BlockChain

BlockChain

by Richard Oelmann -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

An open question for discussion, and something I'd love to find out more about...

Is anyone looking into the application of blockchain with respect to Moodle - I ask following the MIT/Learning Machine announcement

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles//mit-media-lab-releases-code-for-digital-certificates-on-the-blockchain-1465404945

I'm not really asking if there's direct work going on to implement it, but if its HQ (or anyone else's) radar as something to be looking at going forward? And if so, what kind of form might it take?

Richard

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard Oelmann

Re: BlockChain

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Is the MIT the MIT as we know it? The "Massachusetts Institute of Technology"

or is this some random outfit who is flogging something, a little like the 'Emperors New Clothes'?

Joking apart, it seems the Blockchain idea is taking on around the world, so much so it has been talked about by the Government Office for Science (gov.uk) Here's a PDF entitled:Distributed Ledger Technology: beyond block chain. which discusses the pros and cons in the various areas in society where this new technology could be used.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Andrew Chambers -
Take a look at the Audrey Watters article. Blockchain could be used to solve a number of issues around life long learning, IDM, credentialling etc.

http://hackeducation.com/2016/04/07/blockchain-education-guide

Happy reading.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Andrew Chambers

by Dan McGuire -

Can we just have some functional reporting of competencies, first, please, before we create something else that will roll eyes of the average principal?

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Dan McGuire

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Well I am happy if 3rd party developers go for it in developing block chain applications, but for HQ it would be better if they limit themselves initially to creating API's that make it easier to add in block chain technologies. I know nothing of what that would involve.

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I put blockchain in the basket of amazing and exciting tech. I would love to play with more. A bit like Amazon Echo. I think about what cool things I would build with it if I had time to do so. But I am still not sure how it would be applied practically in Moodle.

Verifying certificates and anti-plagiarism look like candidates. Perhaps providing conditional access to courses and activities across multiple and unconnected Moodle sites? Kind of like a global pre-requisite system.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)