settings i modified

by Gareth J Barnard -

Ok, I'll add it to the list.  Have you got a solution that fixes that and does not break the grade-book please?

by Christian Milani -

Great!

always linked to this problem if u have many menu items u will not be able to see the breadcrumbs (menu is 80px height)

and you have to scroll 80px to affix the menu (see affix.min.js)

I'm searching how to fix the gradebook problem... 

by Gareth J Barnard -

Ok, the multiple menus are a separate issue, and in that example are a fake expression of a situation that is not proven to occur in a replicate-able context pertaining to a position the user is likely to encounter.

Searching for a solution will not help in this case, it needs to be worked out and solved.

by Christian Milani -

Unfortunately in my real platform it's happening exactly like the example above, I have 4 elements in the navbar + language + my courses. When you are inside a course you will have another item "This course".

This happen when the browser width is  >981 <1300

by Gareth J Barnard -

Ok before I solve the first issue, what is the solution to the second do you think?

by Gareth J Barnard -

Ok,

Navbar affix with big logo fixed in https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_essential/issues/695.

Double height menu's fixed in https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_essential/issues/696.

by Christian Milani -

perfect solution! and thanks a lot for your fast fix!

it doesn't work if you resize the browser but it's absolutely something that the users don't do.

in your test installation the gradebook works as intended?

this is where it's located in my test installation (it's a new 3.1.1 installed this morning with the essential theme) I just applied z-index: 999 to see it, but normally it's behind the navbar.

by Gareth J Barnard -
Ok, that's a new one on me.  The z-index is not a solution.  The Clean theme applies in floatingheaders.js an offset to the absolutely position floating headers within the relative parent such that it is below the navbar.  The same thing happens in Essential with the same calculations.  However for some reason this relative offset of absolute positioning places the floating headers at the top of the page and not just below the navbar even though the 'top' calculated pixel value is correct for the given height of the navbar.  Go figure.

I'm going to have to call a halt on this issue as need to fix another issue then work on other things.  It will just have to be on the to-do list.

by Christian Milani -

Perfect thanks!

i just applied the z-index to show it in the screenshot smile

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Christian, 

There is some CSS in Bootstrapbase that was added to fix anchor links in the main body of the page. This fix adds 40px padding and -40px margin which could well be the problem here!

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Mary,

In M3.1 I did a search of all the LESS and CSS in the themes folder for '-40px' and came up blank.

G

by Mary Evans -
+@media (min-width: (@navbarCollapseDesktopWidth) ) {
+
+    a[id]:empty::before,
+    a[name]:empty::before {
+        display: inline-block;
+        position: relative;
+        content: '';
+        padding-top: @navbarHeight;
+        margin-top: -@navbarHeight;
+        vertical-align: top;
+    }

Sorry it was -60px not -40px as I first thought in MDL-53049.

It would not show up in a search anyway as it is a variable, dependent on navbarHeight.

Cheers

Mary

by Steven Geggie -

Using the mature release candidate, I noticed that the "review panel" for assignments was not being displayed.   If I size the window smaller (horizontally), it will appear....

In reply to Steven Geggie

by Gareth J Barnard -

Thanks for the report Steven:

• What exact version are you using please?
  • What are the steps I need to take to replicate the issue please?

by Steven Geggie -

Moodle 3.1.1 (Build: 20160711)

Essential 3.1.0.5 (Build: 2016061703)

When I reviewed the developers console on the chrome browser, I saw this message:

by Gareth J Barnard -

Ok, I cannot really deduce where that is unless the arrow is expanded.

So, to repeat please, what are the steps I need to do to replicate the issue?  Then if I can then I'll see the JS error and be in a position to do some detective work instead of flip-flop to and fro questions.

by Gareth J Barnard -

Taking a chance that this: https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_essential/commit/81c44bcd8c549e77ffab813d6632385899cfc19a will fix the 'top' issue but I'm not sure about the issue you first reported until I have the instructions to replicate.

by Steven Geggie -

Here is a youtube link that will show you the problem:

by Gareth J Barnard -

Thanks for the information Steven.  The patch I've just done will fix the JS error but not the assignment.

