Replacing SCORM content

Replacing SCORM content

by Tanky Tang -
Number of replies: 5

dear ladies and gentlemen,

[background] we have Moodle 2.7 running, and there is a SCORM package uploaded for a course and running without problem

[problem] somehow teacher found some typos and want to update the SCORM package (same content with text revised)

[question] how can we  replace / edit the SCORM package by keeping the same statistics already made by student?

i can't find any answer by https://docs.moodle.org/27/en/SCORM_settings

please help and advice, many thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tanky Tang

Re: Replacing SCORM content

by Jon Worth -

Hi there, I think I have a solution for you.

First, make sure you've re-exported the SCORM package using the same SCORM ID numbers. I think these ID numbers should by default remain the same in pretty much any development tool -- I know they do in Captivate.

In Moodle, click the Edit link to the right of the SCORM package's name on the course page.

On the Edit settings page that appears, drag and drop the updated SCORM package onto the "Package file" window to replace the old SCORM package.

As long as the SCORM IDs are the same you should retain the previous student data.

HTH,

Jon

In reply to Jon Worth

回應: Re: Replacing SCORM content

by Tanky Tang -

Hi Jon,

thanks for your reply. 

1) how can I check / know the SCORM IDs in both package?

I am not familiar the authoring tool by teacher so I guess I have to check by myself. 

2) If they are different, can I just revise it through Notepad?

Many thanks!

In reply to Tanky Tang

Re: 回應: Re: Replacing SCORM content

by Brandon Jimenez -

2) If they are different, can I just revise it through Notepad?

To that the answer is partially yes, you need to check the cpm.js file, the manifest, and the corresponding tables. Hope that helps

In reply to Tanky Tang

Re: 回應: Re: Replacing SCORM content

by Jon Worth -

The easy answer to your question is to find out if the original "source" file used to create the published SCORM package was updated (as opposed to an entirely new replacement source file being created). 

If that was the case, it probably won't matter which development tool was used. I know that Captivate won't arbitrarily change the SCORM IDs as long as you reuse the original file.