Version of PHP

Version of PHP

by Carlos Chiarella -
Number of replies: 2

Hi,

I have a question about the version of PHP. In my institution we are running version 2.7.12 of Moodle and are planning to upgrade to version 3.0.4.

The version of PHP that we have is 5.5.9. The require version for Moodle 3.0.3 of PHP is 5.4.4. Although the PHP community mentioned that they are going to support the 5.5.x family only until July ,2016. Is that something that we need to take in consideration? Is it a good idea to upgrade to version 5.6.x of PHP?

This is a link to the versions of PHP:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PHP

Thanks for your comments and ideas.

Carlos

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Carlos Chiarella

Re: Version of PHP

by Bret Miller -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

There are good reasons for upgrading, and probably some for staying as well. Upgrading to the latest PHP 5.6.x might be more secure than 5.5.9. PHP 7.0.x will give you better performance.

We have close to 100 websites. Most are now PHP 7.0.x. Our Moodle sites are still PHP 5.5.x though they'll all likely be upgraded in the next month or so. Because of the performance improvements, I'm going to PHP 7.0.x on everything that supports it. It's a little bleeding edge for me, but it's what I'm doing.

Our largest Moodle site won't get that until December when it gets upgraded to 3.0.x.