Open University

Open University

by Shirley Crawford -
Number of replies: 15

I have heard a rumour that the OU (UK) are going to switch to Moodle, can anyone confirm this?

Shirl

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Shirley Crawford

Re: Open University

by Richard Treves -
Shirl,

I used to work for them up to 3 years ago, I've heard nothing from former colleagues, they are heavily into first class and it would be a huge project to change over to a VLE so I suspect they are not doing so.  However, I'm answering a rumour with a rumour.... smile

Rich 
In reply to Richard Treves

by Michael Penney -

On the other hand there is thissmile.

Average of ratings: Very cool (1)
In reply to Michael Penney

by Jason Cole -
And now...this
In reply to Jason Cole

by Richard Treves -
blush

Just call me Richard-ear-to-the-ground-Treves....

I comfort myself knowing that the OU is a huge organisation so its not that surprising I didn't hear about this going on and also I didn't forsee the partial adoption of Moodle with FC carrying on, that makes more sense.

Rich
In reply to Shirley Crawford

by Matthew Whelpton -
Superb news -- the OU confirmation!! Congratulations to Martin and his team -- not to mention this incredibly lively and dynamic community!  Looking forward to some exciting developments in the next few years.  Best, Matthew.
In reply to Matthew Whelpton

by Andy Diament -

I think it is amazing news - I also work for the OU part-time and am looking forward forward for opportunities to actually tach with Moodle as the vle. It will be interesting to see to what extent it works with the FirstClass conferencing system in place already, as I believe that won't be going.

Andy D

In reply to Andy Diament

by James Phillips -
The OU has finally found it's natural home! I believe the OU also has some pretty advanced stuff incorporating role play and various voice board/live room stuff for language learning so there could be some interesting spin-offs (whatever happened to the potential implementation of gong into moodle? Hindered by tomcat requirements?). I suspect Martin is a happy man (although he already looks pretty happy anyway! Apart from on his dodgy new photo). 
In reply to Andy Diament

by Jason Cole -
Hi Andy,

We're working on the FC integration as I speak. We're planning to improve the web interface first, then work the the FC folks to develop a web services interface we can skin in Moodle.

We may also make the Moodle Forums available for faculty who are interested. But that's a policy decision which will be some time in the making.

Glad you're exctied about using Moodle. We're hoping to roll out the first courses (simple static content delivery) in May of next year, then quickly bring the rest of the functionality online as course teams learn how to use it.

Jason
In reply to Jason Cole

by Andy Diament -
Hi Jason
Nice to actually here concrete news after rumours.

Now if you really want to make my day, do you know if there are any moves to develop the synchronous side - I've just started a project with the new Centre for Open Learning in Maths,Science,Computing Technology, looking at good practice for synchronous conferencing (e.g. Lyceum), but would like to look a long way forward, if I can....

Andy D
In reply to Andy Diament

by Jason Cole -
Funny you should mention that. We are planning a new web-based synchronous collaboration tool. We're hoping to take the best of Lyceum, some of the interesting work in KMI and the lessons we've learned and build a next generation tool. I'm hoping we can start work on it in the late spring with limited release a year from now.

I'd really like to see what you're learning about good practice in synchronous learning.

Jason
In reply to Jason Cole

by Andy Diament -

Hi Jason- sounds a big move forward.

I've only been doing this since October, 1/2 day per week so not a lot to report yet; there are some good excellent reports form OU languages department about the Lyceum experience; beyond that I'm trawling through papers (there are a few out there describing experiences and model lessons), but also thinking about how to apply a lot of the learning from asynchronous conferences (e.g. the million and one things I've learnt from moodle.org; models like Gilly Salmon's 5 level approach and e-tivities); anything in constructivism and designing for learning (I'm adopting a 6 level model from that school of thought to a moodle project I'm on at the moment).

Really, anything into the melting pot, and hopefully a pilot with Lyceum in the spring....or someother tool. However, would be very interested in staying in touch with you; may be able to help pilot new tools in the 2nd year of my study.

Cheers, Andy D

In reply to Andy Diament

by Richard Treves -
Having got over my embarassment (see earlier post) I can now get doubly excited.  Firstly about hearing that the OU is adopting Moodle, that's really going to power some development.  In the HE sector in the UK I think a lot of Moodle's adoption has been blocked by the fact that most Unis have BB or WebCT (now unified as BlackCT of course) and are locked in.  The OU was one of the only Unis left to jump because of its peculiar history in the development of e-learning, the OU can sometimes be very slow to move so I'm pleased to hear its decisively jumped for Moodle. This will make some Unis in the UK wake up and take notice of Moodle.

Secondly that plans are afoot to develop some child of Lyceum, IMHO its development was leading the way in synchronous elearning when it first appeared and I was trying to get it adopted more widely when I was at the OU.  Intergrating  a more up to date version (and I've been watching KMIs developments) would be a blinder of a move.  I have some documents that both of you may find interesting on the best practices side of synchronous elearing that I'll dig out and send you via email.

Cheers

Rich

by Ger Tielemans -
In The Netherlands we have the same University lock in for BB. Only one Uni uses a different platform smile and is moving to Open Source. Maybe this can help the others... 

by Andy Diament -

Richard, will be very interested to see any links in this area. Thanks in advance.

Can't agree more about Lyceum - a superb tool which I would love to see widely available both within and beyond the OU. Lyceum's offspring, in moodle, that will be something.

Andy D