So, am I uploading a PDF file for the assignment?

I assume your M3.1 site is a test site as the 3.1.0.5 is a release candidate version not intended for production.

by Gareth J Barnard -

Ok Steven, I'm having difficulty installing unoconv.py on Windows despite the instructions: https://docs.moodle.org/31/en/Installing_unoconv#Installing_unoconv_on_Windows - therefore is your test site accessible from the web with a teacher login I could use to observe and debug the problem please?

Edit: unoconv on Win could still be an issue: MDL-54948.

I should have time tomorrow for this.

by Steven Geggie -

Send me your email address. ..  sgeggie@tiu.edu

by Gareth J Barnard -

by Steven Geggie -

Thank you very much Gareth!

Do you know when the production version might be available on the download site for moodle.org?

by Alexander Mueller -

Hi Gareth,

I have been trying to follow the threads related to the Assessments Grade header not appearing on the screen until the display width is minimised. Has there been a fix developed for this problem yet?

We are running Moodle 3.1.1+ with Essentials 3.1 installed.

Thanks again for a great product.

Kind regards, Alex Mueller

Attachment Assessment Grade Header.JPG
In reply to Alexander Mueller

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Alex,

It has been fixed: https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_essential/issues/699 and will be in the next release.

Kind regards,

Gareth

by Alexander Mueller -

Hi Gareth,

1) Thanks for uploading the new update v3.1.0.6. Was hoping you could explain or identify three issues I'm experiencing. The first relates to the course list under the 'My Courses' menu tab in the top blue menu bar. Within the course list itself, the scroll bar is gone and instead I have the list of my courses run down the page, however, the second half of the list is transparent (no white background) and the remaining courses I have in moodle are available to me due to the scroll bar not appearing. Any ideas? See attache picture

2) The second issue I'm finding is that within a course I now have a huge empty space on the right-hand side of the screen (See attached picture) Nothing I seem to do removes this space allowing for our course content to shift across.

3) The third issue is within the grading page itself (this reason why we needed the update). Once our assessors are in the page there appears to be no way out again. The top blue menu bar together with the bread trail menu all disappear.

Feel free to let me know if you require any additional information.

Thanking you in advance.

Attachment Moodle Essentials 3106 Issues.jpg

by Gareth J Barnard -

With the navigation on the Grading screen this is the same as the 'Clean' theme and there is navigation back to the course at the top - see attached.  If you believe that this is wrong then you need to raise a Moodle Tracker as the core assignment module is using the 'embedded' layout for some reason.

Attachment 2016-08-18 12_58_19-Start.png

by Alexander Mueller -

Thanks Gareth, you are correct. I failed to see that link in the top right-hand side of the screen.

Kind regards,

Alex Mueller

by Steven Geggie -

To reproduce the error...

(Make sure that the the instance is setup for plugins > activity modules > assignments > feedback > annotate PDF (unoconv and ghost script)

1)  Submit an assignment

2)  Grade the assignment

When you click "grade assignment", you should see a review pane to annotate the PDF.   if you dont, drag the width of the window a bit narrower until you see the review pane.

Unfortunately, expanding the console error does not provide further clues....

Line 165 of the javascript is:

define('theme_essential/affix', ["jquery","theme_bootstrapbase/bootstrap","core/log"],function(a,b,c){"use strict";return c.debug("Essential affix AMD"),{init:function(){a(document).ready(function(a){var b=a("#essentialnavbar"),d=b.offset().top;c.debug("Essential affix AMD offset: "+d);var e=a("#page-header").height();c.debug("Essential affix AMD pageheaderHeight: "+e),b.affix({offset:{top:function(){var f=a(window).scrollTop();c.debug("Essential affix AMD wst: "+f);var g=e-f;return c.debug("Essential affix AMD diff: "+g),0>g&&(g=0),b.css("top",g+"px"),d}}})}),c.debug("Essential affix AMD init")}}});