Stop News Forum Emailing Out To Parents

Stop News Forum Emailing Out To Parents

by Rob P -
Number of replies: 4

Hello,

On our moodle instance we have a lot of courses set up in a way that teachers notify students of various upcoming events and assignments through the course news forum.

We've been doing this for a while and only just realised that parents have been getting an email for every news forum post also. The parents are also enrolled with the parent role in the course so they can log in and view their children's grades and course in general.

Is there a way to have Students with a forced subscription to forums and exclude Parents for they don't get flooded with email notifications?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rob P

Re: Stop News Forum Emailing Out To Parents

by Rob P -

I've answered my own question by scrolling down different topics and finding this: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=332971

I just set Access Restrictions for the news forum to requiring users to be apart of just any group to view it. Since all students are usually in a group to identify them by class it works well (If it was possible to set by role though that would have been perfect). Parents are no longer on the list of users being emailed by course news forums!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rob P

Re: Stop News Forum Emailing Out To Parents

by Glen MacPherson -

I want parents to receive all the news topic in a course. But there's no option for me to enrol a parent in a course in the "parent" role. It's not one of the options in the pull down menu.

In reply to Glen MacPherson

Re: Enrolling parents in a course

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Glen,

To have the parent role listed as an option when enrolling users, you need to do as follows: Edit the parent role and tick the Course box as a context type where the role may be assigned. Save changes and then return to the enrolling users page.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)